Any way to tell condition of cylinder without pulling it??

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I found a pretty good deal on a 2001 YZ125, that "needs a little work". Says motor starts and runs fine, but it will probably need a new piston/rings, and it will need new sprockets and chain, as well as a new kickstart lever.

Now its a great deal, and I want to hit the woods by January 1st (place we ride is free on holidays). I dont mind getting it a new piston and ring and stuff, but how can I tell if the cylinder and plating itself is any good??? Thats all I am concerned about. I dont care if I need to spend $100 on a piston and ring and c-clip and upper bearing, but I DO NOT want to spend the $300 to replate or sleeve a cylinder.

How can I tell if the cylinder is scratched or the plating chipping?? BTW the price isn't too good to be true, but its good enough that even with replacing these parts its still a good value.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just tear it apart and it should be obvious if the cylinder is good. The walls should be clean and shiny. If it's chipping or worn thin it should be pretty obvious under good light.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If it's not gouged or damaged, you can have it re-plated for under 200. Not sure where you got the $300 figure from... US Chrome quotes $185 for a strip and replate.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I though a replate required a new piston to be sent in. So 200+100=300.

The problem is its a running bike, but he says it just needs a little work like sprockets and chain, piston and ring, small stuff. The bike looks pretty clean, almost makes me wonder why he wants so little for it (he has the title too). So I cant exaclty come over and tear the top end off his running bike to see if the plating is good.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You obviously need a new piston anyway so it's 185 for the replate and whatever you pay for a piston kit. The cylinder will be put to stock specs or overbored if you wish. You shouldn't have to send the piston in for a stock size bore replate, they should be able to simply measure it with a bore gauge to verify the diameter.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Oh ok, thought I had heard someone say I would need to send in a piston, maybe it was for boring a sleeve. Well if thats the case then I might just snag it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'd call the place you plan on having do the plating, they might be able to hook you with a piston kit for the same or less than you'd pay elsewhere and you'll save on shipping.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom