speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
I need to pick up a service manual for my 1991 KX 250 and am wondering who makes the best one? I have found factory manuals and also one from clymer. There might be more. Just curious which would be more detailed and complete. Thanks!

-Wes

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
C'mon guys :) everybody has been telling be to buy a service manual, buy a service manual... So I don't have to annoy you with how-to questions :) What do you guys have and what do you think of them?

I'd like to order one today. I have seen both the factory kawasaki book and also some aftermarket ones. I have heard the factory ones are vaugue and written for experienced, factory trained mechnics, but I have never seen one up close. I thought they might have specs and other info the clymer book wouldn't.

Any advice you have for me that would help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I love the Honda service manuals. I dont know if Kawasaki's are as good, but generally the factory service manuals are the best. Remember to get the service manual not the owners manual. It will probably run like 45 bucks or so. You can order it from a dealer or online like here...

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew...ketingID=137&ModelYear=1991&ModelCode=KX250H2

Here is the manual...
99924-1131-02 Service Manual KX125H1/250H1 34.95

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
If they are available, get the manufacturer's manual. Clymers are better than Haynes in my opinion, but neither are as good as factory manuals.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Factory books are the best.

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
I just ordered the factory Kawasaki book :) I had a 96 CR250 last year and the owners manual had more info in it than most service manuals. I never had the service manual for that one, but I can imagine it was excellent.

I hope the kawasaki is as good as the honda material I have seen. I paid more for it than the clymer version, but not much. 32.50 on e-bay shipped (new).

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it will be a good buy.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I bought both the factory and clymer manuals. The clymer cleared up some questions the factory manual left unanswered. It would seem the factory manual assumes a level of training that I didn't get in the back yard.

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
That is what I have heard abou the factory manuals. Hopefully it won't be the case with this one, but I won't know until I get it... :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Every factory manual for every vehicle I have owned (car, truck, tractor, bike...) has been very well written and detailed. I am not a professionally trained mechanic but I have never had any problem understanding what was required to do various tasks explained in the manuals. I suppose if you have zero mechanical aptitude any task might be difficult but in most instances if you look at the pictures and read the text a few times it can't be that difficult. Exploded diagrams are great things and if you find an area lacking you can always go to an online parts source and look at them to get a better idea of how the piece fit.

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
That's reassuring. I'm pretty mechanically able and relatively resourceful if I really want to do something. The manual should give me the specifics and any other details, I'm sure I can find as I need them. It should be fine.

-Wes

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Factory manuals are written for the professional mechanic. It is assumed that anyone using a factory manual already has a basic knowledge of mechanics. There are some things in a factory manual that are taken for granted that some backyard mechanics may not know.

Aftermarket manuals like Clymer manuals explain things in layman's terms and may be easier to understand for an untrained mechanic. Although, they do not go into near as much detail as a factory manual. A good example of this is a gearbox. A Clymer manual will show you an exploded view of your gearbox and may even give out some specs or sizes of related shims and bearings. A factory manual will give you all of the specs and sizes (Thickness, diameter, etc.) of each shim and washer and bearing. These measurements are very important when you have a gearbox scattered all over your workbench and don't know what shim goes where. :ohmy:

Like Patman said, if you take the time to look at the exploded views and read the manual, most people can figure it out even if you are not a professional mechanic.

Factory is the way to go IMO. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom