fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Mike,

Yes, the convention is to count clip position from the top of the needle. I gather from your previous post that you are running a cej-2. That needle will be significantly leaner in the mid section than the great majority of users and the large main is helping to compensate. I would suggest a 7 slide with the cej 4 or 3 and 178 main to start or a ddj-2-3 with a 175. Needle combos rich to lean are dcj-3,ddj-3,dcj-2,ddj-2. since you have a 6 slide dck and ddk needles would be good to have also.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
I've been doing this stuff a long time but I immediately felt it was well worth the money.
Cheapest performance mod you'll probably ever buy. Everyone should have it .

i think this says it all, it gets very confusing when people talk about leaner/richer needles and slides and they all cross over to some extent so that adds yet more confusion. I think if you are having problems and want to get that bike dialled, you have to JD guide, period. It takes about 30 mins to figure out and there is no looking back. There are some really helpful people here, but we could go back and forth loads and still get nowhere. the guide has also got the plots for those Nxxx type OEM needles so you can rapidly figure out what and why people are running certain setups.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I did a search on JD; JD's jetting guide; jetting guide; and JD's. I came up empty, where can you find JD's jetting guide?

Thanks,
RJ-KDX

Vitaliy

Jan 14, 2010
Patman said:
BTW which Amsoil premix oil are you using? The 100:1 stuff or the Series 2000 Premix? My pumpkin spooged with any premix until I fixed the exhaust issue that all 360's had and got the jetting cleaned up. Then pretty much any good synthetic gave me the same results. I ran Series 2000 in pump premium at 50:1 with no issues at all and still use the Series 2000 at 80:1 in VP MR2 in my Montesa. Lots of folks do try to use the 100:1 oil because it's less expensive but if you read their product info it's pretty specific that it's for lawn equipment etc...

Hey Pat, what exactly did you do to the exhaust that you fixed. I have same bike, and have spooge between the cylinder and expansion chamber

barry425

Nov 29, 2005
AmsOil

I have a 1983 CR480 that I run wide open for as much as 3 minutes on steep sand hills. I've been running AmsOil at the recommended 100:1 ratio for over 20 years with no problems. There is less oil going through the jet, so that means that MORE gas is going through the jet. At this ratio, I had to lean the jetting slightly.
I also have a 1986 CR500 that has been running the same mix for 15 years, a 1986 Suzuki 250 Quadracer that I bought new and has been using the same mix, a 1993 Banshee running the same mix since I got it in 2001, a 1987 CR250 running the same mix since 2007, and a 2000 CR500 that I just got and it runs fine one the same mix.
The CR480 was the only one I had to change the jetting on... and I think it was only the pilot jet.
The guy that had the CR250 before me was running Golden Spectro and the AmsOil is actually cleaning up the mess that the Spectro left.
I did a test with 2 identical CR480's in 1984 when I first bought the bike. My neighbor and I raced Fish Canyon at Ocotillo Wells and then we gave the engines the highly technical "spit test" (spitting on the engine fins). Both bikes were so hot that the spit immediately flashed into vapor.
We went back to camp and emptied the Spectro out of my bike and put in the AmsOil at 100:1. We than went and raced Fish Canyon again. Another spit test and his bike (running Spectro) flashed into vapor again. When we spit on the fins of my engine, however, it just sat on the fins. We couldn't believe it and started spitting on my engine. It was dripping with spit and never vaporized any of it. It must have been 40 degrees cooler. You couldn't even stand next to the other guy's bike it was so hot. I'm sold on AmsOil.

barry425

Nov 29, 2005
AmsOil #2

One more thing I should mention: I finally opened up the CR480 after running the same piston for 20 years. The bore was so good that I just put another same size piston in it with new rings, wristpin, and bearing. That was in 2004 and it is still running great today.
One thing that should be noted is that AmsOil changed their formula, and I'm still running the old stuff. I haven't tried the new formula yet.

Top Bottom