Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Just thought I'd post a thread listing the dates for Riverhead this year.

Sundays (9am start)
February 1st & 22nd
March 7th
April 18th

Friday twilight rides (4pm start)
January 16th
February 13th
March 19th

Enduro dates aren't out yet, but if Operau clashes again this year, we'll no doubt be cancelling a ride as most who put on the events are into enduros.

The last WMCC family day in Woodhill has passed but we'll be back in May next year, along with the rain, no doubt (and new trails).

If anyone wants more info about the rides, email me & I'll send out a flyer or help out with what I can.
Cheers & hope to see you there

We're now left with 2004 dates - guess that means we're nearly at the end of the year. Wishing you all a merry xmas & happy new year & will see you on the trails (or at sign-on) next year.
Michelle

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've just deleted one of the dates, but thought I'd post to it as well, in case the two of you who've read/looked at the post are genuinely interested ;)

Yeah, I'm excited about going back to the swamp, it's just too much fun, especially now I've got the TTR125L for there. Oh, if you see someone on one going fast, no, it's not me, it's a young girl. I'm the one who's either stuck and/or done something stupid & having a blast doing so.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Looks you have a pretty good schedule. Now that it is Summer time, do you ride more or does it get to hot? Here in OK, the summer is too hot to ride. We are in peak riding season. It will likely drop off for a few weeks and then the weather will be great. Lots of temperature and moisture variations this time of year.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
We're riding less at the moment, but that's mainly because of xmas & new year's & just doing other stuff (like family visits).

The club as a whole is doing more, as over winter we run a family day every second month, a harescramble & a two man race (last year it was only two rounds), so about 7 events from May-November. There's also an enduro in that time that the club puts on.

Our enduro season starts Februrary (about a four hour drive from here) and finishes about September. Four hour drives doesn't sound like much compared to over there, but it's different. I get more tired from being a passenger in a three hour drive here than I did in 8 or so hour drives over there - what's a straight road? Our main roads go through towns, so it's slow down, speed up, turn, go around that roundabout, now which way, oh let's find somewhere to stop & get some food etc etc. You don't get off the freeway & everything's there, you get off & have to find shops, unless you're driving through a town, then there might be something.

We also don't have "free riding", we apply to the forestry for permits to use the forests & have to work around other users (horses, mountain bikers, 4wds, runners, dog sledders & whoever else). There is a bike park where you can go whenever, but we went there just after xmas & didn't have any fun. There's also a couple of farms that are open for riding, but it's getting motivated to go down there to ride. Farmland rides are big here - a lot of them are charity rides, so the money goes to the community that allows us to use them (schools, rugby clubs etc). They're organised rides, so if you can't make the date it's on, tough.

As for temperatures, we're in a temperate climate, but being on an isthmus, it's damn humid - the other day was 25C (77F) but felt more like 35C. Then again, we don't get snow either, so it's definitely riding year round.
Michelle

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
There is a remote possibility that I could find myself in your neck of the woods. Not sure if it will happen but I sure hope that it does.
For the most part, I can ride most of the time but 35C plus temps in June, July, and August are just too brutal after a hard day at work. We have the high humidities as well. Then of course, throw in an occasional tornado and things can be unpredictable.
Thanks for the email. I left it up on the screen so the wife could read it. She asked if it was from my "girl friend" so naturally, I said "Yes". :laugh:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Brian, let us know with as much warning as you can if you're coming. That way we can make sure we have current passports & can quickly skip the country ;)

The closest I've been to a tornado is on the tv screen (actually, it's been closer, but they're more water spouts & not anywhere near as dangerous).

If you come over sometime between November-March/April, there's farmland rides. Winter there's mainly the forest rides (either sand, pumice or if lucky, clay). 35C - hmmm, doesn't get that hot here (some places it's close or even does reach it, just not Auckland).
But do let us know & we'll try to figure something out.
Michelle

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Apologies

Sorry I haven't posted anything to this thread to remind anyone subscribed to it when a ride's coming up - been busy.

Next Sunday is a trailride.

Unfortunately, there's bad news attached to this.
Carter Holt Harvey have put up their access fees by $10 per person, effectively immediately, nationwide (so we've been told). This affects everyone using the forests - horses, cyclists, hunters, dogs etc etc. I guess it doesn't quite mean everyone, as far as I know they don't charge runners & walkers ;)

Due to this, we have to increase our fees by $10. $30 for club members, $35 for non-club members, $20 for kids 15 & under.

Apologies for the increase & lack of notice, but CHH just threw this one at us - talk about a curveball :(
Michelle

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Just a reminder the last twilight ride's on tomorrow night (Friday 19th).
Only 2 more rides after this & it's back to the sandpit.
Enduro's on the 4th April & then the last trailride on the 18th.

Don't forget, if you're planning on going to Desert Storm this year, it's April not October this year (see either Nick's website or silverbullet).

Top Bottom