Best Bike For Soon To Be 11 Year Old

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I have 3 sons ages 4, 8 and 10 that will all be riding with me this summer. My oldest will be coming off a XR70 and I would like to get him a bike that better matches his abilities. Im not sure if he will be racing but he would be practicing on a track and trail riding. He is 4'6 and about 65lbs. He complaines when he's jumping the XR that it hurts his back due to the lack of suspension. I was set on getting him a 65 but I wonder now if maybe an 80 or 85 would be the way to go. This would be his first bike with a clutch and I've heard the 65s have a pretty hard mid to top hit. Would a KX or RM 80/85 be any better for transitioning from the XR due to the slightly better low end? Other than the size how much of a difference is there between the 65 and 80s? I dont want to get him something thats going to scare him away from riding either.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
65 or 85 basically comes down to how tall he is, they are both going to be a big step up for him. Don't under estimate him though as most kids make the switch with little issue. Take him out somewhere wide open the first ride and give him plenty of chance to adjust to using the clutch without having to worry about hills etc and he should be fine.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I agree, it mostly depends on his size. My boy was 7-1/2 and I got him a KX85 to move up from a PW80. I had to lower the front and rear, but he's taken very well to the bike. And as he grows, I can raise the bike back up. But my boy at 7 was about 85 lbs.s and the tallest kid in his class.

IMO, get him a bike that he'll grow into. Because if he fits a 65 perfectly right now, next year he'll be bored with it.

One other thing. A KX85 will take a 100cc cylinder as a bolt on. It's just one more way for the bike to grow with your boy.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
How differently does the power come on between the 2 bikes. Im just curious if the 80 despite it being taller would be better to learn on because of the extra low end. Its been a long time since I've ridden an 80. What years were good for 2-4 year old KX/RM 80/85

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
get one with an exhaust power valve. That will help with low end. Change sprockets to gear it down will also help. A flywheel weight will help smooth out the powerband hit and produce smoother tractable power. 2 stroke mx bikes don't even compare to an xr70 but once the child gets familiar with the bike and if he is on the aggressive side, he will like it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My son went from PW50 to KTM 50 (that seemed the biggest jump to me) to XR80 to modded XR80 (95cc, hot cam...) to CR85 and is doing fine. He was hammering the XR even in it's tuned version so the CR was a necessary upgrade. He started on the CR when he was 4'-10" which was a bit of a reach but he's sprouted to 5'-2" in the past couple months so it's more properly sized now. I'd be a little leary about going from the XR70 auto clutch to a current 85 clutch bike just because it might be a big adjustment with the bigger bike, higher seat, more abrupt power AND learning to use the clutch. Then again maybe not.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
you may want to consider something like a xr100 or ttr125 until he really gets use the clutch thing. 4'-6" is awfully short for a mx type 85

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
As a kid back in the early 80's I went from an XR75 (Stock) to an '83 KX80. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the power. My father also ripped up the yard and told me that "this is the most powerful thing he has ever ridden so take it easy and get used to it slowly". I was extremely nervous to ride it the first time but soon it became my best friend and as many of you will remember We couldnt wait until school was out to go home and ride our bike.....
OK the point of this is get him something he can grow into and just scare the crap out of him with words before he rides it the first time. He will take it easy and slowly increase his speed with his ability. Kids are a little smarter than we give them credit. If he knows the basics of where the brakes are and is not afraid to use them he will be just fine......

Last edited:

W00TsP0P

Jan 18, 2005
stick with the 65 looks like you can just pass it down the line to the yunger ones as they grow.
XR70 to an 80-85cc 2 stroke is a huge step. the 65 would be a good clutch starter bike since your son has riding experience already. the 65 would have typically more suspension than the xr series.
then start looking for an 80-85cc after he gets used to/ out grows the 65 then you are all set till the youngest gets ready for the 65

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
mxracer2000 said:
I have 3 sons ages 4, 8 and 10 that will all be riding with me this summer. My oldest will be coming off a XR70 and I would like to get him a bike that better matches his abilities. Im not sure if he will be racing but he would be practicing on a track and trail riding. He is 4'6 and about 65lbs. He complaines when he's jumping the XR that it hurts his back due to the lack of suspension. I was set on getting him a 65 but I wonder now if maybe an 80 or 85 would be the way to go. This would be his first bike with a clutch and I've heard the 65s have a pretty hard mid to top hit. Would a KX or RM 80/85 be any better for transitioning from the XR due to the slightly better low end? Other than the size how much of a difference is there between the 65 and 80s? I dont want to get him something thats going to scare him away from riding either.

Sorry for my post, I overlooked the lack of clutch experience. The old XR75 had a clutch... That is one of the most important steps to riding. But I still think he will do just fine. He knows how to control the throttle and once that is in the mind you are good for life. Next step is learning when and how to release the clutch when listening to the engine. He will pick it up within 5 minutes......... :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually my son had plenty of clutch experience with the XR80 and he still had problems getting the CR to launch and once in a while still does because the power is completly different even though we have a 10oz flywheel weight it still frustrates him because it's like learning all over again but once he's moving it's easy sailing.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I don't think your going to find much of a difference in power delivery (hit) between the 65 or 85. My son went from a PW80 to a TT-R125L that we had for 2 weeks before he decided he wanted to race MX from there it was straight to a KX80. Again as long as he's not trying to learn to control the clutch in a pressure filled environment (lot's of friends around) I'm sure he'll do fine. Get him on whichever one fits him best, let him have a ride or two and we'll see you at one of the MMA beginner clinics!

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
Patman said:
Actually my son had plenty of clutch experience with the XR80 and he still had problems getting the CR to launch and once in a while still does because the power is completly different even though we have a 10oz flywheel weight it still frustrates him because it's like learning all over again but once he's moving it's easy sailing.

Patman,
I am not sure how this will work with your son, but my dad taught me (back in the late 70's) to pop the throttle once quickly and then as the engine revs down I would let out the clutch slowly and catch it with a second slow twist of the throttle (listening to the engine and trying to keep the sound the same). This kept me from spinning the engine up too much initially when I started out and also taught me to listen to the engine and understand when it liked to "hit".

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
As said before, I'm a firm believer in getting a bike for a youngster to grow into. Go to your local dealer and let him sit on a few bikes. He should be tippy-toe on the right bike. Try a 65, an 85, but also try the RM/KX100. Don't worry about a clutch, he will learn it in no time.

If your son is complaining about the lack of suspesion on his current bike, he will not be pleased with an XR/TTR. Although they are great trail/beginner bikes, they are heavy and lack terribly in the suspesion department.

Remember kids grow like weeds at his age. I started my 8 year old son on an XR100. He out grew out of it in a year. His next bike was a KX100. That's a great bike, it has a power valve and lots of suspension. It can putt around all day long and scream as he gets more skilled.

Good luck, Steve.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess my main concern was power delivery and if the 65 and 80/85 arent different then the only deciding factor will be size (and money). We'll head down to a dealership and see what fits best. It should be a fun summer chasing my youngest with training wheels, entertaining my 8 yr old on the XR50 or 70 and teaching the oldest how to use a clutch. Sounds like I wont be getting alot of seat time in for myself.

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
a kx100 for a 4'-6" 65 lb. youngster coming off of a clutchless xr70? Don't even think about it. Why not save even more money and just get him a kx500 :yikes: Seat ht on a kx100 is 34". He's not use to a clutch so naturally he's going to stall it. Then what? Is he suppose to balance the bike? Because his feet certainly aren't going to touch the ground. He's going to end up on his side with the bike on him, maybe hurt and definitely pissed. :pissed: There are good used minis out there and plus you've got two other younger boys coming along. You may be able to justify new. Why should the other two have to make such a jump in bike size and performance? Some people like to brag about how big a bike their kid is riding. And while some make out ok, they are the exception to the rule. You know your kid and his riding abilities better than anyone else. At his age, height, weight, and experience (xr70) I don't know why it should be such a competition to see how big of a bike he can possibly handle.

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
dirtpoor said:
a kx100 for a 4'-6" 65 lb. youngster coming off of a clutchless xr70? Don't even think about it. Why not save even more money and just get him a kx500 :yikes: Seat ht on a kx100 is 34". He's not use to a clutch so naturally he's going to stall it. Then what? Is he suppose to balance the bike? Because his feet certainly aren't going to touch the ground. He's going to end up on his side with the bike on him, maybe hurt and definitely pissed. :pissed: There are good used minis out there and plus you've got two other younger boys coming along. You may be able to justify new. Why should the other two have to make such a jump in bike size and performance? Some people like to brag about how big a bike their kid is riding. And while some make out ok, they are the exception to the rule. You know your kid and his riding abilities better than anyone else. At his age, height, weight, and experience (xr70) I don't know why it should be such a competition to see how big of a bike he can possibly handle.
Seriously,

Look at an 80cc bike. You may spend a few days running him down and putting him back on the seat but he will be more than happy to try and keep it on two wheels on his own just from the adrenaline rush.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
dirtpoor said:

In no way would I even consider for a second getting him a 100. He's obviously not ready for it. My main concern will always be for the boys safety but at the same time allowing them to grow and learn new skills and have fun while they're doing it. I'm not going to get them something that will scare the snot out of them so they'll never ride again. I realize the move from the XR to either a 65 or 80 will be a big one and thats why I'm here looking for input.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Dont worry much about the low end power. The little 80's dont have much. The Honda and Yamaha have almost none. I understand the Kawasaki KX 85 is a little bit more friendly to new people. After working on the Honda and Yamaha, I woudl give an edge to Yamaha. I am not too pleased with the Hoda CR 85 Cylinder.

Dont overlook the KX 65. The little bike is bulletproof (our 02 has been) and very fast.

I also feel that if you can get one of these small bikes to fit a kid for two years, your doing well. There is nothing quite as miserable as riding a bike too big for you because it has to last a long time.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Buy your boy what you want, but a 65 for an 11 yr old is a one season (if that) compromise. The upside to that is that your next boy will get the 65 in a year as you buy your then 12 yr old a 100.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Sean, I looked in the Trader today and there is a used KX65, I recognize the bike but not sure about the owners maintenance habits etc. There is also a few 85's in there some of which I am familiar with. If you find a bike that was raced locally here feel free to drop me an e-mail and I might be able to help you avoid the ones that I wouldn't sell a friend. Good Luck!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mxracer2000 said:
In no way would I even consider for a second getting him a 100. He's obviously not ready for it. My main concern will always be for the boys safety but at the same time allowing them to grow and learn new skills and have fun while they're doing it. I'm not going to get them something that will scare the snot out of them so they'll never ride again. I realize the move from the XR to either a 65 or 80 will be a big one and thats why I'm here looking for input.
:cool: Good for you! I just can't fathom the idea of throwing a kid on a bike that is half way up their chest because they will grow in to it. It is supposed to be about having fun but often seems to end up not about just having fun but bragging rights that you have your 4 year old riding a 85 and they will be able to ride that 125 by then end of the summer.

Top Bottom