Amsoil = Spooge?

Discussion in 'Moto Related Product Questions' started by KTM Mike, Aug 5, 2003.

1. RJ-KDX

RJ-KDX Subscriber

Jetting would be the issue not the oil. Most of the 2 stroke pumpkins that I see in my area when riding are very spoogy. (Let me clarify here, this is a generalization(sp) not meant to slam on anyone or a certain bike.)

It could be these(riders in my area) have not jetted their bikes.

I made the switch to Amsoil S2000 about 1-1/2 years ago, re-jetted, and got rid of the spooge. IMO I believe it's a good synthetic oil. You should give it another try.

Good luck :thumb:
  2. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Subscriber Mi. Trail Riders

Mark - I think stock was NOZH - but i bought my bike used - it came with that R1466N in it.  Hey are you going to be at the Jackpine this weekend?  Assuming I get my bike together I will be.

Fishhead - time allowing I will try the DDJ (I have one - no DDK though).  Just to make sure I am following you - when you say DDJ-2, you are refering to the clip being in the second groove down from the top - right? 

Now...i gotta go straighten out my mess in the garage... so I can mess it up again tomorrow night!

3. MWEISSEN

MWEISSEN Whaasssup? Mi. Trail Riders

Mike, I'm seriously considering it. Are you riding Sunday, or Saturday? If I go, I'm riding on Saturday. Let me know, I'm riding solo and wouldn't mind hooking up with someone.

I'll look at some jetting with the James Dean jetting guide and PM you some stuff.
  4. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    I'll add another thumbs up for the JD jetting guide. I've been doing this stuff a long time but I immediately felt it was well worth the money. JD put an enormous amount of time and effort into the guide, and it shows.

Cheapest performance mod you'll probably ever buy. Everyone should have it .
  5. bclapham

bclapham Lifetime Sponsor

that needle is very narrow, i will be that might be where the problem making the bike rich between 1/8-1/4 throttle??????
  6. fishhead

fishhead die you sycophant !

Mike,

Yes, the convention is to count clip position from the top of the needle. I gather from your previous post that you are running a cej-2. That needle will be significantly leaner in the mid section than the great majority of users and the large main is helping to compensate. I would suggest a 7 slide with the cej 4 or 3 and 178 main to start or a ddj-2-3 with a 175. Needle combos rich to lean are dcj-3,ddj-3,dcj-2,ddj-2. since you have a 6 slide dck and ddk needles would be good to have also.
  7. bclapham

i think this says it all, it gets very confusing when people talk about leaner/richer needles and slides and they all cross over to some extent so that adds yet more confusion. I think if you are having problems and want to get that bike dialled, you have to JD guide, period. It takes about 30 mins to figure out and there is no looking back. There are some really helpful people here, but we could go back and forth loads and still get nowhere. the guide has also got the plots for those Nxxx type OEM needles so you can rapidly figure out what and why people are running certain setups.
  8. RJ-KDX

RJ-KDX Subscriber

I did a search on JD; JD's jetting guide; jetting guide; and JD's. I came up empty, where can you find JD's jetting guide?

Thanks,
    RJ-KDX
  9. bclapham

10. MWEISSEN

MWEISSEN Whaasssup? Mi. Trail Riders

Or go to Thumpertalk.
  11. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Rookie DRN Member

Hey Pat, what exactly did you do to the exhaust that you fixed. I have same bike, and have spooge between the cylinder and expansion chamber
  12. barry425

barry425 Rookie DRN Member

AmsOil

I have a 1983 CR480 that I run wide open for as much as 3 minutes on steep sand hills. I've been running AmsOil at the recommended 100:1 ratio for over 20 years with no problems. There is less oil going through the jet, so that means that MORE gas is going through the jet. At this ratio, I had to lean the jetting slightly.
    I also have a 1986 CR500 that has been running the same mix for 15 years, a 1986 Suzuki 250 Quadracer that I bought new and has been using the same mix, a 1993 Banshee running the same mix since I got it in 2001, a 1987 CR250 running the same mix since 2007, and a 2000 CR500 that I just got and it runs fine one the same mix.
    The CR480 was the only one I had to change the jetting on... and I think it was only the pilot jet.
    The guy that had the CR250 before me was running Golden Spectro and the AmsOil is actually cleaning up the mess that the Spectro left.
    I did a test with 2 identical CR480's in 1984 when I first bought the bike. My neighbor and I raced Fish Canyon at Ocotillo Wells and then we gave the engines the highly technical "spit test" (spitting on the engine fins). Both bikes were so hot that the spit immediately flashed into vapor.
    We went back to camp and emptied the Spectro out of my bike and put in the AmsOil at 100:1. We than went and raced Fish Canyon again. Another spit test and his bike (running Spectro) flashed into vapor again. When we spit on the fins of my engine, however, it just sat on the fins. We couldn't believe it and started spitting on my engine. It was dripping with spit and never vaporized any of it. It must have been 40 degrees cooler. You couldn't even stand next to the other guy's bike it was so hot. I'm sold on AmsOil.
  13. barry425

barry425 Rookie DRN Member

AmsOil #2

One more thing I should mention: I finally opened up the CR480 after running the same piston for 20 years. The bore was so good that I just put another same size piston in it with new rings, wristpin, and bearing. That was in 2004 and it is still running great today.
    One thing that should be noted is that AmsOil changed their formula, and I'm still running the old stuff. I haven't tried the new formula yet.