danpluso

Jun 21, 2008
Hello, I am very interested in getting into dirt biking and have been for years, however I have never been able to afford a good quality Japaneses dirt bike so I am highly considering getting a Chinese dirt bike.. Now I have done a bit of research on them in the past and I know they are cheap and it can be hard to find parts and all that but I have been wanting a dirt bike for too long and I think I will just bite the bullet and dish out around $1,300 and get a Chinese bike. They way I see it anyways is, I am starting out so I would rather trash a $1,300 bike trying to learn then a $6,000 bike. So that being said, what is the best Chinese dirt bike?

I have been looking at these two on eBay:
Ebay Item #: 150261145186
and
Ebay Item #: 150260929094

The first bike (Giovanni) seems like it has better parts (like Inverted Showa front shocks) however top speed is 90km/h where as the second bike (Zongshen KTM-X250) has a top speed of 130km/h.

Which one do you think would be better?

And if you think I should get a Japaneses dirt bike please send me money to my paypal account cause I am sick and tired of waiting (Been wanting a dirt bike for over 10 years) till I have the money for a Japaneses bike. I am 20 years old now and don't want to wait till I get too old and sore to ride a dirt bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
danpluso said:
what is the best Chinese dirt bike?

The one that DOESN'T get purchased. ;)

You will be much better off trying to find a used XR or something similar in your price range, rather than dealing with the low lifes on ebay selling that no name junk. With a used Japanese bike you'll be able to purchase a service manual and replacement parts and learn the important lessons about maintenance, which are important if you plan on riding for real.

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
You can get a nice used bike for $1,300. I got my bike for $550 (its a little old) BUT it runs great and haven't had any major issues besides the rear shock and a minor shifting issue.

I wouldn't get a Chinese bike. You can get a nice XR250 or KDX200 for about $1000 to. Just look in the paper and on craigslist and ebay for bikes around you. And that used XR will be WAY better than the Chinese dirt bike. I watched a video of one of them and they were crazy slow.

look around here, you MAY find something close to you.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=136

dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
What these guys said! Chinese bikes are getting better but it will still be a longg time until they are of the same quality of the Jap bikes. Plus like others said, parts will be hard to come by. Buy a used 125 2 stroke for cheap 800-1500, nothing to old though because that will just be problems. Problems that you would be able to learn to fix but by the time you fix it you could have had a much better(newer) bike for the price. Good luck! :ride:

danpluso

Jun 21, 2008
There is actually a store near me (like 10 minute drive) that stocks parts for the Giovanni Chinese bikes.

Now looking through the bikes for sale on this site there are tons of good deals I would be interested in if I didn't live in a different country. I live in Canada and everything seems to be so much more expensive here. Someone from Virginia is selling a 2003 Honda XR250R for $1,800. I would snatch that up in a second if he lived close to me. However I have seen the same kind of bikes as that in my local paper for like $3,500. It is ridicules how expensive the bikes are here. I have a friend who rides dirt bikes and he is moving to Florida and he is always telling me how cheap the bikes are down there. I just really want a bike soon.

For example: There is an ad for a 1977 Honda XR250 near where I live and they are asking $1,500 for it.

I also found a 2002 Suzuki DRZ250 for $3,000, now I would rather take a 2003 CR250 for $1,800 any day.

Here are some more examples of local bikes for sale (Canada, BC).
-2002 Yamaha TTR-225 - $2000
-1999 yamaha XT 350 - $3300
-78 Yamaha DT 400 - $3000
-98 KTM 300 EXC - $3400
-1998 kawasaki kx 250 - $2000 (Now this one actually isn't too bad, but still compared to the 2003 XR250 for $1,800 from the USA)
-2003 YAMAHA WR 250 - $4000
-1977 Honda XR 250 - $1500 (Wow $300 more for the 2003 CR250 that is being sold in the forums from the USA)

So as you can see by those examples dirt bikes are stupid expensive here where I live.

I am not familiar with buying big items such as dirt bikes from the USA but I am sure Shipping would be super expensive (providing selling would want to ship it and I would never want to bike a bike with out first looking at it and starting it up), then taxes and brokerage fees, and probably duties and so on, so thats why I would like to buy locally but dirt bikes are so much here.

