Rossco

Sep 17, 2000
Tell me what you think on this one. It is 47 degrees in my garage right now. I have a 2001 XR250 and I CAN NOT get this dang beast to start. I am starting to get really frustrated. This bike is a LOT harder to start than my old XR100. I am trying every technique I know and what my Service Manual tells me to do. Do you think it is still to cold out for it? Or is there something wrong with it? Actaully, I think it is either too cold for it or I am doing something wrong. PLEASE give me some advice on starting or moral support or something. Haha. Thanks so much
Ross

Crash_Alot

Sep 12, 2000
Hey Rossco,
To get mine going, I turn on the choke, pin the throttle and kick it over twice. Then release the throttle and give her hell. If after 5 of 6 kicks it doesn't fire, repeat the above sequence. If she still won't fire after 3 or 4 times using this procedure, try replacing the spark plug.

Good luck.

Rossco

Sep 17, 2000
Is there a trick to getting the spark plug out? I tryed to get it out, but I think the dealer gave me the wrong size socket? Thanks a LOT
Ross

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
It's not too cold. I start my XRs at cold temps frequently. Here's what works for me. (1)Go full choke, NO throttle and kick until it trys to start (sputters). (2)Then go half choke and when it trys, slightly blip the throttle. If it catches, keep the motor slightly rev'd until it will idle at half choke. On some very cold and stubborn mornings, I eliminate step (2). If you think it's flooded and won't start, pull and hold the compression release and go full open throttle, kicking 6 times to clear it out. Then start over. You'll develop a "feel" for it eventually (along with a very strong right leg). My Bro-in-law's bike was stubborn at altitude/cold temp when new and got better after a few rides.

[This message has been edited by mtngoat (edited 04-02-2001).]

PK

Feb 27, 2000
A new bike is always harder to start than a used one. You may have flooded it in your efforts to bring life to your XR. Try a new plug, which you are obviously looking into since you are attempting to remove the plug. There is no real trick to removing the plug, the stock one should do the trick but if it isn't, you may have to remove the gas tank so you can get a good shot at it with a regular spark plug socket. If it was my bike, I would swallow my pride and pull start the damn thing. Before I do that I would ensure nothing has been over looked. Got gas? Check the air filter? Check for spark? Fresh spark plug? I say bump start the rascal. When I was in Alaska, I rode my XR400 when it was below freezing many a time. It was obviously harder to start at that temperature, but it would start after 6 or 7 kicks. Keep at it.

Pat

Top Bottom