Swarty

Oct 17, 2000
Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions on assembling a power valve on a 97 220. Also torque spec's would be helpfull. Manual back ordered! parts here.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
hi
I don't know if theres any big differences but you can go to my web site listed below and see if its any help to you. Its from the '89-'94 KDX200 manual. let me know how it goes.

------------------
KIPS repair from manual: http://www.ioa.com/~dragonfly/moto/kips.html
my sweetheart: '89 KDX200 SR

Swarty

Oct 17, 2000
I am ok with where all the parts go, I just need to know how to set the timing. Thanks for the info on the 94 but it looks quite different.
Swarty

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Installation:
Check for damage:
main valves & o-ring
sub-valves
Exhaust valve rods
Gaskets
Replace as ncessary

Apply 2-stroke engine oil to:
sub-valve journals
exhaust valve pinions
valve rod journals
valve rod rack

Apply high temp grease to o-ring on the right valve rod

Align the notched teeth on the sub-valve with the groove on the exhaust valve rod

Align each punch mark on the main shaft pinions with each groove on the exhaust valve rods.

Tighten:
Torque:
Main valve lever bolt: 3.9N-m (0.40kg-m, 35 in-lb)
Main shaft nut: 8.8 N-m (0.90 kg-m, 78 in-lb)
Valve rod plugs: 18 N-m (1.8kg-m, 13.0 ft-lb)
Valve Lockbolt: 7.8 N-m (0.80 kg-m, 69 in lb).

Install the resonator.
Torque resonator bolts: 5.9 N-m (0.,60kg-m, 52 in-lb)
Install the cylinder

DO NOT mix up the sub-valves and the exhaust valve rods on the right and left.
Thge right sub-valve has a groove and the right exhaust valve rod has an o-ring for identification.

(if you need pics, let me know & I'll scan them as soon as I can)

Swarty

Oct 17, 2000
Thank you Michelle, sounds as though you know your way around a toolbox! I was able to download a parts diagram from Buykawasaki.com. Its off to the garage.
Swarty

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Swarty,
Do a search at the top of the page for "power valves." You will find a post from Canadia Dave tellting how to line up the valves. I believe its when you pull the main exhaust valve all the way forward, then the two side valves will be in the open position. Double check me on that though. While you're in there read all the posts as there is some good information. I just got my 220 back together after cleaning the power valves and replacing the piston with a Wiseco. To every one thinking about replacing the piston .... go ahead. You'll be glad you did. Man this thing runs great again. The main thing to look out for is the left handed threads on the rod thingy which connects to the powervalve. Good luck and Happy Trails.
Keith

Swarty

Oct 17, 2000
Everything seemed to go togather as planned. The the bottom halve of the main valve seems to be rather loose is that a common trait?
Swarty

Top Bottom