BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The North Texas Smack Pack envited the Heartland Spodes for a day at the track, Badlands.  DWreck and I decided to make the trip and take advantage of the 73 degree temperature on February 1, 2003.   After meeting up with everyone in McKinney, we caravaned our way to the Badlands.  Quite a site seeing all the trucks and trailers hauling bikes across the Texas country side.  Upon arriving, we learned of the Shuttle Columbia tragedy.  Not the way to start a day of riding but each of us dealt with the tragedy in our own way.
Rich had made changes to the track and was wanting feedback before opening the track to the public.  Being the spodes that we are, we decided to take him up on the offer and let him know what we thought.  The new sections included and crossover/tunnel.  Coming off the existing #2 jump, the track goes over the tunnel and makes a hard right.  This new section has a left option and a right option.  The left was a 25' double followed by a 33' double.  These were big air doubles.  The right option gave you a table top step up followed by a high speed double(MAJOR "Pucker factor") then a rounded table into the "plateau" turn.  A 180 degrees on the "plateau" to a highspeed table and then a Major Launcher.  The next section was yet to be finished.  This section would take you into the tunnel followed with a hard right hander into a 15 foot double and a quick 180 left hander that put you back onto the exiting track and the finish line jump(30' double or 55' triple). 
During the walk thru, most of the spodes got "puckered" up just looking at the new section.  Rich was paying close attention to our comments.  He had had a couple of local guys ride the section and was a bit surprised by our comments but duely noted our suggestions. 
Soon, everyone was unloaded and suited up.  Zero and Will Patterson were already making there site laps and began to get some big air.  I watched intently on some of the jumps to see how much drive, gear, and throttle position to due a few of the bigger obstacles.  When it came to the new section, my spodely intincts said, "No way, Jose!".  I was able to clear the right option tabletop but the others sent visions of a helicopter ride, pain, and harassing that I could not get past.  Within 30 minutes or so, I was doing all of the doubles on the exiting track and was have a great time.  Everyone was working on things that were important to them and most, if not all, were making progress in their skills.
After the usual bike swapping and swapping of stories, everyone way back on the track making laps.  At one point, I spotted Thump at the starting gate.  Well, needless to say, I was game for some practice starts.  As we watched for traffic we got into position and with the drop of hand, we were off.  The two 450F's were quite equal.  One of our practice starts I got the holeshot and took the inside line.  Thump went outside on the berm and got a great drive towards the first tabletop.  We were in the air, bar to bar, wheel to wheel and then it happend.  The wind gusted up, Thump had been able to set himself up to compensate but I got swept sideways right before I landed.  I was able to get control until I spotted a dried up mud clod the size of a German Shepard right in my path.  I chose to bail, picking my landing spot rather than letting it be chosen for me.  No harm done, some scratched plastic an a bruise or two.  As our time came to and end, smiles were everywhere.  Rich had watched everyone and saw that the new sections were not quite Spode friendly and was going to work them over some more before opening to the public in a few weeks.  I look forward to returning and giving the track a whirl.  Rich is a class act and a very responsive track owner, so if you get a chance to go to the Badlands, do it. 
I had a great time.  DWreck and I made our way back north of the Red River and were quite pleased with our day.  73 degrees on February first is just too good to be true. 

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
It was great seeing you there Brian... adn everyone followed the rules... although you tried to bend em'

You see I made it clear that there were 2 rules.
1) if you see someone down stop because there are no flaggers
2) nobody gets hrt.

That tabletop drift was a bit sketchy, din't like seing that next to me but was fighting to keep my bike straight. Fun stuff though. Jeff D and I were bar to bar over the finish line like that... then it was a race to the right hander.

Russ has always had the most technical track in N Texas and he is keeping it that way. He has some changes to make to the back section but knowing him and his track designs it will be spot on for riders of any level. The tunnel jump is WAY COOL. Jump faces are PERFECT, one of Russ's specialties. There are so many different lines around the track it is going to make for some real good racing.

Here is Swift airing it out.

Attachments

• swift2.jpg
    swift2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 371

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Originally posted by Thump
TX Bigguy... he came up short on the finishline double on this one... dint go down so it was rather amusing to watch... and hear.

I planned on comming up short. yea yea thats the ticket... I needed to test the suspention.... yea yea thats right.... :think:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Darn I forgot to smile!  Does a big s%$#eating grin count? :p

Badlands MX

Jun 28, 2000
Thanks guys again for coming out and giving me some feedback. As usual, you guys are a class act and an absolute pleasure to have around. My apologies for the roughness in several areas. A few areas that took years of sand to cover up, have been reawakened by an excavator and a tiring skid loader. TThe tunnel has taken way more time and $$ than originally anticipated, so I have been mostly preoccupied trying to complete it, in lieu of fine tuning the remainder of the track. I can now honestly see why there are not any over/under options around, whew! Anyhow thanks again. I will begin "finishing" the night track on monday following our first ever fast 50 and pit bike race scheduled for the 8th/9th. I assure you your advice and recommendations will be used at great lengths-as always your opinions mean EVERYTHING. God bless, see youze gize soon....Russ

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Badlands MX
see youze gize soon....Russ

Hey!  Who is this poser Russ and why did he steal the Badlands MX user name?  Rich owns Badlands. ;)

Damnit Russ!!!! I wish I could have been there.  I haven't seen your ugly mug in a very long time.  :( 

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
What a day, great weather (especially for Feb 1st, sorry northerners), great company, and dirtbikes. Was my first trip out to Badlands, heck that was my first trip to that part of TX, but won't be the last. I want to see what the track will look like upon completion. I really want to see a race on that fast 50's track. OMG, looks insane when you think 50's will be buzzing around there.

Anyways, had a great time and glad to meet a few new folks. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for letting us have use of the track Russ. Hope we didn't get in the way.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
A very big thumbs up :thumb: to Russ for allowing us to invade his turf! Man, I am sore, but what a blast! Russ, I don't think I could ever race on that track (who am I kidding, I can't race any track...) but the fun factor was off the scale, even sans the usual prep work. As usual, your efforts there have everyone challenging themselves and to our surprise, nobody got hurt.
When we first waled the track I though I was going to have to make some kind of excuse why my bike wouldn't run, but nearly everything was spode friendly. One could have as much fun as you could want trying to air it out (for those who would) or one could grab little air and still keep the big smile all the way home.
Had a blast meeting some new faces and seeing the old hands again. We definitley gotta keep this up.

A big 5 stars to Russ and the Badlands crew from the NTSP spodes :worship:

Zero

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 1999
Thanks for having us out there Russ. I had fun, I really liked the big step down jump prior to going over the over/under bridge. It was good pre-race practice for me for the races at VC yesterday.

When the track is complete it should be good. The next optional rythem section after going over the bridge was fun. Required my timing than raw speed, and I can see why a lot of guys weren't too terribly interested in coming up short of over jumping that section as the dirt was a little a harder than a normally prepped track, making small spills potentially painful experiences. Some fine tuning on the jumps and it should be fine for most all level riders.

The over/under is cool and will make race spectating lots of fun too.

I didn't get to land on anyone this time around though, I was a little bummed. :D

It was cool meeting a few of you that I hadn't met before! Hopefully we can do it again!

PS Why can't I see the pics that Thump posted?

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Man I had a blast. I have to apologize to Swift and the rest of the Olkahoma crew for not being more "chatty" - but when I get a chance to ride, I RIDE! And since I ride, therefore I crash! Old #7 had the last word this trip. She only threw me one time, but I did manage to make that one on the long side a few times so I know I can get my payback! Thanks to all of those that came over to check on me after my crash. It was funny, really - no damage was done to me or the bike. All in all it was a good day for an old spode like me to get to ride and hang out with my fellow DRN'ers.

The only question is - When are we gonna do it again?

-jeffd

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Cool photos and nice track! Looks and sounds like a lot of fun! Weather rocked in KC this weekend too - around 70 both Sat and Sun. I wish I could convince Red to relocate a lil more south.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by BigLou
I love that place! I hope we can set up another "DRN Day" after the SX again this year. :)

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

PS, that pic above just replaced the one MX547 got of me in my first MX race at Ascot as my new Desktop.  Thanks Thump!

B

biglou

That is a sweet pic, Brian! :thumb: Woods guy my ass, you look like you know what you're doing up there! ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks Lou,  just a spode in flight.;)

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
This was my first trip to Badlands and hopefully not my last. Russ was a gracious host and I could tell that he was truly interested in our opinions of the track. He apologized for the condition of the track even though we had been warned that it would not be in race shape this weekend. I was surprised by the traction that it offered "as is" and can only imagine how awesome it would be when race prepped. As David mentioned earlier the jump faces were excellent. My favorite jump on the track was the finish line double. (Funny how the jump that takes me the longest to conquer always ends up my favorite!) If it would have been a table top I probably would have jumped it first lap. 14 riders, 0 injuries, 0 broken bikes and plenty of laughs. I call that a successful trip. Thanks for the invite, and Brian thanks for driving.

KDX Racer

May 11, 2001
Hey I wish somwone would have told me about this and I would have come out and given Will P. a run for his money!!! Just kiddin' Will. And oh by the way Will have you been to Village lately? WOW, the track changes are GREAT!!!.

I was out at Badlands two weeks ago with my sons and Mike Shanks and his son Evan. Russell and crew were working there tails off on the over/under. We can't wait for Sunday, February 16th for practice at Badlands, it one of our favorite tracks in the DFW area.

Hey Thump do you have any additional photos of the new track layout? I want to show my sons how the over/under looks finished.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Russ...I ran into the entrance of a tunnel at Dirt Country in OH the one time I went there. They went over the top, then circled around and went through the tunnel. I think the porblem was that the track was narrowing down to go through the tunnel. If you could artificially narrow the track (with bales or something) leading up to the tunnel, then widen as it entered the tunnel, I think it would help avoid some problems. Of course, not letting people like me ride would avoid more, but that might not be an option!

Hey, why is WP tripling a finish line double?!?

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
HeY, It was a lot of fun, much better than a crowded track and being by myself. I was lucky enough not to fall, it took me a while to get used to the hardpact. I'm spoiled by Nocona and Mosier. It was nice meeting you guys and seeing some of you again. Can't wait for the Nocona ride.

Thump did you get any pictures of me? If you did can you send them to blackhawk468@yahoo.com thanks

Top Bottom