[B]how to get more mileage out of a kdx[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wholman

Mar 2, 2005
1985 kawasaki kdx 200 stock
do anybody know how to get more power but still get good mileage from a kdx I cover alot of ground with my bike, and i'm going broke with the price of fuel these days!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You are going broke putting gas in your dirtbike?
Suggestion: Pick a new hobby or ride less. This is not a sport for pinching pennies, maybe try basket weaving? ;)

And why try to Bold your post? FYI, there is no way to bold a post title.

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
Okiewan said:
You are going broke putting gas in your dirtbike?
Suggestion: Pick a new hobby or ride less. This is not a sport for pinching pennies, maybe try basket weaving? ;)

And why try to Bold your post? FYI, there is no way to bold a post title.

i am a newbee to this site but i sure can say that i may not be around on this site much longer due to comments like the one quoted above. i have seen so many unhelpful comments similar to this one that i am starting to shy away from this site (sad since there are a lot of very knowledgable people here willing to help) . these forums are supposed to be for people sharing info and experiences with others in an attempt to help each other. if any of the moderators are listening including OKIEWAN (from the looks of his heading he is "da boss" and should lead by example), comments like this that are a blatent disregard to others should be an automatic suspension for the author regardless of their rank on this site. better yet if you are a high ranking member on this site act as such. if you can't be helpful or say anything nice then DON'T POST!!!!!!!!!!! i always have to wonder if authors like this are the ones who are worthless in the real world but act like tough guys behind the safety of their computer.

to the original post, i just bought my kdx 2 weeks ago so i am not qualified yet to make a suggestion. however, the guys at ktmtalk.com and even thumpertalk.com have been very helpful even though my questions are kdx related (i have been asking questions at these sites since i have never received any rude comments at either site ). good luck in your search!

Last edited:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
very mature use of the language, jgbruny, well worded..
Okie is immune from the mods. Thou antagonistic and accurate, a little smatazz is funny sometimes. Perhaps it wasn't as vindictive as you first interpreted.

I don't think words like that deserve moderation, no matter who wrote it. Accurate advise usually prevails.

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
G. Gearloose said:
. Thou antagonistic and accurate, a little smatazz is funny sometimes. Perhaps it wasn't as vindictive as you first interpreted.

i agree 100% we all need to have a good laugh. however, if someone is going to take the time to post something funny at someone elses expense, then at the very least have the common courtesy to follow it up with a helpful and productive comment. we need to remember that we all share a common interest and that alone should be reason enough to be helpful to each other. what if the thread originator is a newbee to dirtbikes and decides that most dirtbikers are arrogant and leaves the sport. lets also suppose this person just happens to be a person that holds a public office job in a state that is on the fence for californicating and closing more ohv parks. what could happen here? i know this is highly improbable but my point is; treat people's legitimate questions with courtesy, especially the people that you don't personally know. you never know who is at the opposite end of the keyboard.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Anyway, you can get more mileage by changing your gearing and thereby losing performance in tough terrain. Two strokes are not generally good at making high mileage, they are good at making a lot of power from a small, light package at the expense of emissions and fuel economy. Sounds like you may have bought the wrong bike. You might want to look into something like a CRF150F, which by the way makes something like 11 whopping ponies, while weighing around the same as a KDX. On the other hand, you can still buy a lot of fuel for the $2800.00 that bike would cost.

Good Luck,
Mike.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Make sure the engine is in good working order, worn-out rings ect... will just let your gas out the pipe without making any power. Jetting is as mentioned above also important. Gearing can make the bike turn less RPM and use less gas per unit distance... but if you have any elevation changes were you ride or like to have fun riding, stick with what works best to over come these elevation changes. I'd say that rider throttle control and attitude has more to do with it then anything, no joke implied, but power or acceleration = fuel so if your right wrist in always pinned then you will not get good mileage.

PS... Okie is a good guy, he is just trying to liven it up a bit, but as with any written word, you can’t see the facial expression or context and it is easy to take it other then the way it was intended... keep coming back we have more answers and questions and yes some smart a$$ comments too ;)

See ya around.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
:p Jesus Christ. Some people have to lighten up. Like it was said, Dirt bikes are not for penny pinchers. Maybe make a mast n put a sail to it. **** you'll go forever on a windy day. I have found if I ride like a little school girl my MPG is much better, but the price we pay it is worth going BALLS TO THE WALL :yikes: :aj: Nothing for nothing thry leaning the bike if it seems to be burning more than you would expect. But check your plugs throughout the test range, don't want to toast your engine :laugh:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
:blah: :blah: :blah:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Keep your oil clean. You might get better mileage with synthetic, but you'll pay more. You have to weigh the costs there. Like they said, higher gearing, stay off the throttle (at least stay under 1/2 throttle). I never really see a big gain by going over 1/2 throttle anyway. You can usually run with 1/4 throttle if you're not racing. Keep your air filter clean. Keep your tires at 14or 15 lbs. pressure. Use skinny tires with less knobby. Jet the carb on the lean side. Put a bushing insert in the exit of the carb to reduce the inner diameter by 5 or 6mm. You'll lose a little high rpm power but gain a little low rpm power. If you're running at low rpm's to conserve fuel, that's where you want the power anyway. I actually made an insert out of gray pvc pipe fitting for my kx500. Used a dremel. Works great. I hear you on the gas prices! I just traded my 6 cyl. grand cherokee for a 4 cyl. cavalier! Should save me $100 / month on gas so I have more to spend on my dirtbikes!!!

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
:p :p nice try.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I hope some of the answers you received will help. I am going to close this one down.

Mully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom