jarcher

Dec 27, 2004
Do any of you guys have any experience with amsoil premix oil for 2 stroke engines? I was at the dealer the other day and noticed that they are peddling amsoil premix that is suppose to be mixed at 50:1 on up to 100:1 depending on the type of amsoil that you purchase. So the questions are: is it really possible to achieve peak horsepower and optimal engine protection using these types of synthetics? Are these oils gonna foul plugs, seize engines, or collect on exhaust valves more so than say a Honda HP2 at 40:1? I would like to run higher ratios for a lot of reasons, but who wants to sacrifice protection or performance? Any input, experience, or technical info outlining the pros and cons would be appreciated.

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
That link goes to a very interesting thread. Cool. I have been using Amsoil at 32 and 40:1 and it does well. Like the other thread mentioned, I don't think 50:1 is a good idea. I recently read on here somewhere of a study done that said bikes make more power as the percentage of oil increased. You would think it would be the other way around (less oil - more gas) but that is apparently not the case. They got even more power at 16:1 but that would probably be a slobbering mess. I run 40:1 in a 125. It is new so I have not input on long term wear yet. I do know that at 32:1 it was a lot smokier. But it was also way to fat on the main and pilot. I leaned those out and went to 40:1 and it runs great.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I have to admit, I absolutly love amsoil. I have been using it for about a 2 years and every time I take apart my top end it looks great. I run it at 40:1. The only drawback is I notice it will gum up the carb a bit. I highly recommend it.

Erik

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have recently switched to Amsoil Dominator (Mobil 2T has been too hard to get as of late). So far I am very happy with the way it performs. I run it at 40:1- I inspected the top end last week, things look great so far (only about 10 hours since I've been using Amsoil).

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
I would think that the increase in power as of a reult of lower ratios would be attributed to more lubrication.A well lubed engine will certainly run easier and cooler :cool:

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
I've use AMSOIL for 18 years now without any problems.

AMSOIL is the inventor of synthetic oils and will always be a step ahead of the rest.

My engines, transmissions, differentials, suspensions,etc. last a lot longer. Engines burn cleaner; 2 stroke, diesel, and 4 stroke with their additives.

Before they introduced their 50:1 ratio oil, they only had a 100:1 premix which I've used without any problems. My intervals between teardowns was longer than petroleum based oils

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
soulmate.. please do not bold entire posts.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
soulmate33 said:
AMSOIL is the inventor of synthetic oils and will always be a step ahead of the rest.
Did anyone inform Mobil Oil of this claim?
Did you attend an Amzoil seminar? LOL......

:rotfl:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
LOL !!!
I'm glad that you read all of that from the AMSOIL website.
I can't think of a less biased source. :)

Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
Quotes for their respective web sites

Mobil

"Since it’s introduction in 1974, Mobil 1 has outperformed conventional oils and has become the world’s number one-selling synthetic motor oil"

Amsoil

"Though AMSOIL Inc. was founded in 1972, its story begins in the mid 1960s, when Lt. Col. A.J. "Al" Amatuzio, a jet fighter squadron commander, was impressed by the superb performance of synthetic lubricants in jet engines (in fact, only synthetics stand up to the performance demands of jet engines) and began studying their possible automotive applications. In 1972, after an intense period of research and development, Al Amatuzio introduced the first synthetic motor oil in the world to exceed API automobile service requirements"

Looks like Amsoil wins by 2 years.

Another note from the ExxonMobil web site

"ExxonMobil announces that it is the first major oil company to introduce a line of high-endurance motor oils designed for longer oil change intervals"

I guess ExxonMobil doesn’t consider Amsoil a "major" oil company because Amsoil has had a 25,000mile (10,000 mi more than Mobil’s best) oil for 33 years now.

So who is following and who is leading.

Food for thought.

Scott

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
In a marketing war, Amsoil is hard to beat. They are the kings of sell.

The above information means what? It certainly doesn't mean that Amsoil invented synthetic lubricants. And they can claim "leader" all they want...look at the respective companies bottom line and see who leads whom.

Hmmm...wonder what company developed the synthetics used in jets? :think:

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
I always thought it was funny how companies like to claim their "first in ...", "leader in..." or, "world's best ..."

It reminds me when I go to some restraunt and eat their "world's best" burger, only to find out it's no better than the "world's best" burger from another restraunt.

LOL!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ah, the eternal oil debate.... Me I've tried several different synthetics in various vehicles for various lubricating needs. Everything from popular to virtually unknown brands (ever hear of SWEPCO?). They all have worked well, some better than others but when it comes to the best compromise based on performance, availability of a range of products and availability I've decided Amsoil is my choice. Lots of folks have OPINIONS on Amsoil but keeping in mind that's all they are until some actual proof is available I'm sticking with it.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I'm been using Amsoil at 40:1 in my CR250. The bike now has 7 sesons on it of hard riding and the top end is perfecto! Never fouls, never gums power valves. No complaints at all.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
Peer Lovell said:
I'm been using Amsoil at 40:1 in my CR250. The bike now has 7 sesons on it of hard riding and the top end is perfecto! Never fouls, never gums power valves. No complaints at all.
You got 7 seasons on the same top end?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
BTW I do use amsoil HP injector in my sleds and watercraft. I do think that it is a quality product for the price (the HP injector), it keeps the P/V's and exhausts almost spotlessly clean when jetted correctly. I usually run through about 4-6 gallons a year so at $18 a gallon it's not so bad.

I don't think that it's magic though. :)

ragingbull

Nov 23, 2004
I personally don't think Amsoil can hold a candle to Klotz products. From my experiences the Klotz not only protects better but also burns much cleaner at the same ratios. Plus I have had much better luck (more helpful and more knowledgable) when talking with the Klotz tech people (versus Amsoil tech) which sure means alot to me. I also think Amsoil is more propaganda then it is a good product. Give the Klotz products a try and I don't think one of you will go back to Amsoil unless they give it to you for free...

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Keep in mind that the Amsoil company is one of the largest purchasers of Exxon-Mobil oil products. This is mostly in the form of synthetic base stock oils. More than a million gallons each year. I wonder who is actually making the base oil for Amsoil? Yes, I believe it is Exxon-Mobil. HMMMMM.

On another note, Mobil 1 Racing 2t is the new name for MX2t. It is among the best all around 2 stroke oil commonly available. The formulation is from the 2 stroke GP bikes. It was designed to increase engine life when the switch to unleaded fuels was required. BTW, the switch to unleaded fuels seems to have been a problem for those high output engines, as the lead prevented some problems. MX2t is likely to be the most highly developed 2 stroke oil ever produced.

While I no longer work in the R+D or testing field, and it has been 15+ years since I worked for Mobil oil, I still trust my results. And my results have been very, very positive with MX2t.

Chris

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom