YZFlyer

Jan 14, 2001
Ok gang Ive got size 15 feet and with my tech 8's on they're like size 27's. My problem is with the gear shift and the back brake. Without trying too hard I have the ability to downshift and hit the back brake on the landing without even trying too. I am wondering about lengthening my shifter and adjusting my back brake down some. I also have a hard time upshifting with these big feet. And as for my long legs I try to squeeze with my knees ( it is getting a little better) they are taller than the shrouds I do try to squeeze with my ankles and this does seem to be better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe I should change my username to Bigfoot ;)

------------------
2000 KX 250
96 YZ 250
98 PW 80(son's)
98 KTM SR PRO 50z(son's)2

[This message has been edited by YZFlyer (edited 03-05-2001).]

Aug 4, 2000
I've got ya beet in the shoe size catagory (size 16) and I am 6'4..... Invest in a tall seat foam for your bike, Tag Cr HI bars, A moose steel shiftin lever and extend it, i run my brake pedal slightly lower than the foot peg, also get footpeg extensions and weld them on so your feet are more farther back....... hope that helps some what

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I have size 15 Hipoint Pro GPs... How new are your boots? I could not shift or brake for the life of me the first two times I rode... got them broken in and it all came togethor. Now that the leather is pliable, I can shift and brake easily, "with feeling"... Just for the thought.

Keltracer

Aug 27, 2000
Ride on the balls of your feet. That will prevent you from accidently hitting your levers. It will also give you some added control of your bike. Takes a while to get used to. Also, when you shift or use your rear brake, lift your entire leg off the peg to use the lever, rather than use the peg as a pivot for your foot. This will give you more control over your controls :).

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Riding on the balls of you feet is a good idea, I try to do it in the whoops. But as a novice MX'er I take enough hard landings that I stand on my instep, so I don't sprain my ankles every time I have a hard landing( I've done it ). .... I'm 6'4" 230 size 13 and because of my foot position, I've found I too hit the rear brake on hard landings. On my old YZ400F, I had bumped the shifter to the next gear on take off a few times...man did that cause some "interesting" launches on a Thumper!

I've thought about moving the levers but haven't done it. I play with bar and hand lever position all the time but never touch the foot levers. I think it is time!

Somebody have some tips on correct setup of foot controls?
Chris

YZFlyer

Jan 14, 2001
I raced for the first time this past Sunday and I didn't have much trouble with hitting the shifter and brake as I have in the past. I think it was because I made myself get on the balls of my feet. Thanks for all the help gang

bud

Jun 29, 1999
On several new bikes I've ridden, the footpeg-shifter distance has seemed extremely cramped. Even on the same model bikes as mine. That's because I moved my footpegs down and back. I did that by moving the spring from the bottom to the top, and cutting and welding what was necessary. It moved the pegs down and back 1/2-2/3". Doesn't sound like much, but the difference is very noticable. 2 benefits to doing this - it's free unlike a longer shifter, and it moves you down and back, making the whole bike seem roomier.

Top Bottom