Any thoughts on Jimmy Lewis' article on 4Ts killing the Lites class?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Lewis has an interesting article in this month's Dirt Rider magazine about how the cost of Lites class 4T motor repair is driving inexperienced riders into the larger class. (Isn't this what Brownie did during the Nationals???)

His article isn't a 4T vs 2T flame, but he does make some good points about how the 4T is changing the dynamics of the sport, and the changes he identifies aren't good.

With that said, my next bike will almost certainly be a 4T. :)

Any thoughts on this article?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I agree with 4 strokes and the cost of owning them. Especially with regards to new owners, who may not have much mechanical experience. When I was 13 my RM 80 needed a new top end (actually now I know that it was way over due for one:) ) I was reading MXA or Dirtbike can't remember which one, and they had an article on how to do a top end. I read it a few times through and did the top end.( nope it didn't blow up ether)

This can't happen with 4 strokes. Yes you can do your own work but not as intuitively.
So they ether don't do it and it gernades or they take it to the shop.
Hopefully they get help from someone who knows the first time. I may be the minority as my Dad hates motorcycles and I got zero help. ( good guy, just convinced I break my fool neck)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
when did "T" become short for "stroke"?
I've wondered that ever since I joined DR; just never asked. Thanks, XRp! :cool:

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
I believe T stands for technosynthese.. generic name for additive..

What does Technosynthese mean ?
Nowadays, the terms synthetic, semi-synthetic and synthesis base have been tainted, because it is not enough to add a few % of PAO to claim to rival the performances of oils using MOTUL synthesis techniques.
All techniques using synthesis products, developped and fully mastered by MOTUL for 30 years, are gathered under the generic name TECHNOSYNTHESE.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I read that editorial and found it interesting. I think that for the higher level riders, who need every last hp their engine can put out, it is more expensive.
However, for the average weekend racer I dont think a 4-stroke is any more expensive to operate than a 2-stroke. It does cost more to rebuild a 4-stroke, but you have to rebuild a 2-stroke a lot more often.
I know of several people who have several season of riding on their 250Fs and havent had to do much to their motors other than change the oil, change the oil filter and clean the air filter. I cant say the same about some of my other friends who have 2-stroke bikes. It seems like they are reringing their motors 2-3 times a year.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Octane250F said:
I dont think a 4-stroke is any more expensive to operate than a 2-stroke. It does cost more to rebuild a 4-stroke, but you have to rebuild a 2-stroke a lot more often.
I know of several people who have several season of riding on their 250Fs and havent had to do much to their motors other than change the oil, change the oil filter and clean the air filter. I cant say the same about some of my other friends who have 2-stroke bikes. It seems like they are reringing their motors 2-3 times a year.

So your 4 stroke friends ignore the factory recommended maintenance schedule, while your two stroke friends follow the maintenance schedule.

And this is your evidence that two strokes are more expensive to operate than a 4 stroke?

A racing machine should be properly maintained, no matter how many strokes it has.

Unfortunately, racing is an expensive hobby. Anytime costs increase, people will get priced out.

Top Bottom