XtremeKaw

May 6, 2000
Okay, here's the age old question.  Has anyone found a good exercise to help eliminate arm pump??  I feel like Popeye after a few laps!  Who needs spinach??

SRM

May 17, 2000
RIDE, RIDE, and RIDE some more.  This is the only truly effective way I have seen of overcoming it.  Stretch your forearms and wrists good also.  As far as exercises go, lightweight wrists curls help some people (high reps), but most people I ride with say the more you ride the less the effects are.  I know at the start of a Dessert race I sometimes get it bad but if I remember to relax it goes away quickly.  This seems to work no matter what kind of racing I am doing, even mountain biking.

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
There are a lot of good exercises.  None of them I know about enough to describe.

However, one good way to reduce arm pump is to make sure you are properly hydrated BEFORE race day.  Some people will still get arm pump even then but I have found from conversations with a lot of others that ride that the biggest complainers of arm pump are those that don't drink enough water.

It is a simple test.  Drink a gallon of water a day for 2 weeks and see if your arm pump decreases.  It worked for me.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Only problem a gallon a day I'll wear the floor out heading to the bathroom all night
smile4.gif

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
OK, we may know some ways to avoid it.  I know I ultimately get it.  I have been trying to find ways to get rid of it when I am still in a moto.  I bit more open on the hand, wiggle the fingers, it seems to work.  In my novice classes they really don't catch up.  It is not really a speed break, just a little more out of control.

Any other in-moto armpump relief techniques?

Gripper

Apr 18, 2000
OK...
once you've got "it"....try to focus on RELAXING when you can (i.e. smooth sections, over jumps, etc...) and remember to BREATHE deeply. Try to not keep a "death grip" on the bars....Breathe, relax, breathe, relax, breathe, relax--repeat this mantra....

Now, having said that...do not give up on prevention! There ARE many things you can do to mitigate the effects of armpump!( I currently ride a 500--I know!!!
smile4.gif
) first off, I agree with the above posts--Don't underestimate the power of water--hydration is a key factor. I am not talking about drinking Gatorade (et all), the day of the race--I am talking about on a CELLULAR level--drink "tons" of water starting (at least) 72 hours before your race. Next, get plently of potassium in your system--potatoes, bananas, supplements etc...I also think armpump has more to do with circulation than "strength"--try to loosen up  (i.e ride HARD in practice, do excercises before you moto, etc...) before the race to get your blood "flowing"....

I still get armpump real bad on occasion and the other times I am not affected by it at all, so by no means do I have the answers....just what works best for me...hope this helps....

Also, you mention "t"not affecting speed, but control...watch this--if something is affecting your control, it canaffect your speed in a MAJOR way! By that I mean, if you "pumpup" real bad it is best to back off and come back to "fight" at a later time--most (if not ALL) of my "big" (read: injury inducing) get-offs have occured when I was pumped and crashed as a result of something I normally would have "saved." Just a caveat....

Best of luck!

Gripper
'99 CR 500R
Vet Int-B MX

Mar 17, 2000
I've noticed if I focus on keeping my elbows up high it takes a lot of the stress off my forearms.  Getting lazy and letting my elbows drop usually results in arm pump.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
I have never had arm pump before this past year.  I used to ride a lot in the Rockies and such. In the years before I had physical jobs including an electrical apprenticeship.  In electrical work a high percentage of work is done using your hand grip.  All day cutting wire, pulling wire, and using screwdrivers (in the dark days before cordless screwguns) makes for *very* strong hands and forearms.

Now I sit in an office most of the day and have several crews of guys out there "excercizing".  My point is that I beleive arm pump can be overcome using strength training.  Get a set of wrist excercizers and work with them throughout the day for 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

Or get an electrical job! (I'm hiring right now)

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Arm pump typically attacks me the first laps of the day...and I mean seriously attacks, like I can't even hold onto the bike after just three laps. Then after I rest for about 10 minutes and head back out, it's much better. By the end of the day, the rest of my body gives out before arm pump forces me to pull off. Relaxation and getting into a groove definitely help in my case. (Perhaps the initial nervous excitement of getting to the track also aggravates it???)

Also, I've recently picked up a little exercise that helped some my last ride and I hope it will give some relief through the summer. Whenever I'm sitting idle (driving, mostly), I open and close my hands as rapidly as possible. You'd be surprised in how short a time you feel it in your forearms. It works even better if you cock your wrist back as far as possible when you do this. Alternatively, I also squeeze and release the steering wheel as I drive.

James
00CR250

XR Lifer

May 12, 2000
I read about this in DR or DB--I stretch the cuffs of my jersey until they are loose and also leave the cuffs on my gloves loose. I've been doing it for years but I don't know if it helps or not. I don't pump any more though....