Last edited:

danpluso

Jun 21, 2008
I don't know I have always thought of them as smaller wussy bikes. I would be more interested in a CR or XR. I am about 5'8" and weigh around 230lbs so I don't want to get a bike with crappy suspension either. But for my first bike I guess it doesn't really matter. I would just rather have something more like a CRF or YZF with suspension better suited to jumping.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
For $900 it would be worth looking at. But remember the old saying: You get what you pay for.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
danpluso said:
I don't know I have always thought of them as smaller wussy bikes. I would be more interested in a CR or XR. I am about 5'8" and weigh around 230lbs so I don't want to get a bike with crappy suspension either. But for my first bike I guess it doesn't really matter. I would just rather have something more like a CRF or YZF with suspension better suited to jumping.
Yet you were looking at chinese bikes? Trust me, you're better off with the ttr. It will be a much more forgiving learners bike. It is actually more suited to your height as well. Like you said, why spend alot on a learners bike? Once you get the hang of it and start out riding the bike, sell it and step up. Just my .02. Which is like .01 canadian now. :nener:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
At 230 pounds, what ever you get is going to need stiffer springs. And if you go with a 250f you will need revalving also. You may get away with out the mods till you get used to it. But I sure would not be nailing no big jumps!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
If I see somebody on a TTR I peg them as a woods rider. If I see someone on a chinese bike I peg them as a wussy. :fft:

danpluso

Jun 21, 2008
All very good points.

I was just thinking if I am going to spend money on a TTR I might as well spend a bit more and get something better. Only reason why I was considering the Chinese bike is because I could afford to get one really soon and I wouldn't care about the thing and I would just trash it. Thats why I thought it would be good to learn on because I won't be afraid of wrecking it.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Forget the Chineses bikes! Yeah, they're cheap and they're everywhere and you can get one now, but I would bet that within probably the first hour of riding you will have type of failure. This trend will never stop. Have you priced parts for these bikes? I would be willing to bet they aren't any cheaper than the Jap bikes. Go with something like the TTR or a XR. These are bulletproof bikes. Yes they will need maintenace and neglect will cause issues. But if you take decent care of it, you should be able to sell it for something close to what you paid for it. That wouldn't happen with the Chinese bikes, they are usually only worth something to the guy who got screwed into buying one. Good Luck with your search.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Five years ago I paid $600 for a 1986 YZ-125 and it also included a helmet, boots and a chest protector.

I still have the bike but it is now the "spare". For just fun tides I will pick the 125 over the 250 so it still gets ridden a fair amount.

Over the years I have crashed a bunch and had to replace handlebars, levers, plastic, etc. I have rebuilt the top end, replaced the tires twice, chain & sprokets, brakes. Very few of the repairs were because the bike was "old". Most were either normal wear and tear or a result of a crash.

My riding group includes a bunch of families and we go out and camp in the desert for the weekend. There are a number of bikes as old as mine and they do fine.

One time a friend of a friend tagged along and he one of these cheap no-name bikes for his kid. What a piece of junk. It wasn't far into the weekend before that bike was sidelined due to some stupid part breaking. If that had been a Yamaha/Honda/etc. the bike shop 20 minutes away would have had the necessary part and the weekend would have been saved. Last I heard this bike was down for the count as no parts were available.

Everyone is telling you the same thing. Buy a decent used bike, don't buy the Chinese knock off.

Rod

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
yea i agree with dirtbikr99 your best bet will be a 125 2 stroke because trust me, i have a 110cc chinese bike and you can never find replacement parts it really sucks and the suspension is the worse you bottom out sooooo easily in trail riding not to mention MX....

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
danpluso said:
All very good points.

I was just thinking if I am going to spend money on a TTR I might as well spend a bit more and get something better. Only reason why I was considering the Chinese bike is because I could afford to get one really soon and I wouldn't care about the thing and I would just trash it. Thats why I thought it would be good to learn on because I won't be afraid of wrecking it.

it wont be the crashing that will break it normal riding will eventually yield a problem...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom