SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Can you guys recomend a long lasting silencer packing material. I have to drill out rivets to repack and then drive to my buddy's house have him button it back up. So I want it to last as long as possible! Thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On my bikes (two strokes), I have found the Malcolm Smith 'silent sport' stringy type packing lasts a long time. IMO, longer than the regular fiberglass insulation type packing.

However, it's best not to talk much about it, because someone who pulls Owens Corning R-30 from their attic is bound to lecture you about how much money you waste. ;)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by PortlandXR
Stainless steel scrubbers from the grocery store.

I've thought of trying that. How does the noise reduction compare to fiberglass?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL...choreboy.com

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have a friend in the construction business so i get all the housing insulation I could ever need. It may be a cheap replacement for the name brand stuff and not last as long, but it is free and works GREAT, and for me changing the stuff is less than a 30 minute job.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
In all seriousness, I normally use fiberglass wrap from the hardware store. I do, however on occasion buy the stuff that White Bros distributes. Not sure who makes it, but it's like the silent sport stuff. I can cut a new one in half and it fits the tube just perfect. A change with that stuff is very fast.
I'm still a miser, and use the cheapo stuff becasue I like to change often, but don't stand behind my bike whilst I'm revvin'...it may get a bit itchy! (for real cheapo firberglass WILL blow out the back some)

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Originally posted by SmokinRZ
I have to drill out rivets to repack and then drive to my buddy's house have him button it back up. So I want it to last as long as possible! Thanks!
I use house insulation after reading about it on here too, fast easy and cheap! so no help there ;) Just wondering why you re-rivet the silencer everytime? You should be able to use some self tapping screws or something so you don't have to drill out the rivets.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
I use the FMF four stroke Silencer packing. There only dfference between the four stroke and two stroke packing is the four stroke packing is woven more tightly. I guess its to resist blow out from the big thumpers and keep noise levels down.

Top Bottom