Another what to get after a PW50?

GSSign

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry for another beat to death question but here it is.

Son is tall for a 6 almost 7 year old. We have a good size flat round track with a couple of small dips/humps (gets airborn due to the lack of suspension). Inside the round track we have a small mx track that I built for him. It has a small 6' long table type jump 3' or so tall, 4 small 2-3' tall jumps, bermed turns and a small 8-10" woop section about 12' long. He rides over the mx section sometimes but mostly rides the flat track. He rings the pw out, sliding in the turns. Almost bucks him off at speed when he hits a bump due to the poor PW suspension.

The kicker is that we also like to trail ride, maybe even more if he had a bike with bigger tires, suspension, and clearance. A lot of good rideing areas within a couple minutes to a couple of hours from our house.

If we were not wanting to do any trail riding I would get a KTM senior or the like. There is a Polini and a few KTM's locally for 800 or so.

A lot recomend the crf 50. Is this the best option. I don't see how a 100lb 50 can be our best choice for a combo trail/mx 50. I don't think we are going to get into raceing but he is quite agressive when he is confident.

Can a tall 7 year old touch the ground on a ktm 65?

I need to take him to a local shop and size him up to a few models to see what fits.

Tell me something good, running out of time for xmas.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do size him up. If the 65 is too tall, consider the TTR90 or KLX110 (there is a better aftermarket for upgrading the KLX when he finishes with it).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have a CRF50 and a PW50 for mine. They're twins and 6 years old, average height light weights. The CRF is just a tad taller but much heavier. I wouldn't, by any means, recommend a CRF as step up from the PW. The suspension is still garbage and it might even be a bit slower. Have you seen any of the adventure series KTMs? They have a bit lower seat height and less snappy power. I think I'm gonna watch for one (or two) next season, they go for around 800-1200 around here depending on age and condition.

GSSign

Feb 8, 2008
Joe, thanks for the crf / PW comparison. I thought the CRF was taller, I know it is heavy.

The adventures are far and few between around here.

I think that I have read that the SX's clutch can be adjusted to decrease the hit but I think the power output of the KTM 50cc is to high for woods riding.

Do I understand correctly, the KTM or all SX50's do not pull untill a high rpm is reached? The bike has to be kept tacked out or it does not pull.

Why can't we have a tall sprung 50 cc bike that can do both.

Maybe I will have to get the SX for now and pickup a cheap 4 stroke for the putting around.

Any other ideas?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you wanted a 4 stroke for putting around in the trails I'd have him sit on a 70. They're really not that much bigger than a 50. If he's getting too big for the PW he's probably big enough. The suspension is still quite a bit shy of a KTM SX.

GSSign

Feb 8, 2008
Going to look at a 50 sx tomorrow, guy is willing to take my sons PW and $350.00 for his 2007 KTM Pro SR. Wish us luck.

Anything specific I need to look at to make sure I don't make a bad buy?

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
KTM 50 SX or Pro Sr is very different from a KTM 50 mini Adventure. SX/Pro has a liquid-cooled hard hitting motor. Mini Adventure has an air-cooled motor with decent pep but not scary-hitting power. It weighs much less than a CRF, and has much better suspension. You can find them for as little as $700 if you get lucky. My son absolutely loves his mini-Adventure, and had a great time racing the peewee hare scrambles series on it this year. But he is too tall for it now, so I'm going to put it up for sale since he will be stepping up to a bigger bike next year. If you are in my area (New England) send me an email if interested. blackduc98@yahoo.com

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Hey blackduc, post it up here. I might be interested next spring.....I'm in NW PA, where are you?

Top Bottom