CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
Asv C/5 Clutch Lever Question...

I have a dilemna, I'll give a little background. About 5 years ago I broke a clutch cable. I put a new one on the bike and rode some more(stock perch and lever) then let my bike set up for about 4 1/2 years since. While it set up I put all new plastic, ASV pro model c/5 clutch lever and perch with the quick adjust on it. The bike is a 99 CR 250. When I went to hook the clutch cable up to the new asv perch/lever, I had to pull up the clutch arm inside the cover to get the cable to reach. This wont work, the cable is pulled tight therefore eliminating the necessary slack/play between the clutch lever and the perch. I thought, damn, maybe they sent me the wrong cable. So I ordered a new motion pro cable from motosport.com and got it, took the other cable off and they are the same length. So put the new on the bike and same thing. Have to pull the clutch arm up to get the cable on it, and it still doesn't go all the way back down so there is still no slack.......I called asv and talked to a tech the other day, he said they've never run into that problem and I may have to get a custom length cable....I don't see how this is, as the quick adjust should add an extra length requirement the cables length as far as my brain can figure. Since the stock lever doesn't have this...I took the quick adjust knob and the normal thumb adjust thing that screws into the knob off and let the cable housing go directly into the perch and now it's long enough but looks kinda crappy...I don't see how others dont run into this problem since the quick adjust seems like would always require a longer cable to make up for the extra distance it adds between the perch and the end of the cable housing. Hope this makes sense to somebody and they can explain what the deal is.......It's running me crazy!!!! Thanks!!

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Check the end of the cable that's inside the ignition cover, sometimes the part that the cable attaches to on that end can get out of position and bind up.

Best to put the lever side on first, then the engine side. At least it was easier for me on my 125.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
checked that again, it is fine. also my new idea of taking the quick adjust off is not gonna work. I was messing with it some more and pulling the clutch lever and it pulled the end of the cable all the way through the perch. I thought it had a lip in the perch that wouldnt let it come all the way through but it dont. So this isnt gonna work....There's no way possible this cable is gonna work with this perch unless there is some kind of adjustment inside the clutch side of the engine that will let me adjust the height of the clutch arm on the ignition side......the arm itself is just too low for the length of the stock cable with the asv lever while the quick adjust knob is on there.......I just can't understand......wish I could find my stock clutch perch and lever!!!! I think I accidentally threw it away. :bang:

Herrmanator8

Jan 15, 2009
I just bought the motion pro cable and the f3 pro cllutch and brake levers and all I had to do was adjust the cable length. that part of the cable may need to be adjusted on the cable. Is your cable all the way up to the perch, cause I gave mine about .5" play onthe fly adjust.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
yeah the cable goes down into the top of the ignition part and seats into the hole with an o ring to seal it off so that end is all the way in, on the perch end, with the adjustment stuff taken off, the end of the cable housing goes all the way to the hole in the perch, where the adjustment knob would normally mount, for the end of the cable to reach the hole/slot in the lever itself. so ANY extra length added by putting the knob back on, keeps the end of the cable from reaching the hole in the lever........impossible for this to work with the adjuster added back to the perch unless there is an adjustment inside the clutch side of the engine that will make the clutch arm possible to move up toward the carb. I may need to take pics to show what i'm talkin about?? oh yeah, and the inline cable adjustment has been adjusted every way possible. since the cable is too short with the quick adjust knob on the perch, the inline would have to be screwed all the way toward the engine. there is no adjusting that can fix this problem, gonna have to have a longer cable if i cant adjust something inside the clutch cover itself..this is running me crazy lol I can't understand how this is happening

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
there is an adjustment on the cable itself.. You should loosen the nut and turn that adjustment all the way in.. so no threads are showing.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
yeah, it's all the way in, still about a half inch too short to reach the arm inside the ignition cover. I've looked at schematics on honda of troy website and see no adjustments for the clutch arm. only way I can get the cable on the clutch arm with the quick adjust on the perch is to pull that clutch arm up about half inch and put the end of the cable into it, then the arm wont go all the way down like its supposed to cause the cable is too short :yell: . I'm stumped........

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
still no luck............any more ideas?? This HAS to be a model specific problem......the cable must be on the verge of being too short with the stock perch for the adjuster on the c/5 to make it too short......could routing be a problem? I'm pretty sure I routed it the same as the stock cable. Don't think that could matter anyway...

