Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'd like to have some of that non-natural RC ability! Watching the last round on TV I thought he looked much smoother than ever, much less on the edge than in the past. Of course that could be the superior technology he's riding... J/K!!!!!! ... but really, he looks more comfortable and smooth than in years past.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
weimedog said:
Why such a big difference between there two riders and the rest of the Moto Cross world???

Because SoCal is full of posers and whiners, and most tracks here are just flat pieces of ground with a few humps of hardpacked dirt in the middle with nicely made berms.

when it rains here, people wont ride. if the track isnt prepped as smooth as a road race course they complain. kids here, think spending $150 on graphics will make them faster than spending 20 minutes on a practise day to figure out the best main jet their bike run well. most races here are run for 5 laps or something, rather than 15 or 20 mins + 1 lap, but i dont know how that differs from the rest of the world

however, there are a couple of places that are good here- Josh Grant raced most weekends at the Glen Helen back track and he is doing OK:)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
World's 2 biggest myths:

1) The rich don't pay taxes
2) RC is not talented

Bottom line is the top pros are wired differently than us mortals. Same thing with top car drivers.

IMO, the best have an ability to sense the limit of traction and operate safely within a hair of that limit by instinctively making minute adjustments. The rest of us are unable to make such fine adjustments. The average rider must operate with a much larger saftey margin, or else he will auger in.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I would agree with Dave that RC has **** loads of natural ability. If he slowed down to Kevin Wyndoms pace, he'd probably be even smoother and more gracefull looking than the K-dub is. RC has as much or more natural ability than anyone in his class, yet also has that ballsyness it takes to ride on the ragged edge.
I've seen some c and d class riders with RC's ballsyness and determination, but they just don't have the talent, skill, and reflexes to ride that fast.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Maybe its the 450, but at Budds this weekend RC looked very smooth I thought. I mean guys like Bubba look like they are going fast, but RC didn't really appear to be. He was going so fast it looked like he was going slow. Does that make sense? I agree wtih Okie, his riding seemed very controlled.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I believe the 4 stroke is the reason he looks smoother.
RC is not as naturally gifted as a Windham, Bayle, or a Reed.
What RC has is a strong distaste for finishing second. He is the second coming of Hannah.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
XRpredator said:
Rat, there is very little "grace" in the way RC rides. Also, I don't think he's so much "naturally" talented as he is determined not to lose.

"Dude, you may know less about moto than anyone."

Sorry Jag, XRP just one upped ya. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!! :rotfl:

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I was playing fetch with my neighbors dog today. It's some kind of terrier breed that's known for being athletic. Anyway, my labrador is fast and determined about going after a stick. If you watch him by himself he looks like the ultimate dog-athlete.
But, compared to this terrier, he is a total klutz. The terrier is so fast, quick, and agile it's amazing.
That's what separates good riders from great riders. Pure natural talent and athleticism.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Whose is to say that natural talent is all a racer needs to be great, we have all seen these riders that had more natural talent than you could shake a stick at but have accomplished squat in the pro ranks compared to what there natural talent could have afforded them: Windham, Millsaps(so far), Roncada, Pastrana, and a whole list of failed mini stars. What RC may lack in natural talent he more than makes up for during the week by busting his ass twice as hard and for twice as long than any other man on the track.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
You ever see a guy who tears it up in practice, but falls apart during the race?

