rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Just curious about how reliable your rmz450's have been, are they hard too work on etc.. Im in the market for a new bike..
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Rick,
I've had my RMZ 450 since mid March. I love this bike, its the best bike I've ever owned. I have approximately 25 hours my bike with zero problems. Two valve checks with no movement with readings dead in the middle of the specs. I've adjusted the cam chain once since it is a manual adjustment. I know two other riders with RMZ 450 and both have had zero problems also. This bike turns like its on a rail, has a very friendly power delivery that just keeps pulling with no big hit like a YZf and the suspension is very nice. The brakes are very strong and progressive without being grabby. Did I say I love this bike? ;)

I feel the bike is easy to work on. To remove the air filter you have to remove the left number plate and seat to pull the filter out the side of the airbox. Its still tight, but a little easier then other bikes that you come through the frame rails to remove the air filter.

On thumpertalk there have been two or three guys with cam chain issues. I believe there problems are due to improper adjustment by not have the motor at TDC on the compression stroke with the cam lobes both pointing outward.

The only other issue was a few reports of the handlebar clap breaking.

There have not been a great number of valve problems or motors blowning up. But, the bike has not been out that long so there is not much of a track record to go by. So far it looks like Suzuki hit this nail on the head right off the bat.

Buy the bike, keep fresh oil and air filters in it, keep up with valve and cam chain checks and you will be a very happy camper. :ride: Did I say I love this bike? ;)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the Great re-ply, one thing i was curious about is the power delivery, sounds nice and smooth.. How hard is it too adjust the valves??
Thanks,
Rick

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
No problems at all.I checked my valves at 3 hrs,then 10,then 10 and another 10 ten,still the same.Granted I need to put more time on the motor.The cam chain at the 3 hr mark was a little loose,nothing alarming. I tightened it up and checked after 10 more hrs,it was loose, more than the first time,but hasn't changed since. If you can read,you can adjust the valves,pretty cut and dry.

Last edited:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I have to agree, my buddies who bought the bike have had no problems. i made fun of them in the beginning saying it is Suzuki it WILL blow up, but i have to eat my words. They are still ticking away.

Erik

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
rickyd said:
Thanks for the Great re-ply, one thing i was curious about is the power delivery, sounds nice and smooth.. How hard is it too adjust the valves??
Thanks,Rick

Rick,
I haven't adjusted my valves yet as both times I've checked them they have been dead in the middle of the specs. I've never adjusted a set of valves in my life, but with the manual and help of others I'm not concerned when the time comes.

As for the power delivery it is very smooth and continues to pull in a very steady fashion. I've raced the bike six times so far at my local tracks summer series and have pulled 5 hole shots in 12 motos with a gate full of CRF's and YZF's.

The only thing I don't like is the idle adjustment knob on the carb is hid behind the head stay and the transmission vent hose. Its difficult to adjust the idle with the knob behind all of this.

Go buy one, it makes riding even funner! :aj:

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
The upper fork clamp should be replaced. The casting does not give a good fit at the bar mount and allows things to twist which then will break. The wheels need to be trued up during break-in as the spokes loosen alot.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I have had mine for 3 months and not 1 problem..... Best bike i've had a blast to ride. Makes me smile everytime I ride.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thank you for all the info, soon as i get my bike back together and it cools down some, new bike for me :cool:

CALEB HAWKINS

Sep 14, 2005
Need help! I have a 05 rmz45o with a stock pipe. Recently when I get on the pipe out of a turn it will hesitate or cut out on me. It doesn't do it all the time though. I went from the stock main jet of 165 to a 175, and it still cuts out. I just checked my air screw and it was only a 1/2 turn out, so I turned it 1-1/2 out. I'm going to Perris tonight,hopefully this helps. Does anybody have any other reccomendations? Oh by the way, I clean my air filter after every ride. Please help!!!!

Top Bottom