Off-Topic Bike Recommendations.

800CX

Apr 24, 2020
Hi all. New member, of course. If y'all don't mind, I need some help on my first bike. Here's the rundown.

Height and Weight : 5’7, 165lbs, 15 Years Old.
How physical / aggressive? : Fairly aggressive. I love riding fast but, going slow doesn't bother me.
Type of Riding : Mostly MX tracks with my friends but might occasionally ride trails.
Riding Experience: On motorcycles, none. On quads, I ride a Sportsman 800 and a Rancher 350. (Sportsman for fun, Rancher for work)
Racing: Maybe but with my current situation, no.
Mechanically Inclined?: I do all my maintenance on my quads so I am willing to work on it. (unless a rebuild)
Brand and motor type choice?: More towards 2-Strokes just ‘cause if something goes wrong, it’s a cheap fix. No real brand preference.
Types of dealers near me?: There’s multiple dealers near me. Most of them carry KTM, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha.
Budget?: $2,500 tops. Money is strict for me with my job and other hobbies.
Extras: I’ve never ridden anything with a clutch so, I’d have to learn how to use it properly.

Any help is appreciated; thanks everyone for checking this out.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First, welcome to DRN :)
There are several mfg's that still make 2-strokes, of course the new ones will be at leat 2.5x your budget. Fortunately, there are a lot of older used bikes out there. Based on the info you provided and lack of experience on MX'ers, I'd suggest finding a clean 125. They are a BLAST to ride and will teach you a lot for when/if the time comes to move up to a 250.

Have you got anyone one that's knowledgeable about bikes? They are certainly easy to work on, but maybe someone could help when you are out looking for a used one. Having a mechanic look one over before purchase would be huge. In most cases you can expect some up front costs... a top end and smaller stuff like fork seals, cables, tires, all that stuff adds up so allow some room in your budget. Keep in mind, plastic (body parts) are cheap, focus more on the condition of the rest of the bike. You want to buy from an owner that can tell you more about the maintenance he performed that the bolt on bling he added. The closer to stock the bike is the better.

Keep in mind, if you go with an older bike, parts may be hard to come by. When you find one that you're interested in, go to a site like MotoSport.com: #1 in Dirt Bike, Motorcycle, ATV and UTV Parts, Accessories and Gear | MotoSport , and plug the bike info in to see what all they have available. I'd look for anything 2004 and newer. I happen to have seen a really nice 2006 Yamaha YZ125 recently that went within your budget.

IMG_1332.jpg

As far as brands go, buy the cleanest, best maintained bike and don't worry about what color it is. A new rider is a LONG way from noticing any differences in brands, model years. DO NOT be tempted by the off brands. Stay with the big names, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, etc. You'll also want to stay away from the trail bikes each brand offers.

Good luck! And again, welcome to DirtRider.

800CX

Apr 24, 2020
Thank you for the help. Also, yeah; I have a good friend that races in the 250 class and plans on helping me out with the whole situation. To me, that YZ looks in great shape. Once again, thank you all for the help.

Top Bottom