oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
a very good representation of why our sport is in danger of dying

Don't just watch it!!! Get everyone you know to send emails because even non riders will be affected by this broadsweeping act. Don't just talk and bitch here on DRN- Let your representatives know the truth about dirtbikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i don´t live in usa... not even close, but if i know europe and portugal in particular, at the most in two years we will be in the same boat... i´ll try to do my part... all motorcycle riding is dieing, not only dirt riding...

sad to know... :|

Last edited:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
helio lucas said:
i don´t live in usa... not even close, but if i know europe and portugal in particular, at the most in two years we will be in the same boat... i´ll try to do my part... all motorcycle riding is dieing, not only dirt riding...

sad to know... :|
Thank you Lucas
That is more than many of the US riders will do. It really could become a global issue and needs to be stopped

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Feb 26, 2006
This is rediculous. How can they just ban small motorcycles. I really thing we should get some kind of petition or organized something to speak out against this. It's only a matter of time before they will ban our sport. Facebook here I come!

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Here is what I got back

Thank you for contacting me concerning compliance with provisions contained in H.R. 4040, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008, which became law on August 14, 2008. I appreciate hearing from you regarding this important matter.

I worked with my colleagues in Congress to develop this legislation, and an important component of the bill is the enactment of stricter regulations to better protect children from the harmful health effects of lead. My colleagues and I specifically allowed the Consumer Product Safety Commission to exempt products that contained lead but would not result in lead absorption into a child's body under normal use.

Like you, I have concerns with the implementation of this law. The intent of the law is to protect children's health and safety and not to put undue burdens on manufacturers and retailers. I have contacted the CPSC to discuss a children's All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) exemption. However, the CPSC has determined that regular use of current children's ATV's would result in high levels of lead exposure with high probability of absorption.

According to a CPSC commissioner, studies have shown that lead reduction is an important issue for the health of American children. Removing lead from products such as gasoline and paint has been correlated with higher student test scores and reduced crime rates among juveniles. Despite these efforts there continues to be lead in children's products.

I know that children's ATV manufacturers are concerned about child safety and health and will work with retailers and the public to address the situation of making ATVs safer for our children. You can review the final rules on this site: http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/sbguide.pdf.

Thank you again for sharing your views on this issue. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact me at 503-326-2901 or 800-422-4003.

With warm regards,

David Wu
Member of Congress

Top Bottom