Another one's gonna bite the dust......

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Well, the commandments have come down from on high and it looks like out of 60 people in my department we are going to get wacked for 14-18 heads. My guess is I'm going to be one of them - I'll find out on Oct 23/24 with a last date of employement of Oct 31. If I don't get laid off I'll be suprised. Only good thing is I should walk out the door with 6 months salary. Even if I don't get laid off it looks like the writting is on the wall and I need to find a new job in the near future as most of the type of work I do currently is being moved to Malaysia as quickly as possible.

So I'm throwing my name out as a pre-emptive strike if anybody is aware of any positions for a mechanical engineer with experience in aerospace environmental control systems, turbochargers, microturbine generators, offroad race car design, test & measurement equipment mechanical components - sheetmetal/die cast/injection mold, or some other area where I can put my education/training/experience to use. I'd like something with some field work that gets me out of the office - oil/gas, construction, mining or ? We, the wife & I, are open to any & all leads including contract/shift work. I can drag my trailer anywhere in the country and live out of it if necessary.

I graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in 1995 for anyone that cares. Send me a PM or e-mail if you'd like a copy of my resume.

Thanks,
Brian

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
man that sucks, hope you can sort yourself out quickly.

Alan :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Terex, Tulsa OK. They build the monster dump trucks. If your interested I'll get you some info.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Now that's bad news. Be prepared for some difficult dealings with the HR folks at prospective employers; they're looking for perfection: youth + many years of experience (?!), fully trained, well educated, etc. It's a buyer's market out there - has been for 1-1/2 years. At least you have a good solid degree and exended salary coming. Are you willing to relocate?

Try this: https://asires.sd.gat.com/index.asp?page=OpenPositions

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Getting laid-off always sucks just because of the uncertainty of when you'll get the next job. I was recently laid-off for 3 1/2 months and ended up getting called back to my previous employer. But, now I am hearing that next years sales forcast is about $10,000,000 below this years so I foresee more cuts coming again in January. The best thing I did was to take a vacation with the family right after getting laid-off. It's great to spend some bonding time with the family. It puts everything back into the right perspective. Not only that but looking for work can be very time consuming. I spent at least 5 hours a day on the job boards. Then add in the time tweeking my resumes, cover letters, and doing interviews. From my experiences, I really didn't see my efforts paying off for the first couple of months then I started receiving interviews. I am searching for something in Manufacturing management so, If I run into something in your field during my searches I'll drop you an e-mail. Good luck in your search and let us know when you find your new job.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Terex, Tulsa OK.

close to cooperland, the 500, lots of other good riding. you better get your dirt bike resume ready for the heartland spodes too. i have to warn you, it's probably easier to get on at terex than to become a heartland spode. we are quite an exclusive group. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Sorry to hear that Brian, I went through the same thing 15 months ago with 3Com and it wasn't fun but who knows what opportunities it might bring.
Keep your chin up.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Actually the best part of getting laid off would be that I could attend Thank & Spank '02 for the entire week:)

BSWIFT - I'd really appreciate any info you can provide on Terex. I was looking at the website yesterday at work and didn't see much in the way of job openings.

I'm not too worried about the future as we have cash reserves and could sell the house and either live out of our 5th wheel or move in with my parents in Vancouver, WA. My sister, BIL & 3 nieces just moved out of the parents place...... I'm sure my parents are just loving me when I call them with news like this.

Thanks for the support,
Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
placelast,
Yes we are willing to relocate - in fact my wife wants to move to San Diego. We'd like to stay in Santa Rosa a few more years but if it's not in the cards what are you going to do? We have friends that work at COI and my wife has actually sent my resume without telling me until after she did it:)

Brian

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Brian - I might have some info on good ME positions and as soon as I get back from Dirtweek I will email you the specifics. You might not even have to relocate.

Nat

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Good luck Brian, and i am sorry to hear this bad news. If i can help with San Diego please let me know. But be warned, the real estate situation in SD is very depressing......we were looking to buy a house in about 18 months but at this rate a regular house that costs about $400K right now (thats cheap to average) is gonna be about $600K by then! its no joke:(

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
a regular house that costs about $400K right now (thats cheap to average)

brian, if you happen to get on at terex, you can buy a mansion here for half that. the cost of living here is relatively low. if you are offered less money than you are making now, it's not necessarily a cut.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Brian,

Good luck facing this difficult situation. I wish I could do more to help but I may not be far from your situation. Most of our ME's have been laid off over the last six months and our engineering department is going forward at about 20% of its recent staffing levels. There are probably more of us facing this situation than we'd care to think.

Having experienced a force reduction in '92, I understand your situation, facing the uncertainty. There are opportunities out there and change for the better is possible. As a humble peddler, I occasionally have visibility of engineering opportunities, if I run across any, I'll let you know. There are some aerospace companies in southern CA that are hiring, TRW for example.

From my experience, I'd only suggest that you keep busy and optimistic while looking for employment. Good luck

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry to hear that. Try this link:

http://www.jobpositive.com/smiths-aerospace/

Smiths is hiring bunches of engineers here in Grand Rapids. They will be supplying several products to Lockheed for the JSF.

Lots of riding opportunities here in Michigan too!

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
NVR FNSH - So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I know how it feels. I've made a career out of getting laid off (I work in construction). Have faith bro', it always works out. I can't get you a job, but if you need any help let me know - I live right down the road from 'ya in Forestville. ;)

Top Bottom