a little help with riding the mud please

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Ok here it goes, I am a 31 yearold moto-x racer just recently back to racing after a 6 year absents do to some injuries that took their time to heal (lol). With all this rain we've been getting around here lately, it looks like i'll be doing some racing in the mud. I hate mud ! This past wknd, i couldn't even do one lap for practice because it was so hard (for me) to ride the mud. Does anyone have some tips that may help me learn to ride the mud better ? what is the secret trick that all you pro's use to make it look so easy ?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am no pro, but the mud can be fun! Nice sharp well spaced knobby tires a must, always keep 15 pounds of air in them. Suspension race sag the same as normal. I like the front end light, try to keep from falling, hold your self up if you have to. NEVER stare at ruts, look ahead, further if needed. Careful throttle control to keep it between spinning and traction. Remember its fun! Vintage Bob

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Aim for the spectators...they're ususally standing on dry land. :)

When the front end wanders on you, don't fight it...follow it (unless it is taking you off the track).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
When the front end wanders on you, don't fight it...follow it (unless it is taking you off the track).

Gotta agree with Gomer. :nod: Let the bike FLOAT under you. Like Gomer said, don't fight it. Keep it pointed in the general direction and let it move around under you. If you stiffen up and grip too tight it will only make it worse. Stay loose and use your knees to move the bike in the direction you want to go.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm no fan of mud either. Agreed 100%, let that bike float under you and make corrections as needed. Stand on the pegs. Sitting on the seat only makes you unable to use your body weight to counter what the mud is making the bike do. I've seen some riders go through stuff I wouldn't take my truck through, (all standing up). Those that were on the seat usually went places they didn't want to go.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Old Pro from Washington State If you cant ride the mud you cant ride 9 months of the year hear

soupy mud Push your forks down 5mm if you can, run 18psi in the front this helps cut not dig I stand in a very loos position and try to steer with the pegs try not to grip with your knees keep back on the seat.

Slick clay that builds on the bike and ads 100lbs to it by the end of the moto
raise your forks 5mm run 12 to 14psi in the front for more grip
This kind of mud I ride a centered position standing for the ruts and sitting early for the corners.

Try to run the outside lines if they dont have all the mud
Tape an old gogel lense on your visor so you can duck the roost and still see for a lap or two

Dont forget to breeth when you start to tighten up you forget to breath. Some times you have to tell your self to breath

NEW TIRES

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
lol thanks all !!! i will try those tips next race if needed. I guess i just have to shut up and ride it if i want to get better at it lol. So far i'm in 2nd place in the points standings for my class.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Learn how to ride mud, you'll own that class.... unless of course you live in Arizona :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Mud washes off (unless it is Cooperland mud). Don't follow anyone if you don't have too. Try to ride a gear high to prevent wheel spin and as everyone else has said, stay loose. Bike prep for the mud is important. Putting foam in places that will cake up will help reduce the weight of the mud buildup. Put Crisco on the undersides of your fenders, the swing arm and forks. This will help the mud slip off of these surfaces for a while.

Top Bottom