duke

Oct 9, 1999
Have there been any in depth performance articles, be it on the internet or the monthly periodicals, about the 05 CR 250 and 125?

pace

Nov 21, 2003
transworldmotocross said:
Although the bottom-end leaves you wanting more, the mid-range hit is quite possibly the strongest we’ve ever encountered in a stock bike.

Sounds as though Honda may have addressed the complaints regarding the 'too linear power delivery' that we've heard since they went to the crankcase reed induction, but clearly the 'problem' with bottom end power (if you perceive it as such) is not so easily addressed. Still, it looks like a very good bike IMHO. Not a big enough improvement for me to ditch my '03, though.

-pace

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I was just made aware that the Feb issue of Dirt Rider is to have a test. It will be interesting to see what they make of it. Like anything else, you sort of have to read between the lines, and combine that with the comments offered on the internet to get an honest assesment of the bikes capabilities.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
gonzo843 said:
They should have changed the frame. That would have helped the bike a little but I dont think they care about those bikes anymore.

I disagree. The tests we've seen so far, albeit limited in scope, state that the CR is still the best handling/suspended 250 of 2005. So what would the 4th gen frame gain us? Honda's attention would have been better focused on the motor IMHO.

I do agree that it seems Honda has all but abandoned its two-stroke programme. Although the quantity of changes to these bikes were not insignificant, they did not adequately address the most common complaints.

-pace

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Yeah stick with the 03'....It's the same bike as the 04' and 05' model really...Actually the 04' lost 1 horsepower on top and who know's what the 05' is putting out.....Still with an 03' you're making more horsepower than an 05' YZ250 which has the same motor as an 03' model which was beaten by the 03' CR250 in outright horsepower.

I mean, with an 02' or 03' you still have a bike that's better handling than any 05' model other than another CR250...

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
john3_16 said:
Yeah stick with the 03'....It's the same bike as the 04' and 05' model really...Actually the 04' lost 1 horsepower on top and who know's what the 05' is putting out.....Still with an 03' you're making more horsepower than an 05' YZ250 which has the same motor as an 03' model which was beaten by the 03' CR250 in outright horsepower.

I mean, with an 02' or 03' you still have a bike that's better handling than any 05' model other than another CR250...

Yeah, What he said................

vetcr47

Oct 20, 2004
the cr tranny is a little notchy........but you can port thr cylinder to your type of power......and a v-force will also help.......just lube-up your clutch cable and get to the gym to hang on to that sucker.....top-end is really unbelievable on a hot-rodded cr....................dragster fast for the dirt....54hp with c-12, i-cat and motor work.............peace

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would love to see a dyno that shows a non works CR250 producing 54 RWHP.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would love to see any dyno of any 250 producing 54hp.

heres a actual works rc250 from fred bollys 2002 bike its actually one of the worst engines ive seen on a dyno :coocoo:

Attachments

• bolleys (Small).JPG
    bolleys (Small).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Marcus, I know you're messing with us with that dyno man...I can see the smirk through the screen... :joke:

Listen up guys...

I guarantee that if you put a stock CR250 on the same dyno same day it would read alot lower as would a stock 02' RM250, YZ250, and KX250...

It's good to have a dyno chart but it's a useless comparison unless you use the same dyno, same day, same location, and same conversion factor..

Also tire type and pressure can have a huge effect on the number...

I noticed also that that particular dyno reads in SAE values which happens to be amoung one of the lowest reading...

Every dyno chart I've seen of the 02' CR250 has it putting out more HP than every stock Japanese 250 when put on the same dyno, same day, and same conversion factor.

So until you can go back in time or somehow get that same bike and RE dyno that same bike on that very same day with a pre modded baseline that dyno is totally useless except to observe the HP and torque curve...

Even 2 different dynos of the same make and same conversion factor with readings on the same day can have a quite large variation in readings...

I know you know all this Marcus...You might as well rename your alias dynomite since you've got so many charts...Nice try :)

Last edited:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
John, where is the truth behind all this?

