Are KTMs more expensive to own?

ZR

Feb 7, 2001
Are KTMs more expensive to maintain than a Japenese bike? I am possibly interested in an M/XC 200 but am concerned that the parts and upkeep would be more expensive than a regular Japenese bike. Thank you.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I have a 98 125sx & just replaced my 1st top end. It went through 1 & 1/2 seasons of racing (B Class) and 10 months of my beginner riding. The compression test showed a little less than 150psi and was getting hard to start. I did have to replace the clutch plates and the shop charged me $79 parts & labor.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Parts might be a little more spendy but they are higher quality and generally last longer so it all comes out in the wash. If you stay on top of the little stuff it will make the whole bike last longer and be more reliable (this holds for any bike though
wink.gif
).

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Judge for yourself:
http://www.geocities.com/aa21830/KTMlog.html

Keep in mind the number of hours this bike has been ridden, and the fact that I am not the smoothest rider out there. But here's some high dollar items that I never damaged on either of my Suzuki RMX's:

- brake rotors
- triple clamps
- rear hub

Also keep in mind that my RMX's were ridden mostly in Illinois mud, which may be harder on chains, sprockets and brake pads, but without the rocks, other parts that don't get smashed up as much (like brake rotors and hubs).

------------------
John S.
'99 KTM 300EXC
'93 Kawasaki KLX650-C
www.geocities.com/aa21830

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I am possibly also interested in the same bike. How important is it to be located near a KTM dealer as well? None around me. Do KTM owners have any difficulty getting parts?

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Coalition Member
gospeedracer’s Picture Page

[This message has been edited by gospeedracer (edited 02-21-2001).]

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
GSR:

You won't have to pay sales tax if you buy the bike out of state. I don't know if CA DMV will ding you when you go to get your green/red sticker. My local KTM dealer stocks all the common parts, and some not-so common. If I do need to order something, it's here in a week.

You may want to think seriously about buying used. You can probably save $1000-$1500, by buying a one or two year old bike. Check trader on line when you are ready. There is a 2000 200exc in Ventura for $4800. Take 'ole Kiwi along to look it over. Not only does he know what to look for, but that social animal will probably be able to talk them down a few hundred. Good LucK!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 02-21-2001).]

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh I am sure I would buy used, although they are hard to find in my area... I was just asking about the importance of a local dealership in order to get parts. Like I said, I don't have the fortune of having a "local KTM dealer" near me. So I was wondering the difficulty of getting parts for me. Would I have to do all my ordering via mail?
I seriously doubt our DMV will be a prob, they are clueless... besides I can always just pay $20 bucks for an out of state reg. at the local HSY dealer.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
GSR, not only is there a 200 right outside your door (Ventura- 35 miles??), but the must be a half dozen KTM dealers in and around LA. Now's the time!

You can check out the California dealers at www.ktmusa.com Good LucK!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Having a dealer close by isn't a big necessity especially with the Internet and DRN. Besides with the better quality parts your not as prone to be visiting for replacement stuff even if you do aauger in usually it's for those "necessary" items which without a dealer close by means you'll have more green in your pockets.

(I think she's just attracted to the front fender form
wink.gif
)

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thanks for the site link Strick. Looks like Pasadena is the closes dealer! (don't know if the one in Thousand Oaks has KTMs) Wish I could take a 250 for a spin. I've ridden LoriKTM's 200 briefly. I don't know why I didn't think KTM sooner, probably that god awful ORANGE!
tongue.gif

Found a few in cycle trader in the San Diego area, the one in Ventura is too much. Still mulling it over. I think I will be visiting this forum a bit more now though.
smile.gif

And Patman....
eek.gif
nevermind..... you need NO encouragement....
tongue.gif

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
Thousand Oaks Yamaha Kawasaki has KTMs. Don't know about their inventory. Also KTMs seem to be kind of the Red Headed step children there. Haven't heard nice things about the Pasadena dealer. Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Ontario probably has best inventory. Dealership I've had best service from is KTM of Mojave. Speak to Lori over there. Almost positive I saw a 200 over there recently. They do awesome pre delivery set up including setting up suspension for your weight etc.

[This message has been edited by creator8 (edited 02-22-2001).]

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
WHEW! I almost had to pick up the phone!Thanks GSR, I got my mind set on that 200exc in Ventura. Already talked with the guy and all - should happen this weekend. Selling my DRZ though, and that's gonna be a sad day.
frown.gif

------------------
William
00 DRZ400E

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
That's awesome William. Congrats!
smile.gif
You're lucky that you didn't have to duke me for it!
tongue.gif

I have a feeling that if/when I eventually get a KTM it may be out of state....

Thanks for the info creator8, good to know.

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member

[This message has been edited by gospeedracer (edited 02-22-2001).]

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer:
You're lucky that you didn't have to duke me for it

Yeah, especally since I'm still nursing a broken arm!

I bet Patman would take you up on that though.
eek.gif

------------------
William
00 DRZ400E

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by *william*:
Yeah, especally since I'm still nursing a broken arm!

Well maybe you should have thought twice about picking on those little 2nd grade girls...
tongue.gif

I bet Patman would take you up on that though.
eek.gif

Pleease, Patman is nothing but a girly man... I can only knock him down so many times... it has ceased to be entertaining
wink.gif

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I rode KX's for years before I bought my '01 380SX back in November. I really didn't think I needed a new bike that much but after putting some hours on the new KTM I've changed my tune. The bike is so good. It's light, flickable, and has perfect power for me.

As far as prices, my dealer charged me the same as a Japanese 250. Fortunately nothing has broken yet so maintenance costs are minimal so far.

Cameron

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
having a 400exc,i've found that it depends on the part,example chain slide 400exc-$20 ,89 cr250-$35 ---oil filter 400exc-$12 ,xr400-$8,now these are oem prices,what is harder to find is aftermarket replacement parts

Top Bottom