WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The noise issue has plagued our sport long before most members of this site were born. Long before the current generation 4-strokes were even a thought in some designers brain. Recently I found an original Cycle World test on the '72 Bultaco Alpina. The article claims this bike is "quiet as a church mouse". Now I own almost the exact same bike and out of all my bikes it's the loudest. It's the slowest bike I own, but the noise alone scares my kids... and ticks off the wife. My son won't ride with me if I'm on the Bultaco.

Jul 11, 2005
I Totally Agree That The Noise Level Is Way Way To Loud I Went To A Race Track Last Night And The Bikes Were Louder Then The Pro-Motified Sprits.....And There REALLY LOUD!

jenn

Jul 8, 2006
This thread educates at least one...hopefully others

This thread is fantastic! I am officially being educated about noise and the realization of what we will lose if we don't make a stand.

I am a fairly new rider (started less than 1 year ago) and surprisingly this noise topic has not come up very much in my crowd. Especially surprising because I live in Cali where the laws are strick and there plenty of efforts going on around here to close down or restrist our riding spaces.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard the noise topic a couple of times- however, the topic was more like a few guys bragging about how awesome their loud *$$ bikes are. Unfortunately that was the extent of the conversation. I imagine I will have a pretty strong (and more educated) response to these people next time.

The funny thing is that these people really are not monsters :p . They are good (and very misinformed) guys who I have learned a great deal about riding from. Maybe it is time for them to learn something about riding from me ?!!! :nod:

Here's what I plan to do- BE PROACTIVE!

1. I have been looking to purchase a new bike. When I find the one I want- you can believe that I will research to find out if it is at 96db or less (stock). If it is higher I will definately purchase whatever aftermarket stuff I need and bring it down to an appropriate roar.

2. I will spread the word....both to those who came before me and to those who come to this great sport after me. Make no mistake I will be firm. :yell: (but reasonable). I am sure that because we all have one thing in common...WE LOVE RIDING, there is adjustments that we ALL can make to ensure it's future. The change has to start with OUR ATTITUDES.

3. I'm going to get on the site that Okie suggested and buy me some rad *$$ bumper stickers and a tee. :cool:

Thanks for making me a better rider (and I wasn't even on my bike)! I will do my darn'dest to share the wealth (knowledge).

kakashi

Nov 10, 2006
thank god i live where i do here no one cares if youve got a loud bike allmost everyone on the road has a atv or dirt bike and we ride the woods and its down into a valleyish area and you can hear it easily outside but you cant hear it well from inside unless nothing is on and its dead quiet in the house

BBking25

Nov 28, 2006
i haven't been by enough race bikes to here that, mine and my family's is quiet but i'm getting a yz250f soon, hopefully its not too loud!

i heard they cut some power to decrease the sound which is good, also because i'll be a new rider and too much power could be bad
-i couldn't have too much sound, i'd change it though they need something different than that dB KTM snorkel...ugly ugly ugly

but i really can't stand it when on the road a bike goes buy and you have to practically yell for someone to hear you :bang:

rm250_master

Jan 19, 2007
i love to race and im thinking about opening my own track when i get older and if i have 2 i will buy my own bikes to rent out be fore they stop rideing all together.

dirtbiker 4 life!:aj:

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
2T vs 4T noise issue

To preserve the sport a 98db noise limit must be investigated! Can a 4T make the limit and be competitive with a 2T at the same noise level? Will a 98db limit be needed for a 2T when the closures are coming from noise that travels and irritates locals as now with the current 4T trend? :whoa:

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
a suggestion on the loud sucks banner.

Sticking this at a local track event, everyone would know what it means.

But if you used it somewhere else not everyone would know what you were talking about. Somehow include what you are talking about in the banner. I dont know exactly how to do that. A picture, additional text, dont know it's a great start though. It's something for the more creative people to come up with.

shadowsniper

Mar 18, 2007
you know i've been reading most some of this thread and i can agree. i believe in loud pipe just because i like the deep throat noise, but your right the noise is a problem for alot of people out there. a few weeks ago i was talking to a buddy of mine about how it pissed him of that road bikes can have there pipes as loud as the want but we dirt bikers have very strict regulations. i would be willing to get involved, let me know what needs to be done and i will do what ever i can.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Street bikes really cannot be "as loud as they want." Almost all cities have noise ordances. The police in that town will probably stop you if you ride through with your noisy street bike.

Also remember that even though street bikes have loud pipes, its not a whole lot different from a semi truck barreling down the road. You only hear the loud pipes for 15-20 seconds as they drive by.

MX bikes usually ride in a small area, within a constant distance. They also are ridden in the middle of nowhere a lot of times. People expect a loud harley , semi , helicopter , airplane, jackhammer, dump truck, rap music, etc. while in an urban setting.

They don't expect these things while horse back riding, camping, hiking, taking a crap, etc in the middle of the forest. Also don't forgot about the negative stereotypes people already have about us.

Some old man drove up to my cabin just last saturday and started complaining that "I was ripping up the town roads and doing donughts" He went on and on about how its illegal to ride that thing and the he graded the roads, etc. He also told me about some rider on "yellow bike" he chased off his "sand pit" just a few days ago. He took my U-turn on a dead end minimum maintenance road for a donut somehow I guess. Thank god I don't own a suzuki or I think he would have called the sheriff.

This guy was obviously lumping me into the rest of the r-tards who he had to chase off his private property.

After I informed him that I had a motorcycle licence, the bike was fully registered with the DNR and that I was just as legal as the 30 four wheelers that run up and down the road all day he got a bit quiter. I apoligized 15 times for "ripping up the road" and told him I would be more careful. I have no other way to get to the 1 trail we have left besides driving carefully down this road.

My tracks had completely dissappeared when it rained the next day, but the point is he already stereotyped me as a jackass dirtbiker, and will probably continue to lump me into the group.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I didnt want to start a new thread on something I know has been hashed out here alot, and I didnt want to put one in the Flame section. This is probably already been said by a few of you in this thread but I just got to say something.

I am not bashing 4 Strokes, because have you heard a stock WR450 or stock CRF450X, very quiet. I know 4 strokes can be quiet, but I went to ReeeeeeeeedBud this weekend and I will tell you the AMA is NOT doing enough about the problem. If they want to do something they will have to start with the professional ranks because alot of people are easily influenced into thinking they have to have what #4 and #7 have. I would be willing to bet the race would have been just as good and turned out just the same had they all been riding quiet bikes. If ALL of them had been riding quiet bikes.

But they will just talk about it and crap becuase I think very few people really care these days.

May 9, 2007
Yep, went to the track last weekend. Saw two bikes. 1 2smoke and 1 thumper. The little two stroke was rippin it up and the 4 stroke rode like me-slow and unsure.

You guessed it. The four stroke was obnoxious and loud. I was thinking-yep he really needs that extra 1 or 2 hp. Plaaaalleeeeeze.

Dgaspar

Sep 26, 2007
How do you get your bike noise tested? These sound meters can be pretty expensive to use only once or twice. I have a two stroke CR250 and want to use it on the public trails. There is a 96db restriction and I have no idea how loud my bike. One thing for sure its alot quieter then a comparable 4 stroke! That being said I know a bit about power spectrum and noise is measured at certain frequencies which is more sensitive to the pitch made by a two stroke.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Dgaspar said:
How do you get your bike noise tested? These sound meters can be pretty expensive to use only once or twice.

Expensive for one guy, but not for a club.
Maybe join or go visit one.

Another possiblity is to rent a meter from a local concert sound company. Most likely if you ask to rent one for five minutes in the parking lot, they will probably just go outside and hold the meter for you for free.

You will also need a tach. Chainsaw shops have the vibrating kind for 2 strokes and they are pretty cheap.

Aug 9, 2015
you know i've been reading most some of this thread and i can agree. i believe in loud pipe just because i like the deep throat noise, but your right the noise is a problem for alot of people out there. a few weeks ago i was talking to a buddy of mine about how it pissed him of that road bikes can have there pipes as loud as the want but we dirt bikers have very strict regulations. i would be willing to get involved, let me know what needs to be done and i will do what ever i can.
Road bikes in almost all states HAVE regulations as to how loud they can be. It is just not enforced. As a non-rider near a dubiously legal trail, I am sick and tired of being woken or disturbed by riders in the woods. If they were quiet enough I would not mind, I enjoy a stroll in the woods, why can't you. But when you get to the point that I can't hear my walking partner and you are still a quarter mile away, we have a problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom