wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Do you have a specific question or are you wanting the whole spectrum. It does many things for many different people, just how that affects you is entirely what type of riding you do or racing you do.
go to www.ama-cycle.org  and it will give you all the information you need and should answer that question.

thanks

wardy

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
AMA is an organization. So what it does is organize large amounts of races and riders and gives them the oppurtunity to hold events with Uniform rules and guidelines have controlled and Organized events. For the rider this is important because when you travel a distance to an event you expect that they will provide certain things, AMA has a hand in that organization having a basic guideline to follow.
AMA also lobbys in washington for your rights as a rider and motorcyle enthusiast. The most talked about of course is the Helmet issue but that is only the tip of the iceberg.......mostly at this time ama is working with many other groups to keep public land usable to ride. THis in my mine will be one of the biggest and hardest fought debates. Lets face it with the lack of land, our sport dies.
These are just some of the things AMA has done, and that I have time to type out here. Like I said in a previous post, you are really concerned on how they will help you, go to the web site, ask people you know personally what they feel, this will give you the most concise information on how AMA will help you.
Think about this a minute, AMA is on the Amatuer side of things a huge club, that many of us belong to. I have taken the time to work in my district to try to make a difference. So for my view I am part of the solution. some might think it might be that its part of the problem? LOL
i hope you see what i am stating here.

thanks

wardy

------------------
"don't wake me.......I am working."

James980

Dec 29, 1999
You can go on forever about the legislative, organizational, etc., benefits of belonging to the AMA and whether they are real, imagined or intended.

But, frankly, there's only one reason 90% of dirt bikers join: It's so we can race, man! For amateur racing, the AMA is, effectively, the only game in town.

The race is the thing!

James
00CR250

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Exactly what i meant, the organizational stuff includes the racing, in fact its what makes the racing happen. I have gotten these questions in the past and some are loaded for bear so i was generalizing the answer to cover as much ground as possible.

wardy

------------------
"don't wake me.......I am working."

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
The assumption is made you do not race or not in an area that is AMA Willie,otherwise you would have to already be an AMA member to comptete.
That is a good deal, for all the reasons posted above.
But since this doesnt seem to apply in your situation:

The AMA is a national organization that DOES indeed have lobbyist
in washington fighting for your motorcycling rights and legistlation every day.Everything from helmet laws to workers insurance coverages or work place discriminations to land closer issues.
A good example of such a thing is one large company refused to provide health insurance to its employees that rode motorcycles.The AMA fought a 2 year campaign in the courts to prove this was wrong.
The scope of this type of situation is LARGE and affects every dicipline of motorcycling.

AND
They do this wether you join or not.

So what is your real benefit for joining?

For $29 ( much less than you pay per year for you internet provider)

You can hopefully sleep better at night knowing you contributed to the cause,instead of watching your right to ride disaapear.

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
   NATIONAL RECOGNITION!!
   You race your butt off--drive thousands of miles to and from events and spend what it takes to make it happen, with the AMA you can compete on a National level with a "Uniform set of Rules".
   To me, that is a wise investment. There are other sanctioning bodies out there but they do not have the clout within the Industry like the AMA does.
   The AMA has problems as any organization would have that is primarily staffed by "Volunteers" who for the love of the sport work their butts off to make things happen on a local level.
   Folks have this misunderstanding that the AMA is this huge multi-national organization that will at the drop of the hat fly in teams of AMA staffers to magically put on events. Sorry to say but it does not work that way, it is usually clubs and promoters that do it --but it is the AMA that sets the standards that ensures that your money and effort is well rewarded.
    Join up, and join or start a club in your area--make things happen !
smile.gif

------------------
Ken James
AMA Dist.25 Field Rep.
98 XR400 Honda
70 Triumph T100c Desert sled
98 Harley FXDWG
If you Don't --Who will ?

Top Bottom