[B]Question... Im a newbie on bikes[/B]

greenmonkey

Aug 22, 2004
Im looking to buy a bike for around $1000. I want a smaller lighter one that i can just whip around and dont have to be afraid of. Like a 80cc 2-stroke or mabey a 100 4-stroke
I would like a 2 stroke because of the raceing suspention and the low weight-high power ratio. But heres my question. My brother had a yz 80 a few years old and during the four years he has had it he has had to replace the piston twice. Another one of my freinds had an RM 80 and had to replace his once and neither of the two raced them in motocross.
Do 2-strokes wear out alot faster? I know they run at alot higher rpm but mabey its just because they were too rough on the bikes or put to much gas in the fuel mix although they were both semi-experienced riders. I weigh around 165 so i dont know if a small four-stoke like mabey a XR100 will have enough power. Ive been looking a TTR 125 since its got little more power. I also favor the smooth ride of a four-stroke and ive never really spent enought time on a 2-stroke to know anything about them.
I just want a bike thats reasonably fast on country roads (like mabey 45 or 50 mph) but powerful enough to climb hills.
I been atving the past years so i havent ridden bikes for awhile and i am seeking a more experienced opinion on which way to go.
i know ive posted this before but no one replies.
please feel free to email me

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Replacing the piston on a 2-stroke is normal maintanance. It does need to be done. IF you can find an 80 for around $1000 I say go for it. The 100-150cc 4-strokes are slow by comparison. But, I have a TTR-125 and I love it. It's bullet proof and is a blast to ride. Just not as fast as an 80.

greenmonkey

Aug 22, 2004
I see. How often, on average, do they need changed?
Also how much air can you get on a reguar small 4-stroke suspension (say a TTR-125 for example) without bottoming out too hard? Im not talking like motocross jumps, but 5 or 6 feet would be nice with out hiting hard.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
They need to be changed when they are worn out. There is no time limit or average. The only way to know is by checking the compresion on a regular basis.

"air"? like how high? It all depends on the jump. I personaly would not want to jump a TTR-125 6ft. in the air and land on flat ground. On the other hand I have jumped a step down that was about 15 ft. across and 10ft. down, but the landing was steep enough for the bike to handel it.
You will figure out how high you can jump your bike right after you learn to jump it! Good luck. YZ165

Top Bottom