RABID ROB

May 26, 2000
1.  Like several people mentioned, HYDRATE yourself.   One gallon a day, everyday, for the rest of your life.  Your body is 98% H2O.  When your our riding and your mouth becomes dry, your too late.  All of the water in the world will not help at this point.  Like someone said earlier, it take at least 3 days to fully hydrate your body while drinking a gallon a day.
2.  Full body cardio vascular exercises.  Rowing is probably the best full bodied exercise you can perform.  It gets the blood flowing in and out of the muscles.  Gary Semics says you should be able to do these exercises at 70 to 80% of your heart rate for at least an hour.  Preferably 1.5 hours.
3.  Make sure you are getting sufficient minerals and vitamins.  Magnesium, potassium etc.  These aid in transfer of blood in and out of the muscles.  Take a one a day, and eat at least 2 bananas a day.
4.  Warm up for at least 10 minutes before a ride or race.  Studies show that you are 13% less likely to pump up if your warm up before competition.
5.  Practice on not death gripping the bars when not needed. (i.e.. jumping through the air, flat straight away).  Always grip the bike with your knees 90 % of the time.  This will allow you to lessen your grip which in turn will allow the blood to exit your forearms which in turn will not let lactic acid build up in them which in turn will not give you arm pump.
6.  Buy Gary Semic "Eliminating Arm Pump" video, and don't let your 2 year old yank out the tape to it an ruin it.  I speak from experience.

I really don't think there is a single tip that will get you where you need to be.  For most people, it is a combination of several things that helps.  These six steps I mentioned finally worked for me.  It took 12 years of racing though.

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Another perspective on arm pump, it has nothing to do with hydration. Arm pump is the result of anaerobic metabolism due to insuficient oxygen delivery to the non-dilated arterial system in the muscle bed. Anaerobic metabolism results in lactic acid build up and the swollen, dead forearm feel. Once the cardiovascular system is up and running efficently the oxygen debt is eventually paid and the arm pump resolves. It takes a good whole body warm-up and sweat however.
Hydration is very important, but it has nothing to do with arm pump. By the way, all those energy and sport drinks are a waste of money and time, but very profitable to the companies selling them.

nofear747

May 30, 2000
when im riding i try to support most of my weight on the pegs, then the seat, and the least amount of weight supported on the handlebars. I find it very important to firmly grip the seat with your knees while riding. On the easier parts of a track i am able to loosen my grip till the point where my fingers are not even holding the bar, and  i'm still able to be in control. Try this sometime and maybe it will work for you.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
There is a "power bar" that has been patented by a research scientist from Edmonton, Alberta.  The bar has all the vitamin/mineral/carbs etc but something in the chemistry stops the build up of lactic acid.  I think Melaleuca (sp?) has licensed the formula and has several products using it.
They have a website with info I believe.

------------------
Special-K D X
Founder: Rusty Demons Of Hurt M.C.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I am a hydrater for sure but allways get serious arm pump on my first outing at the track.  I let it get as bad as I can then stop and take a break.  After that I dont seem to get it again anless I am really pushing it in a moto.  I do hand exercises and pushups on my knuckles that seem to help, also I do alot of fore arm stretching.  It does seem that I need to get past that first pump and I am ok.  I am still trying to eliminate it though and will try some of the other ideas here too.  

------------------
99 cr 250,  SRAC #440

CORYZ250

Apr 20, 2000
I think riding style, gripping, and time on the bike have the most to do with preventing arm pump. You need to really learn to loosen up, if your riding tight, loosen up, whether it be in tight corners jumps or what ever seems to be the most difficult part of the track. It seems crazy to relax in the most difficult sections but it will work. water and hydration do play a small role in arm pump, but nothing as much as nerves and a tight riding posture do. Loosen up man!

Endo King

Apr 11, 2000
This is just an opinion.. I'm not saying its ethical or anything else... just an opinion..

Epidrine Hydochloride (Sp?) is basically a legal 'Speed'
It gets the heart pumping faster and REALLY lessenss armpump.
Basically if you doub;e the recommened dose its like 'Speed'
I've tried it (as recommended by other racers) and it REALLY works.
Problem with it is that it has been abused by the 'Ravers' and is harder to get hold of now over the counter.
Its also illegal in some sports.. ie. World Superbikes.. Haga tested positive to it and now faces a month ban.
Also if taken in 'Raver' style it REALLY dehydrates you..
If you remember about 2- 3 years ago in the Tour de France the rider that was blitzing everyone feel off his bike dead at the top of the hill. His autopsy showed 10 times the recommended dose (also illegal in cycling). It overspead his heart and he died. Part of the reason he was winign was the Epidrine.

If you are having major probs.. by all means try it.. but stick to the recommended dose and drink alot of water (also check you're allowed to use it in the AMA or whatever rules)
But don't abuse it.. it'll only harm you.. (as does abusing any substance) but in a controlled state it'll work to your advantage.

As I stated before.. this is an opinion and is meant to inform people not to sway them towards illegal substance taking.
Check with the motorccling body 1st.

Endo King

Apr 11, 2000
BTW if you're not keen on the Epidrine idea then try some Pro Tapers.. They also work wonders for armpump and are also stronger.

-Zookster.. the body is 70% H2O.. not 98%..
smile9.gif
smile.gif

Top Bottom