PeterWaldman

Jan 18, 2001
520 EXC is my vote to peg the fun meter, but I'm a four stroke fan. Was not always that way! Rode 2 strokes for 12 years, and was "anti-four stroke". Who would ever want to ride a heavy, under powered "TANK" in the woods? After hearing about the light weight, powerful 520 RFS with the magic button -had to have one. LOVE IT. But I'm 6'3" 245 lbs. and need the power to haul my @$$ around. I rode the 400 but it doesn't have the kick in the pants of the 520. I ride for FUN and the 520 does it for me.

ktmwes

Sep 23, 2000
I gotta vote for a 300, I'm on my third one, power any time anywhere, but the 400 is starting to keep my attention more and more! :D

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
200exc

I have to throw in a vote for the 200exc. Its light, nimble and can be made to chug. I'm sure it isn't a 300 when it comes to chugging, but then again I don't need a 300. I ride in tight singel track trails in central Illinois. It has plenty of power to pull me up virtually any hill I want to attempt (as long as I remember that I am on a two stroke) and it hasn't ever let me down in any way. Coming off of a WR400F, it took me awhile to get use to the two stroke snappiness and handling but I love it more and more the longer I have it. I can out run my buddies WR400 up until I hit 4th gear and then he passes me and pulls a way slightly. You know what? It's pretty hard to weave in and out of trees that are 40 inches apart while going wide open in 4th gear. It took me awhile to get decent at climbing knarly hills with this bike, but I am climbing every thing that I could climb on the 400 now. My buddy with the 400 (6'3, 225 #'s) took it for a spin the other day and he couldn't stop raving about it. He was amazed at the power and how easy it was to ride in the woods. He even liked it better on the MX track than his 400. If you want a bike that is very flickable, can go any where you want, can raise the front end easily but controllably and can be rode fast or slow with the proper set up, then the 200exc is a great choice.

By the way I have very little experience with other KTM's this is the first one that I've owned. I've rode a 300 and a 400sx but have limited saddle time on both. I rode the 400 about a month ago and felt at home on it instantly. It was a very nice ride but I'm sure that I would feel the extra weight in a tight harescramble. I am 5'8" and 170 #'s.

Neal

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I am over 220 lbs and I ride a 300 exc. All of my boys ride and i will buy them 200 exc or mxc models when they are ready to move up from the 80 and 100s they are on now. We ride the Missouri series which is just what you described and these bikes are perfect for those trails!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I think when someone chooses a KTM they are going to be OK regardless of what model.
My thoughts....
200 exc, the more aggresive of a rider you are, the better. This is not a "lazy" mans bike. Plenty of power for anyone up to 180lbs. Good handling better than expected stability. My bike of choice.

250 exc, incredably smooth power,and plenty of it. Slower turning than a 200 and a little heavier. Very stable. It will let you get away with a little sloppiness.

300exc, My brothers bike. Awesome low end. It will pull anything out of a corner,including your arms out of their sockets. Great desert bike and hillclimber. Great for big guys.

400exc; Very easy to ride. Minimal shifting,to the point it's almost boring. Smoooooth power. Feels light at speed but heavy when you slow way down. Handles well with proper suspension set up(forks). Plenty of power for most people.

400sx; Sweet ride. My favorite 4stroke. Thinner than a supermodel and almost as pretty! Snappier than the exc and noticeably lighter(no electric start). Starts sooooo easy it's unbelievable. No bogus Yamaha drill. I thought the power was great. I think this bike likes to be ridden aggresively also.

125sx; Fun as heck on a track. Amazing pull for a 125! Not my choice for trail riding, but super light weight. More work than most bigger bikes.

Those are the ones I've ridden on enough to form an opinion. 200e,250e, and 400sx all would work great for me.

soil tester

Dec 16, 2001
about hollister

I used to ride hollister hills when I lived down there in the 70's is it still the same? and what is the hair scramble race like? Do they run it around a long track or are they 25 mile laps like the other races? I was thinking of coming down to the next one they have.. any info would be great Thanks Marty..:D

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
eba00124453f00000013.jpg

Top Bottom