mcraig79

Jul 26, 2009
Another YZ 250 Jetting question now

I ran acroos another YZ 250 for a steal of a price..for either a parts bike or a fix up project...i am guessing the bike is between 94-96..were can i find the yr on the VIN?
also noticed the problem with this bike is bottom end is good..but the cylinder is damaged..what i am wondering is can the cylinder be bored or is it like a KX and plated? Or do you have to install a new sleeve

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Cylinder is plated. You have the option of sleeving, replating, or boring and replating.
Vin number is stamped into the steering stem.

mcraig79

Jul 26, 2009
what would be option be considering there is a considerable sized groove in the cylinder now...and i was wondering what part of the VIN tells the yr

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
ah, sorry. Not sure which part of the vin indicates year. There are however vin decoders online that will probably sort it out for you. Perhaps someone here knows.

The groove in the cylinder would probably need to be welded before replating can occur. So your options are down to sleeving, or welding and replating. The weld and replate will likely cost a bit more, but it will be superior to the sleeve. In that situation it'd be a toss up for me, depending on what I'm willing to spend on the bike at the time.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Depending on how deep it is you can bore it out a couple millimeters and replate. Just be sure to have someone who knows how to set up the porting correctly do the work.

Or watch for a useable cylinder to pop up on the sale sites.

mcraig79

Jul 26, 2009
Ok thanks guys...got another question for yall...the One YZ i got which set for bout 3 yrs has major carb problems that cant be fixed without another carb.
The yz i got the other day for parts is between 94-96 same carb but jets are different. The carb i had i belive has a 175 and a 45 with a procircuit works pipe.
this bike i got for parts has a procircut platnium pipe and the jets are 170 and 48....which setup would i be better off with? I will be putting the other pro circuit pipe on my bike.

Top Bottom