I rode the 2002 and 2004 CR 250. No matter what the charts say, the CR was not anywhere as quick or fast as Studboys YZ 250. I now it makes big numbers, but do the numbers really matter when the bike feels slow?

vetcr47

Oct 20, 2004
pro circuit just put a v-force, port job and a pipe and got 52.5 on a std. cr 250.....no mrx01 or mr2 c12, just 94 with 927 40:1......they wrote an article about it for mxa......throw in carb work, bottom-end, ign./i-cat and fuel...there is more than 1.5 hp in just the fuel.....as vp will tell you....it is difficult to hold on to...in addition......for guys that run superkart.....they are getting 60-62 hp out of 2001 cr 250's with major mod's......talk to eddie lawson...they call it ICE.....the aprila gp motors are maxing at 110hp...the 250 twins.....so the potential is there.....

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
SAE can read low HP because it means the run has been corrected. But only if the comparing run was on a colder day, a hot day the reverse is true. SAE is the only fair way to compare this run with other runs from different days due to its correction factor.

So IMO this run is no trick, if the run was on actual HP, then it would largely be dependent on that days air temp and humidity. One could easily be misled with a chart like that.

So when comparing runs from different days and temps, the SAE correction factor is the proper way to compare. It sets the standard for temp/humidity, and all runs are "corrected" from that standard.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
vetcr47 said:
....they wrote an article about it for mxa......throw in carb work, bottom-end, ign./i-cat and fuel...there is more than 1.5 hp in just the fuel.....as vp will tell you....it is difficult to hold on to...in addition......for guys that run superkart.....they are getting 60-62 hp out of 2001 cr 250's with major mod's......talk to eddie lawson...they call it ICE.....the aprila gp motors are maxing at 110hp...the 250 twins.....so the potential is there.....

The reason they wrote it in MXA is because those are the only crowd that would believe it. 52.5 crank horsepower maybe. Actually, I do believe that you could maybe make a CR250 have that much horsepower, but then the lowend power would be worse than a 125. It is impossible to just madd 8-10 horsepower on that bike with out sacrificing somewhere. And you guys believe that the I-cat actually adds HP?!?!?!? :rotfl:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I heard he rode Mike Browns stock YZ 250 with just a pipe and was like, we (Honda) have some work to do on our motor. And thats on a factory level. ;)

john3_16

May 17, 2004
steve125 said:
SAE can read low HP because it means the run has been corrected. But only if the comparing run was on a colder day, a hot day the reverse is true. SAE is the only fair way to compare this run with other runs from different days due to its correction factor.

So IMO this run is no trick, if the run was on actual HP, then it would largely be dependent on that days air temp and humidity. One could easily be misled with a chart like that.

So when comparing runs from different days and temps, the SAE correction factor is the proper way to compare. It sets the standard for temp/humidity, and all runs are "corrected" from that standard.

It still is not an accurate comparison unless you do a pre modified baseline....

You just can't pull a dyno chart out of a hat to prove that another bike is "more powerful" unless you do them all on the same day and same dyno...

And still, different dyno's read differently so this is why it is important to do them all on the same dyno...

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Someone said:
Why did RC leave Honda again? :) Good read in dirtrider.

Yeah it was a good read....He left Honda because they wouldn't sign him to the deal he wanted..

And, he sure didn't have any problem with his starts in 02' when he had the perfect season...Even against a whole laod of 4 strokes in 03' he got good starts.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Rcannon said:
John, where is the truth behind all this?

I rode the 2002 and 2004 CR 250. No matter what the charts say, the CR was not anywhere as quick or fast as Studboys YZ 250. I now it makes big numbers, but do the numbers really matter when the bike feels slow?

The truth is in my post in that you can't pull up a chart and point out hp figures and one being more powerful than another...Every engine tuner will tell you that.

The YZ 250 probably did feel faster to you because it has more low end power and is easier to ride...If you're used to lots of low end and jump on a Honda and twist the throttle below 4,000 rpm you will not have the same response...A CR responds at a higher rpm...Actually, all things being equal a bike with more HP will be a bit faster in outright speed..

However, the truth is that the 02' and 03' CR250 make more peak hp than all the Japanese bikes for those model years and more than the 05 YZ250 because it is the same motor as the 03' which was dynoed on the same day same dyno with the CR250 and every other bike...

Top Bottom