Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
With the weather in the dumps......need a poll.

IN tight terrain, to moderately open (NO desert 90 mph type stuff)
Trees, single track....rocks...whoops... all that good off road and a bit of play/HS thrown in....
If you could have just one (potatoe chips anyone?) and ANYONE?

What would be the best KTM out there?
Weight vs power....(too much power will hurt you in the tight stuff, and wears you out)
and of course.....
WHY?

HR
:cool:

Brett@TSI

Nov 15, 2001
I have a 2002 125 SX, 2001 250 MXC and a 2001 520 EXC. I like the 125 the best for tight woods or slower rough terrian. It has 200-250 type power and very light feel. Since I'm 200 lb range the suspension is setup great for me. I had to rejet the carb by going down one size on the main , pilot and needle adjusted to middle position. Completely different bike after rejet. It rips and you can ride for long periods without fatigue.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
125sx !
Nimble feel and rips.

ktmmudd

Sep 5, 2001
I have a 94 300 mxc, great in the tight stuff and can climb anything
climable. Plus it has the old-man power; ride all day in 3rd gear, excitement
is a twist of the throttle away.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have a new MXC 250 and I switched to a single taper needle and it made all the difference in the world. The bike chugs slow in the tight and nasty stuff and putts along when I am following the wife and kids on the trail, or rips with authority when I open it up. I ride almost exclusively woods and single track, never race, and my bike will go as slow or faster than I need to go.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
300 KTM.

If I could afford two new KTMs, I would have a 520 and a 200 in my garage. Since I don't have the means for two nice motorcycles, I own and ride an '01 300 MXC. It's the utility dirt bike of today. The motor has a lot of low-end and torque for plunking around conservatively in the woods, yet a blast of horsepower and pull is only a twist of the throttle or a stab of the clutch lever away at all times. Hill climbing, tight woods riding, off-road and hare scrambles racing are all handled admirably by the 300 and you can even get it on a motocross track and turn very respectable lap times as well. On top of everything else, it's just plain fun to ride.

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
I'm 50 years old and started riding dirtbikes 6 years ago after a 25 year layoff. I've been hare scambling for the past 4 years on a regular basis. Most of our Missouri terrain is tight, rocky, and slick, with occasional mud thrown in for good measure. I've had a husky 400wr, a KTM250sx set up for the woods and now a 99 200exc. The 200 is by far the best bike for me, and the only bike I've had any success with is the 200. It is as light and non-tireing as a 125, and has better low-end than my 250 had. My 99 with an FMF gnarley (stock silencer) will stay dead even with my buddies 01 300exc in a dragrace. Our local KTM dealer came to one round of our series with a brand new 02 200 and exclaimed how fast it was, and during the race, I parked my 99 on his rear fender ( on the approx 1 mile grass straight off the start ) untill I got by him in the 1st tight section( my specialty ). So I say b-4 you make a choice, at least try a 200. KTM's best in my opinion( Cycle World thought so too ) By the way after 3 years of riding the trail riders class, I won the championship this year in the 45+c class, my !st full year of racing the 200. Good luck with whatever you choose, you can't lose with KTM.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
380 all the way......

The 380 is the way to go. Its light, nimble, has plenty of torque for for the steep technical stuff and it will beat anything short of a 500 2-stroke from corner to corner. The 380 is one of only 2 bikes I would consider for my next.

HR - You having the E-start Husaberg blues? Im glad I didnt listen to my dealer. They tried to talk me into getting a FC470e. The guy who now owns that bike has a kick start only bike. They gave up tryinbg to get the E-start to work right and took it all off. It gets tiring trying to ride with your fingers crossed all the time doesnt it?;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For me, it would be a tough call between the 200exc and the 300exc, but I think I would go with the 200, because 200's are such a blast to ride in the woods.

BTW, if the 300 is well set up to smooth out the power, it is not tiring to ride in tight and rough terrain. IMO, the big factor in how tired the rider gets is the suspension.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Hey, 380: I have a '99 300 E/XC, and I love it. At times I have considered swapping for a 380, but I have been scared off by reports that the 380s vibrate more than the 300s. What's your opinion?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
JMD:

I am going to answer your question. I Know I am not 380excman. The 380 has gobs of power compared to the 300. 15%- 20% more HP. I you feel you are missing that, then go get a 380 they are awesome. I didn't think vibration was an issue on my 380.

Also 380excman is a BIG boy, and a great rider. He can handle as much power as anyone I know!:D

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Of course everyone thinks that the bike they have is the best. :D I ride a 300exc and love it. Once I got use to it and learned how to use the power (i.e. always start out in 2nd gear) it became the easiest bike to ride I've ever owned in the slick stuff. BUT, I would have to say the 520 would be my choice as the ultimate KTM. That thing is great. Light, electric start (great when you stall it on the side of a hill) engine braking, and just smooth tractable power. Kind of pricey though. Jumping off of a 300exc to the 520 it feels like you're cheating since it's so easy to ride. The 300 is just So Much Fun though!! :p

shifter

Nov 3, 2001
99 300 mxc

Another vote for the 99 300 mxc! I have owned a lot of bikes and a few other ktms, the 300 is far and away the best all around bike ever! Tight singletrack is a blast and almost keeps up with the psyco 500 guys in the dez.
IMO a tight pre owned 99 is the best deal out there.Having said that, if you got the beans get the 520!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Hey, 380: I have a '99 300 E/XC, and I love it. At times I have considered swapping for a 380, but I have been scared off by reports that the 380s vibrate more than the 300s. What's your opinion?

Thats a good question. The other day a guy asked me if my 550 vibrated, that he had heard they did. I said I have no Idea and that I had just came off a 2-stroke. But I will say that my 380's vibration never bothered me at all...

Also 380excman is a BIG boy, and a great rider. He can handle as much power as anyone I know!

Strick is right. A 380 for me is like a 250 for most guys. At 280 lbs I need all the extra ponies I can get. So that saying about how "anyone short of a factory pro guy could not use all the power availible" does not hold water with me. If all I rode was 250's I would be at a disadvantage. I don't make up for my flabbiness with finesse it all about Horse Power! :)

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
My vote would be the 200 because I think anyone can ride it and have fun on it be it man, woman or child. But I'm a lug and chugger so I have a 520. But it would be nice to have a 200 too.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
The thing is, I have a 200, which my son rides. I ride the 300. I'm thinking that if I sold the 300 and bought a 400, I could still get my two-stroke fix by riding the 200 from time to time. That way, I may be able to have the best of both worlds. Of course, the very best is to keep both the 200 and the 300 and just buy a 400.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i'm with rod...any of 'em, man! they've got so many displacements & models that it can be a little overwhelming. it just depends on what displacement you want & how many strokes you favor. if they don't make it, you don't need it (unless you want an 80 or a 250 4-stroke).

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I don't ride a KTM,although I have ridden all models,and am considering a purchase soon. For a 2 stroke I like the 300 best because you never wished you bought that model with a little extra power. For 4 stroke I lean to the 400EXC because it is so smooth.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
RetSenior, you are so right; I'm a butt-hole, I guess. But I really like pie. I've been thinking of getting an enclosed trailer, which would cost me about $4,000. And I've got a '94 300 E/XC I'm thinking of selling. If I keep my old open trailer and sell the '94, I just might swing a slightly used 400. Like a big slice of apple pie with melted cheddar cheese on top (the way my Dad used to eat it, which I have recently found is the exactly right way), it's very tempting.

Top Bottom