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
Anybody have a 99 cr 250 with asv pro clutch perch/lever???

I need help big time with my 99 cr 250 since I put asv c/5 pro clutch perch/lever with quick adjust.. the cable is too short and wont allow any slack between the perch and lever.....put 2 new cables on the bike and same problem with both...i'm out of ideas.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did you compare the old cable to the new one? Had a similar issue when I switched out a worn stocker to a Motion Pro clutch cable on a Y01 CR125. After comparing them the housing on the MP was a good inch shorter than the stocker so there was no way to take all the slack out.

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
the stock cable broke a few years ago and i put a new cable on, rode it more with stock perch/lever. then let it set up, meantime put the asv perch/lever on and the cable is too short for any slack. ordered new cable to make sure i didnt get a bad one, same deal. exact same length.

I'll get some pics tonight and post them!!!!

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
Ok I have some pics now....

In this one, you can see that the inline adjustment is screwed all the way together as it should be to allow the longest length of the cable itself. The lever adjustment screw also screwed all the way in. This is the case in all pictures!!

The end of the cable is inserted into the lever in this first picture....
0122090205a.jpg

Next, this is the other end of the cable, while inserted into the lever...it won't reach the clutch arm inside the ignition cover..
0122090205.jpg

Next, with the cable inserted into the clutch arm in the ignition cover...
0122090208.jpg

Now, it won't reach the slot/hole in the clutch lever itself...
0122090209.jpg

Remember, this is the second cable that I've tried this with. The other(don't remember brand, but not motion pro I don't think) was new and ridden with the stock perch/lever for a few rides. Worked fine!! Bought the asv pro c/5 lever and wouldn't work with that cable. Bought a brand new motion pro cable the other day and same deal still..
Thanks for looking and trying to help!!!!

Jan 22, 2009
Kevin-

Hello, it's Robert from ASV Technical Support. Our ASV Pro Model Perchs, and our standard perches have the same amount of space from where the clutch cable enters the adjuster on the perch to where the hole is for the cable barrel on the lever. These measurements are within a half inch of the stock measurements of all four of the major brands. The inline cable adjuster and our barrel adjust will always more than make up any differences.

One suggestion I like to make is to re-install the stock clutch lever to make sure it is not something else. When ever possible we always recommend using the factory OEM clutch cable that is year, make & model correct for your bike, just to be sure.

Please call myself or Erik Westergaard in the ASV Tech Dept at 1-877-278-7000 option #6

We would like to make sure this gets solved.

Thanks,

Robert Morales,
ASV Inventions, Inc.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
CRkev said:
Remember, this is the second cable that I've tried this with. The other(don't remember brand, but not motion pro I don't think) was new and ridden with the stock perch/lever for a few rides. Worked fine!! Bought the asv pro c/5 lever and wouldn't work with that cable. Bought a brand new motion pro cable the other day and same deal still..
Thanks for looking and trying to help!!!!

That last picture clearly shows that the adjuster on the perch isn't all the way in. That's the first step...

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
I tried to call this evening and got no answer. the adjuster is in as far as it'll go, it's hitting the hole in the perch. won't go any farther. I'll call again tommorrow. oh and I accidentally threw the stock perch away...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2009
ASV C/5 Clutch Lever

Problem has been solved. The Motion Pro Clutch cable that Keven is using is not the same spec. as a stock Honda clutch cable. The dealer he bought it from notified him that Motion Pro sent out a notice that the Honda CR cables they were making were made with a shorter inner wire than stock. The dealer replaced his cable and everything works fine. Case Closed.

Robert Morales
ASV Tech Support

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
ASV Inventions said:
Problem has been solved. The Motion Pro Clutch cable that Keven is using is not the same spec. as a stock Honda clutch cable. The dealer he bought it from notified him that Motion Pro sent out a notice that the Honda CR cables they were making were made with a shorter inner wire than stock. The dealer replaced his cable and everything works fine. Case Closed.

Robert Morales
ASV Tech Support
Robert thanks for stepping in and helping that is the type of service I have always gotten when working with ASV in the past. :cool:

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
Yep you beat me to it Robert!! Thanks for the help! Great customer service! Everything is solved. It was the housing that was too long, not the inner cable being too short. Trimmed 3/4 inch off the housing and recrimped the little metal thing back onto the housing on the perch end. Problem solved!!! Thanks again Robert!!

Top Bottom