A reccomendation on a dial caliper to buy pls

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Hi all,

I would like to buy a caliper to add to my toolbox but I am not familiar with the various ones. As with most things, I suppose price makes a difference. Is there a brand, or price point I should be looking at?

Any reccomendations are appreciated. I am a fan of ****, maybe someone has bought one from there they liked,

thanks

Mike

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
What are you looking to measure? And what kind of accuracy do you want it to have? If you want + - .002, just about any brand will do. You can find one as cheap as $20-30. If you want .001 tolorance, expect to spend $80 - 100 or more. High end brands to look for are Starret, Brown and Sharp, Mittutoyo.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I like to keep a cheap one in the box, and a nice one on the bench.
Most all of them have their own little case.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
mitutoyo
best solid cheap caliper
cheap meaning under 100$.
my choice for general knock around...

http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?origin=SEARCH:KEYWORD&id=MT5-05637L

Best Best would be an Etalon
Not cheap, keep as my gauge quality calipers.

http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?origin=SEARCH:KEYWORD&id=TEA-86148E

The Starret has an open rack which invites crud to live in the frame and cause a skipping needle and the B&S has no thumb roller.
There is a newer Mitutoyo that has a TiN coated frame that enhances the feel but I can't find that part #.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have a harbor freight that I picked up for $20. It may not be as accurate as the 100+ dollar ones, but for my uses it works perfectly. I think that it says that it is accurate to .002 on the box.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
I just picked one up online, $30 delivered, and it is a Digital one, figured it would make it way easy to read.

Thanks for all the input,

Mike

Top Bottom