Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Last edited:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Hi, has been a long time since I´ve last posted here. I visit regulary though.

AJP are made in portugal, they use a chinese 125cc engine, italian paioli suspension and adapted polisport plastics from kx and yz 125. Newer models seems to be better, I had one PR4 model, 2001, wich is best defined as garbage. The only positive aspect I can remember was is stability, I could easly do off-road with a passenger with only one hand in the handlebar at around 60-70 km/h. Really...
The suspension is very soft but very good for a entry level bike.

BUT the bike simply refuses to turn, the turning radius is extremelly large, even when the bike is leaned the front end just does´t turn! The sensation was like trying to slalom a 20T truck. And it was not only the wheight, wich is clearly too much, the bike geometry was very strange.
Construction is not good, there was not one single part that fit well.
Best of all, the intake system composed of fuel pump (the fuel reservoir is on normal airbox place), chinese carb and some sort of noise amplifier/power restrictor/filter system. To the driver, a simple filter atached to the carb made the bike much more quiet than original system, even with a adapted airbox.

Their marketing departement lately is to investing a lot on getting a AJP bike through the Enduros with newer bikes on the last years (and with celebrities as well). I cannot comment anything about newer models like the PR3 and PR5, I can say that on the 90´s they had a two-stroke GALP 50cc model that was very good, a reference really, so they know how to build bikes for our market. I applaud their effort in a difficult market and hope newer bikes are up to 2010 standards, not 1980.

Mine was this:
Foto348.jpg

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I'm just glad they wernt AJW's

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Me??? nahhh, I´ve sold it quite long time ago... Right after I bought it...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Looks like they are trying to go big now. I just saw in the Sept 14 DirtRider mag that they are being imported by AJP USA in Vermont. Their website certainly looks good! Lots of neat features...whether or not they work is a whole other topic!
http://motoajp.com/

Top Bottom