Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Just cleaned-up after the weekend mud ride at Cooperland (1 day was muddy, the next perfect).

I hear horror stories about clean-up. Simple Green and a power washer is all it takes... cleaned-up well. In fact the red dirt clumps came off easier than the stuff we have up here. It's really no big deal.

You bring your SimpleGreen... we'll have a couple of power washers there.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Good thing you didn't go down to Draper and sample that red mud/dirt. It varies widely in relatively short distances. I haven't been to Cooperland but from the pics - thats not the red dirt you hear people talking about. I tried SG and power washing with the Draper stuff, no good :(

FYI I quit using Simple Green about a year ago when i discovered ZEP industrial orange cleaner. You can get in gallon jugs from Home Depot etc. IMHO in works way better than SG and I was once a SG disciple. Just spray the bike down to get the big stuff off, spray the orange on and let it sit about 10 minutes, hose it off.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
And isn't Draper woods and trails and stuff?
No chance I'll be getting that mud on my bike. :moon:

:) Ooops forgot you're one of THEM!

The stuff is very similar to simple green only its orange and I think it works a ton better. I think the last gallon was $7 from Home Depot. Smells great, enviro-friendly etc. Mind you the only brand I have tried is ZEP. The bottle says something like 'commercial grade' on it. If I remember I can bring it up to Wardy's and you can try it out.

PS I think ST500 is still carrying some of the Draper Red mud around on his gear and bike from almost 2 years ago :)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
DW sounds like a good time for a Member Product Review of cleaning products. We need to get the under 20 crowd to do the testing, daily, on nearly 200 bikes. Now that would be a review. :p :)

I’m using a product named “Mean Green”; it’s cheap and works better than the other green. Do not use SG on a Honda frame, unless of course you want some cool vertical streaking (if you let it sit at all). I learned the hard way. It does the same to some rims.

I will give the Zep a try.

Come on Okie, put on some bark busters. Man, you sound like Gomer. :|

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the dirt in oklahoma is divided by the arkansas river. west of the river is the red dirt, east of the river is the brown/black dirt. i live east of the river. everyone can always tell when i have been riding at stillwater because of the red dirt on my bike.

do not wear white gear to dirtweek.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
Originally posted by TTRGuy
.....i discovered ZEP industrial orange cleaner. You can get in gallon jugs from Home Depot etc........Just spray the bike down to get the big stuff off, spray the orange on and let it sit about 10 minutes, hose it off.

I'll vouch for this stuff. I picked up a jug of the ZEP brand cleaner at Home Depot. Great stuff. I've used it on my bike as well. Another tip...I've used it for cleaning my air filters. I just spray it on superthick and work it in and around the dirty filter. It gets rid of all the old filter oil and dirt. Rinse it off and let it dry. It's worked better than anything else I've tried for conventional type cleaners (never tried NoToil).

However...let's not discount Simple Green either. I still use that stuff quite liberally for all purposes. Also great stuff.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999

:) Ooops forgot you're one of THEM!

The stuff is very similar to simple green only its orange and I think it works a ton better. I think the last gallon was $7 from Home Depot. Smells great, enviro-friendly etc. Mind you the only brand I have tried is ZEP. The bottle says something like 'commercial grade' on it. If I remember I can bring it up to Wardy's and you can try it out.
You do that and we might let you try out your new power washer- if you remember to change the oil first ;)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The red dirt is the part of Oklahoma that you get to take back home with you. We are more than just good, friendly people - we have nice, red dirt. The amount of scrubbing you have to do after the ride is a solid indicator of how much riding you have done, and how good it was\wasn't. The fact that Ed actually knows about cleaning is a clear indication that he is a graduate of the Draper school of riding.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm gonna buy some of that cheap Zuki Yellow gear. Then maybe when DirtWeek's over, it will be manly orange! :D

( I'm wiff bscottr, hard to beat MeanGreen at $5 a gallon from the Dollar Store :) )

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Fellas, give the ZEP orange stuff a try, I only use about half as much of it as I was using SG and its only about $7/gal.

On another note, I was wondering if there was any way to pre-treat riding gear to keep the red mud from 'setting' into the fabric?

I am also planning on stripping the bikes down fairly well and spraying silicone all over them to make it mucho easier to wash off later. I'll probably use a whole can on each bike, every nook and cranny. I have found that it works much better than WD-40 etc.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Scotch has different grades of silicone spray to waterproof clothing and shoes, it works well but won't last much past the washing machine.
(high dollar product)

WD-40 is silicone. :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I am also planning on stripping the bikes down fairly well and spraying silicone all over them to make it mucho easier to wash off later. I'll probably use a whole can on each bike, every nook and cranny.

Be sure to spray your seat. :scream:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
That's gonna leave a mark :)
LOL Tommy Boy!
TTR-guy asked,
On another note, I was wondering if there was any way to pre-treat riding gear to keep the red mud from 'setting' into the fabric?
Ride naked and your clothes won't get stained. However, if anyone chooses to take this advice, please, PLEASE remind me to bring my darkest sunglasses.

Last edited:

Brownie

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
I live at Cooperland (I am the owner) and the dirt is no big deal. The dirt at the Sillwater 500 is red clay that stains but the dirt here is not nearly as bad, it is more sandy here. I have all white gear and boots (and I ride here more than anyone) and it does not stain unless you plan on rolling around on the ground (which some of you will probually end up doing, especially Thump). So don't worry about ruining your gear.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Brownie
and it does not stain unless you plan on rolling around on the ground (which some of you will probually end up doing, especially Thump).

I've only seen that when he's been riding an underpowered Zuki that couldn't make it up the jump face. He kinda rolled up the face, power fell off, bike fell over, and he rolled down the jump face. :eek:

:) :) :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Speedy,
I know that WD-40 claims no silicone, but I have been priviy to some discussion between some auto mfg's that tested WD-40 in their painting operations and found that the formula craters both solvent and water based paints in a manner that is unlike any other component save for silicone or aluminum chlorhydrate. (meaning that the cratering can occur just by being in the vicinity of the product rather than it being actually applied) WD-40 claimed it had neither. One particular auto mfg. was going to allow WD-40 on their vendors list for use in other than paint areas, but WD-40 refused to give a full disclosure MSDS as to the actual ingredients of the solution. They choose to lose a very large account rather than let the facts be known.
Many still contend that WD-40 does in fact contain silicone. And unless one would spend the dinero to reverse engineer the product to confirm, they say what they want.
One fact I do know...if it doesn't conatain silicone it most definately mimics it's effects.

Top Bottom