AMA fights possible 100 percent tariffs on certain European motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally Posted by AMA website

Posted December 5, 2008

The AMA announced today that it has written to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative opposing a plan that could double the cost of some European motorcycles imported into the United States.

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

"There is no logical link between European motorcycles and the dispute over beef," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, in his comments submitted to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. "Imposing these stiff tariffs on motorcycles would do nothing to resolve the trade dispute, but would punish American buyers of European motorcycles."

The AMA's comments make a strong argument that motorcycles have no business being used as a lever in a dispute over beef.

"Trade disputes residing concretely within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be resolved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products," Moreland said. "A 100 percent ad valorem, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, citizens will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreation motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and well-being of millions of American families."

The United States wants to impose $116.8 million in import duties to equal the amount of money it claims the U.S. beef industry loses each year because of the ban. The WTO has agreed on that amount.

Interested parties have until Dec. 8 to comment on which European goods should be subject to the 100 percent tariff in the dispute. It is unknown when U.S. officials will make a final decision.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2008/amatarifffight.asp

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2008/AMACommentsForTheRecord.pdf

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pffffft, politics in the US is bad enough. Global politics, wow, that really sucks! Chili, are there tariffs on any cars from Euro? 27 members does not include Japan, seemingly? Now, about this growth hormone???????? What happened to Madkaw?

Mar 18, 2006
Almost all beef grown in feedlots are implanted with a slow release growth hormone (as well as given antibiotics). It should be illegal. Many ranchers implant on-farm before the animal ever gets to the feedlot. While in the feedlot, the animals are fed grain which has been sprayed with chemicals to control competitive plants (weeds) and sometimes pesticides to iradicate insects which eat the farmer's crop. You should have known. Most people have no idea how our food is actually raised and then processed. And then there's milk.......

regarding the tariff on bikes: that is ridiculous and obviously a threat. Can't see 100% happening. How can beef have anything to do with motorcycles? The Europeans have every right to avoid eating North American beef, and we should have a right to fair pricing on goods.

Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
longtime coming said:
Almost all beef grown in feedlots are implanted with a slow release growth hormone (as well as given antibiotics). It should be illegal. Many ranchers implant on-farm before the animal ever gets to the feedlot. While in the feedlot, the animals are fed grain which has been sprayed with chemicals to control competitive plants (weeds) and sometimes pesticides to iradicate insects which eat the farmer's crop. You should have known. Most people have no idea how our food is actually raised and then processed. And then there's milk.......

regarding the tariff on bikes: that is ridiculous and obviously a threat. Can't see 100% happening. How can beef have anything to do with motorcycles? The Europeans have every right to avoid eating North American beef, and we should have a right to fair pricing on goods.

Making growth hormone and pesticide immediately illegal is just as ignorant as placing tarriffs on motorcylces when having a trade dispute about beef.

In both cases the consumer and producers are the ones to pay the price.

(Organic beef and any agriculture based commodity's are available. I raise organic beef, grain and vegatables for my own consumption. It's you the consumer who chooses the cheaper feed lot beef. :coocoo: )

Indy.

Mar 18, 2006
I raise my own beef too Indy. On grass. Not sprayed with anything for almost 20yrs. I am surprised that you seemingly support the corporate food industry. I'm also hoping that you didn't call me ignorant about this subject. It's only common sense that modifying growth rates and immune system function of animals thru the use of chemicals (produced for profit) can't be good for consumers. Obviously there are residuals which people eat. It is also commonly known that the average European is more educated with respect to the food they eat.

In the past,very skilled men and women developed more productive animals through wise breeding practices . Recently, less skilled, informed, or wise people have found a cheap shortcut to simulate advancements with the use of chemicals, both natural and synthetic. It is the corporate mandate to eliminate all the good work of our ancestors and find shortcuts to sell cheap progress for huge profits. This obviously has not been good for producers, as profit margins have fallen in the toilet over the last 25yrs. Consumers have a right to safe food.

Since this is a dirt bike forum I'll leave it at that. :ride:

longtime

Indy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2002
longtime coming said:
I raise my own beef too Indy. On grass. Not sprayed with anything for almost 20yrs. I am surprised that you seemingly support the corporate food industry. I'm also hoping that you didn't call me ignorant about this subject. It's only common sense that modifying growth rates and immune system function of animals thru the use of chemicals (produced for profit) can't be good for consumers. Obviously there are residuals which people eat. It is also commonly known that the average European is more educated with respect to the food they eat.

Please provide me with some insight into your assertation that the average European knows more about the food they eat, seems to me that they are more retroactive then proactive in their food processing.

The corporate food industry provides jobs plain and simple and helps drive the economy. This in turn helps drive the Motorcycle industry.

longtime coming said:
In the past,very skilled men and women developed more productive animals through wise breeding practices . Recently, less skilled, informed, or wise people have found a cheap shortcut to simulate advancements with the use of chemicals, both natural and synthetic. It is the corporate mandate to eliminate all the good work of our ancestors and find shortcuts to sell cheap progress for huge profits. This obviously has not been good for producers, as profit margins have fallen in the toilet over the last 25yrs. Consumers have a right to safe food.

Since this is a dirt bike forum I'll leave it at that. :ride:

longtime

The profit fall of the producers for the short term was a result of disease found in Alberta (a few cases in the USA as well), this was not from a corporate mandate but from a Mom and Pop operation that had a problem, the same people you are saying are suffering from lower prices. Should have SSS. I agree that beef prices are inflated compared to the producers price but so was/is gas - beef is not the only place that this condition exists. HIJACK!

If you wish you could start another thread and we can resume our conversation there.

Back to the original point.

Would it be possible for a domestic dirt bike manufacturer to start to thrive if these tariffs are placed? Not sure if any are left? ATK? Anyone else?

Indy.

Mar 18, 2006
Ok you're right and I'm wrong.

And it would be nice to see some can-am bikes around again.
Indy, don't tell me they used Austrian motors, I already know that.

Mar 18, 2006
Well Chili, I guess Indy and I ruined that one. Since this is an important subject (the tariff) maybe you should re-start this without all of mine and Indy's BS?

regards

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A tariff on imported motorcycles was implemented in the early 80's that produced the current prices we pay for motorcycles. This tariff was put in place to save HD. Now the HD is doing well, the tariff could be dropped but instead, we have even higher prices because the market will bare them out.
Now I know that 30 year old prices are hard to put into todays money but a street legal 125 two stroke was $750 MSRP in 1978. A comparable 250 four stroke machine in 2008 is $5000+. R&D accounts for some of this increase, inflation a bit more, but the overwhelming increase is due to tariffs AND market conditions. Tariffs in my opinion solve nothing in the long run and are only feel good, knee jerk reactions at best in the short run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom