whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
On the 06 450 it came with titanium coated valves and their safety link is when the valves go they cup and stop functioning properly, the preferred stainless will at some point maybe , break. This is the rational I am fed! The kbw look to be a precision ground valve and I am very happy with them and Eric's installation. The bike at hand, my main beef is the frame. Does the 150 come with that family car top end bearing? How close do you find oem cranks to being within specs? Does the 150 use the separate oil for the trans? This machine they have kicked out does appear to have easily the potential to be an factory missile, or a dad's nightmare if I see them keep riding them like a 2 stroke!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
76GMC1500 said:
Those valves could be stainless and just show some mill scale?

I can assure you it's NOT stainless steel.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rickyd said:
Any Ti in the future? Or is it not even needed?

The cams will determine if titanium valves will be needed. Right now the valve acceleration rates used in these engines are still moderate enough to allow using heavier steel valves with cheap OEM springs.

Racers would be better served with a good quality stainless steel valve and a higher quality spring kit to handle the sustained revs.

Once the after-market guys start down the inevitable path of building cams that bang the valves open a lot faster, it will be tougher to control the weight of the OEM valvetrain parts, and lighter parts or at the very least better quality springs will be needed.

I've been talking with Mike Perry, head of R&D at Kibblewhite and they have stainless steel valves ready to go along with a racing spring kit.

I've also heard rumors that Xcelydyne has titanium valves for this motor in the works.

I'll be talking to these guys at Indy next week so I'll get some additional details and hopefully some pics of trick new bits. ;)

Last edited:

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Hey Rich, great stuff. You seem very knowledgable. What is your line of work? Forgive me for asking - I'm relatively new here so I don't "know" too many of you long-time-DRN guys yet.

These hi-performance 4T's are really great and all, but IMHO 2T's are better engines. Well, at least for guys like me that have kids that race and can't afford to get engine work done by someone else! ;) I guess both engine types have their advantages and disadvantages......

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
oldguy said:
DieselTech here is a long read but many facts about Eric Gorr and Rich that will make you a believer when we say he knows what he is saying

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=42225

I was never doubting, and thanks for the link to that thread. Awesome! I'm glad that you pointed me there, it gave me alot of insight about both Rich and Eric. DRN is sure lucky to have them here. :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For those who are curious about what their 150Rs look like inside. :cool:

May 10, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
For those who are curious about what their 150Rs look like inside. :cool:

well if you own a 150R you should know what the inside looks like cuz of work you have to do to stay running well.

i know my bike's insides like the back of my ha.....hey is that new........ :yikes:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll have some new pics and info coming very soon.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Let's bump this up and see if there is still any interest in this subject.

Top Bottom