XR 250R RIDER

Apr 5, 2001
I have just bought a used 2000XR 250R. I have not driven it to much.I was wondering if anybody has riden this bike more, and what I should watch out for and what would you recommend for aftermarket products. I am new to this and don't know to much and any help woul be appricated.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
They're a great all-around bike, fun to ride.

It's pretty much a bullet-proof design, just change the oil frequently (I do after every weekend of riding, but then I'm paranoid!) and use a good quality oil (like the Hondaline).

As far as hop-ups go, the headers don't need to be replaced, but you can do something about the muffler. You can replace it with a bunch of different systems, or you can install a Thumper snuffer - it's an insert which lets the bike breathe better. In fact, it's the same increase in hp on a stock bike as you'd get from a whole new muffler!

I don't have the phone # or website address handy for Thumper Racing, sorry! They're out of Texas.

PJ

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I personally think the most benefit comes from a proper set-up suspension. If this is a bike you plan on keeping for awhile, you will not regret it. MX-Tech advertises on this board, give them a call. Contrary to popular belief, the stock exhaust is not bad, the Thumper insert will help a little. Other than that, save your money for things like good bars, air filter,tires, oil, and quality riding gear. A nice tool set is alway's a good investment, as well as a fanny pack. Then ride, and ride, and ride, and ride.

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
XR 250R RIDER: One thing you might already know if you've changed the oil is that when you start to refill it with oil through the dipstick hole you just want to put 1 quart of oil in then start it up, let it run for a little while(it won't hrt it) then check and fill to the top of the slash marks on the dipstick. If you don't do this you will make a BIG mess by overfilling and running oil all over your engine and bike.
As for setup tips, aftermarket exhaust: my choice White Bros E-series, air filter:UNI or White Power filter, remove plastic snorkel from air box and leter rip.
For the stock exhaust a 96 or 97 XR400 stainless end cap with the restrictor removed will also open it up.
Suspention: W.E.R. Cris Smith the owner of W.E.R.'s brother, rode XR250's for a few years in enduro's and ISDE's ,they have more time testing suspention on this bike than anybody. I sent my forks and shock to them and they revalved and raised them 3/4 of an inch to get it up out of the ruts. They did a great job and the bike is more fun to ride than ever.
Ride it and have fun, don't be afraid to rev on it a little, it'll take it.

Kevin

------------------

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Listen to KevinB4stk's advice on the oil changes. It can be kinda scary if you overfill the oil. When I had my XR 250 i overfilled it once and on the first loong ride I ended up with a bike and self covered in oil, not a pleasant experience.

------------------

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I highly reccomend when someone is dealing with an unfamiliar bike, they read the owners manual. This alway's covers basic maintenance, and safety, and can save some headaches. They come free with the machines when baught. If you are buying a second hand bike, ask the seller for it. If he doesn't have it, go to your nearest dealer, alot of times they will have some hanging around.

------------------

XR 250R RIDER

Apr 5, 2001
Thanks so far for the advise. Would anyone recommend buying the service manuel directly from Honda or would it be better to look somewhere else for a tuning manuel. Also what manuel would you recommend.

------------------

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Buy the Honda manual from your dealer, I paid $55.00. The price is steep, but it is an excellent manual.

------------------

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Xr,
Great investment, You will get years of service from your xr. Air filter maintance along with oil filter and oil will be the key to keeping engine wear down.

Here are some simple tips:

Measure your oil, I use a ratio right measuring cup and put exactly 1.5 qts when changing oil and oil filter. A qt bottle is not as accurate as you think..

Next purchase a second air filter (stock is best) This extra filter helps to always have a clean filter on hand and when you do have to get greasy and wash the filters, wash them both at the same time and store the spair in a zip lock bag.

Keep that filter clean and the oil too, and your xr will thank you with years of trouble free service...

Good choice,
Dirt Tooth

------------------

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I had a '97 XR250, after wanting one since I was a kid (many years ago). Great bike, but I went for a WR400 after a couple years. Here are some more tips, some the same as what you heard:
1. Get the service manual!
2. Get an aftermarket air filter, the stock one breaks down quickly
3. Remove the air baffle under the seat.
4. It used to be you had to get a new exhaust tip, but I understand the new exhausts work really good.
5. With more experience, you'll want to modify the suspension. Ride your bike for a year or so first.
6. A Summer's Racing fork brace works wonders on the front end, helping steering precision immensely.
7. Key engine maintenance - change oil frequently and learn how to adjust the valve clearance (see the manual you bought in step 1!)

Enjoy your bike!

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

Top Bottom