Ricky Carmichael is impervious to pressure.
He has tons of talent, desire, conditioning and strength with the ability to focus it like a laser beem, blocking out every distraction imaginable. He is simply the best. Ever!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I see Bubba as the second coming of Hannah....reason is Hannah changed the way the sport was done. RC has brought standard tactics to the peak of their effectiveness while JS, as Hannah did before him; is in the process of changing all the conventional logic as to what can be done with a motorcycle. And Hannah was even more cocky than James Stewart and I think Hannah had less class. But thats me. I watched in awe as he redefined the sport right up until he got busted up water skiing with, of all people, Marty Tripes; one of his rivals of the time. He would just destroy the pack when he felt like it. I remember watching him at Daytona clearing this huge jump, and casually pulling a tearoff from his goggles, pitching them to the side, and landing like he had done nothing with the gas completely on; amazing at that time. Of course he was in the process of just blowing every one else away as Stewart does now. And he was JUST as relaxed doing that as Stewart is now. What is totally amazing to me was the fact he was able to return to competition AND be competitive after being so completely broken up. Neither RC or JS has (thank god) had to rebound from such a crushing injury. Hope they never do.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The difference betwixt Hannah and Bubba is that Hannah did not dance. He was a racer, not an entertainer. RC is more like Hannah, and maybe Alessi is as well. I don't hear stories about him dancing after wins, but maybe that's because his dad won't let him off the leash long enough.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
SuperRat said of me: "Dude, you may know less about moto than anyone."

Dude listen and learn. I am not Mr motocross or anything but I have been around MX since 1971 and I have had my eyes blessed with the sight of the father of motocross, Roger DeCoster, smoothly racing a transam race near Dallas and of Hannah and the boys racing a national in Houston. As a kid every weekend just about I was at one of the two local tracks watching some damn good racing. And even though I'm 46 I still race and do very well at it.
When RC started he crashed a lot and bumped a lot of riders. DeCoster was smooth, not RC. But like everyone he's probably getting better wiith finesse and control as time rolls on. And being on a 4 stroke will change his style somewhat. But you have to admit that he doesn't have a reputation for smoothness, just everything else. But I think he's a damn good rider and am glad he's so fast now he doesn't have to ride dirty to get ahead. so there Hodaka-head, eat that! (ha! just kidding. really we are all entitled to our opinioins)

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Hey Jaguar....."Mr Motocross"...your showing your age!!!! Can you still get that book??? Hodaka head.....Super Rat.........it took me a while....but it clicked!!!! :laugh:

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I'm not sure why everyone thinks smoothness means you got natural talent. If smoothness is not winning and RC's so called lack of natural talent all heart style is winning, who is to say thats not natural talent? I would gladly throw out smoothness for a lil bit of RC flavor. Just cause you are more fluid than someone else doesn't mean your not as talented. Talent comes in many different shapes and sizes. Not everyone does things the same way, thank God!

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
"I have had my eyes blessed with the sight of the father of motocross, Roger DeCoster, smoothly racing a transam race near Dallas and of Hannah and the boys racing a national in Houston".

Jaguar,

I remember DeCoster coming off the track spittin mad bout that new kid showing him up -- Hannah! And then what about Pomeroy showing Lackey up! Those were the daze! but I digress

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
XR Pre I focus on the riding talent & inovation brought to the sport, I never really cared as much about the presentation off track as adding much to the actual riding and racing contributions over history. Joelk Robert was a bit of a jerk off the track but all will remember his many world championships...most will forget he was overweight, smoked like crazy and a bit aggressive off the track. Stewart is adding to the sport...as much in pushing the boundaries of what is possible as Hannah did before him. History will remember results and and will forget the dances. Much as we forget Hannah's hot air during his tim eof glory...they both are intense as hell competitors they just express a bit differently.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
XR Pre I focus on the riding talent & inovation brought to the sport, I never really cared as much about the presentation off track as adding much to the actual riding and racing contributions over history. Joel Robert was a bit of a jerk off the track but all will remember his many world championships...most will forget he was overweight, smoked like crazy and a bit aggressive off the track. Stewart is adding to the sport...as much in pushing the boundaries of what is possible as Hannah did before him. History will remember results and and will forget the dances. Much as we forget Hannah's hot air during his tim eof glory...they both are intense as hell competitors they just express a bit differently.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Back to Alessi they were at a gp last weekend -no one is totally sure why but we hear reports of them wanting to test a ktm 250 in secret, anyway as usual they were talkign the talk-reckon they could beat all the gp riders without too much trouble.

Top Bottom