any machinist types? sleeve question

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have found a steel sleeve in my cylinder and was wondering if the piston clearance should be greater or smaller than factory specs for the plated cylinder?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Hey man. Glad to see you're already preparing to stitch her back up already! I hope to get out this weekend, but am having some trouble out of the rear caliper...

The stock clearance will be perfectly fine when going to a sleeve AFAIK. What brand piston are you planning on using? If you aren't going to have to bore it, I'd go with pro-x and mic the existing bore size. This way you can match the proper pro-x piston to the wear in your sleeve, if any. They come in stock, B, C and D sizes. This can buy you at least a few thousandths without needing to bore it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
good Idea JD but I really only have a veneer caliper.. do you know where I can get some good but inexpensive inside snap gage things. the rod is cleaned up I'm just on the fence about honing it and putting new rings in and run it for a few rides and recheck the rod condition or even just putting the old rings back in for that matter.

I will have to have my machinist measure it though

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
also the fsm specs don't match with the wiesco measurements like ring thickness and ring groove to ring clearance I got .05mm of side clearance and .93980mm actual ring thinkness and fsm says 1.17mm-1.19mm

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Wiseco uses their own ring design and dimensions. They probably use their own piston-to-cylinder clearances as well, since the Wiseco piston has different thermal expansion characteristics.
Generally, a steel/iron sleeve will expand less than a plated aluminum cylinder, so you'd need slightly more clearance. How much is "slightly"? I dunno..... :)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah I though so too but on the "m" piston instruction sheet from wiesco the instructions say use the factory clearances for both plated and sleeved pistons...

I believe what your saying ...my kdx never ran good untill it was warmed up all the way. I can fit a .20mm feeler between my piston and sleeve so to be safe I will probably go with a .50 oversize cause a .25 would probably fit in now with out machining

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I think Enco has a decent inside gauge for around $90. Take it to a dealer or a machine shop and have them measure the piston diameter and the inside diameter of the sleeve. Feeler gauges are not the way to go. You have been drinking too many canned beers and posting again, haven't you? :-)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
no beers,,, must be getting high on all the cleaner I've been using....

I found my water pump bearing in the right case was really rough and made a tool from a double shanked nail and vise grips to pull in out..I hate blind bearings!!!

the pic in the fich is not direct any one know for sure if the 92045A is the case side water pump bearing??

Also picked up a kdx frame, front wheel, tripple, forks and front brake from a guy who was doing a hybrid kdx/kx..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Its early, whats with the mm measurements? Did I wake up in some foreign land? .002" is a good skirt clearance for oem or wiseco. These seemingly bizarre pistons, are they giving you them for free, or is it really worth it? That cylinder and head could have been on its way back from Forward Motion, fixed and ready to go. He can plate it or bore it more than likely. If you fork over the money for a new piston, and you know the od, a feeler gaige can accurately determine if the bore is good. Snap, or telescopic inside gauges can work, with the right touch, and an outside mic. Inside mics will work, good luck finding them, I do not believe even Starrett makes them anymore. A bore gauge, thats the ticket, or send it to Eric. The blind bearing remover is priceless, or taking it to the local shop, what a headache. Your "tool" worked, fantastic!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
no man I got the good stuff w/ trichloroethane....

I think I'm going to send everything off to RB designs with a few requests found in reading performance tuning by Gram Bell

such as clearance the power valve, chamfer the piston skirts outer edge and chamfer the ports after the final hone.

after much reading I want to go back with a forged piston 711mo6650 because my cleanances were pretty big and the piston held on where as a cast would have probably scattered.
also the forged piston has thinner rings that reduce friction and heat

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Its early, whats with the mm measurements? Did I wake up in some foreign land? .002" is a good skirt clearance for oem or wiseco. These seemingly bizarre pistons, are they giving you them for free, or is it really worth it? That cylinder and head could have been on its way back from Forward Motion, fixed and ready to go. He can plate it or bore it more than likely. If you fork over the money for a new piston, and you know the od, a feeler gaige can accurately determine if the bore is good. Snap, or telescopic inside gauges can work, with the right touch, and an outside mic. Inside mics will work, good luck finding them, I do not believe even Starrett makes them anymore. A bore gauge, thats the ticket, or send it to Eric. The blind bearing remover is priceless, or taking it to the local shop, what a headache. Your "tool" worked, fantastic!

hey thats all the fsm specs is metric and its .2mm and thats .05 mm off from the .25mm over piston so I'm going with the .50 from wiesco

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
What is the outer diameter of the sleeve?

I am wondering if it could be removed (vaporized by aliens, whatever it takes) and then bored to the Eric Gorr 223cc size.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
.2mm is .00787 inch = not good

no thanks glad I'll stick with the sleeve and not be so lazy about popping the top maybe every 20-30 hrs??

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The steel is a LOT more stable than aluminum, yes! You better believe if my old iron goes awry, its going to Eric and get plated! The stock cylinder and stock kawasuki plating loved guys to go long on service, oval cylinders and peeled plating city. I completely forgot about going long on sleeves though, bye bye skirt, some in a zillion pieces. On another note, do you suppose that will be our new national debt word, zillions, I like it! The id of your cylinder would be more than a 350 with that liner out? The ultimate cheater bike? That would be to crazy for Eric? There was another guy though, Peterson(bigger in other racing circles)? I will have to ask a guy who had a 125 done up to a 180 something, it was insane and not reliable though. I think you can do things to trail bikes not recommended for mx? Since Fredette started selling power now look alike's, and I am still leary of RB(eye candy porting), I would still tell you to drop Eric an email at least.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I did the Eric Gorr big bore / port / plating kit and like it.

That being said, I just helped a buddy buy a KDX-220 and am restoring it for him now.

According to the previous owner, his stock piston grenade within the first three months of ownership (naturally), so he bored and plated it to repair it. Not long after, that plating then started to peel, and caught a piston, and grenaded it *again*. Or maybe he was dumb and reused stock pistons, who knows. My guess is that the 220 won't let you bore enough material out to get a clean bonding surface for the nickisil... thats consistent with what Eric told me... he said the 225 big bore for the 200 was the more reliable path, as boring it out removes more of the factory tungsten deposition coating that can interfere with the nickisil bonding. Makes sense, but I am no expert.

Anyway, in disgust, that guy said he he bored and sleeved it in steel. It then proceeded to run like a clock for the next 7+ years, he would just re-hone and slap in a new piston once every season or two. I tore it down last weekend, and everything still looked fine, so I bolted it back together. Looking at his sleeve, I think it was already into the water jacket, but it's hard to tell. Not much material left for boring on the 220.

So nikasil is the theoretically better coating... it transmits heat insanely well and should be very durable. That being said, especially if you start with a 220, I am now thinking going with a steel sleve isn't as dumb as I was originally thinking... especially if you can find somebody to do good work cheap.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I like the idea of having a sleeve I just didn't know I already had one!!
hey it worked for many decades for the factory race bikes untill they found the plating technic

I have an email into eric gorr and I'm waiting on a reply/pricing.

Top Bottom