G22inSC

Jun 6, 2003
Quick question for everyone...when did everyone first put their children on a dirtbike? What age do you'll think is the right age or old enough? I know the exact point comes down to size, maturity, etc. I am just looking for a general "ballpark" figure.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As soon as they can ride a bicycle good and hold up a dirt bike they're good to go. My boys will be 5 in July and I think they're still a bit young. They do good on bicycles but were a bit short to hold up a pw last time we tried, which was last fall so they're probly big enough now. We'll see, maybe for thier birthday?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i put my nephews on a little 18volt crotch rocket with the plastic removed so it looked more like a dirtbike before they could even ride a bicycle

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I put my youngest on one s soon as he could ride his bicycle without training wheels.

One thing I found with 2 of mine was that if they got it too easy and too soon, they didn't value it as much....it was just something that always had. The oldest had to wait longer for one and has retained more interest.

Make it something they have to earn and it also becomes leverage if/when they misbehave.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I started at age 5 without training wheels.

My daughter started at age 5 with training wheels (last summer). Hopefully she'll get them off about mid-summer this year.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
I put my youngest on one s soon as he could ride his bicycle without training wheels.

One thing I found with 2 of mine was that if they got it too easy and too soon, they didn't value it as much....it was just something that always had. The oldest had to wait longer for one and has retained more interest.

Make it something they have to earn and it also becomes leverage if/when they misbehave.
:cool:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
My oldest was 6-1/2 the first time he rode a CRF50 that a friend of mine loaned me. He been riding his bicycle w/o training wheels since a week before his 5th b-day. Last year, for his 7th b-day I bought him his own CRF50 and he competed in a couple NETRA PeeWee Scrambles and in the Youth class at a NETA trials. He seems to enjoy trials more than racing, but really enjoys going trail riding with dad. Probably the most important lesson I've taught him is taking care of his gear and cleaning/maintaining his bike after we go riding.

His sister turned 6 in January, but she still has the training wheels on her bicycle so it will be a while before she can ride the 50. My youngest son is 4-1/2 and wants me to take the training wheels off his bicycle.

lit549

Jan 11, 2010
I just bought my 7yr old son his first this Christmas.(04-KTM-Pro Senior 50)Hes done pretty good,considering the bike I bought him.Hes such a big kid that It was really the perfect size for him.Ive since slowed it down by putting washer in header pipe. First three times he rode it,two of them he wrecked.And one was pretty bad,but that was my fault(kinda).But now,we have a system of rules worked out.And we trail ride all over--no problems so far,remember--hes 7,never rode dirtbikes,barely knows how to ride bicycle,,,and hes riding a ktm 50,lol..Proud of him..

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
4 years old...told him he could get a motorcycle as soon as he could ride his bicycle without training wheels. CRF50.....throttle governor is nice. started only in 1st gear...only enough throttle to keep the bike moving. Now he is almost 5 and 2nd gear half throttle....still not shifting it himself but can get around the pee wee track pretty well. Key thing is to make it fun and let them learn at their own pace! He keeps asking when he can race it and says he will "get the hole shot"...

Mar 18, 2006
9 and 10 for my kids and 16 for me (I had to buy my own). Early is good as long as you let them ride at their speed (as long as it is not too fast). And they need protective gear!!

The kids started on 2 strokes with clutches. Not a problem, although they did roast one clutch in the "back-up" bike. I bought 3 used ones, hoping to have at least 2 going at all times. Worked good, for the most part. :blah:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
first ride of her life, didnt even expect her to realize how to turn away from obstacles :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
whoops wrong file type :bang: got it with realplayer converter now :)

Attachments

• Video00502.wmv
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
High Lord Gomer said:
She didn't crash...you sure she's yours? :p

she has 3 tires on her rig :cool:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
...One thing I found with 2 of mine was that if they got it too easy and too soon, they didn't value it as much.....
Yup... my sons got they're first motorcyles before they knew they wanted one. They were 7 and 4 at the time and they've enjoyed riding every since, but since they never pined away for a bike, they really don't care whether they ride or not. If I suggest going riding they say "yeah sure." Otherwise there's no mention of it.

FNG

May 2, 2008
OldTimer said:
Yup... my sons got they're first motorcyles before they knew they wanted one. They were 7 and 4 at the time and they've enjoyed riding every since, but since they never pined away for a bike, they really don't care whether they ride or not. If I suggest going riding they say "yeah sure." Otherwise there's no mention of it.

I am in this boat as well with my soon to be 7yr old. I got him a kids Polaris 120 snowmobile when he was 3 going on 4 and a PW80 when he was 5 and he is indifferent to both. He is a tall kid, like his old man @ 6'4 so that is why I went with the 80. He towered over the 50.

He will ride with me and my wife if we initiate, otherwise they sit in the garage:( When I was a kid I would burned every drop of gas I could find if I had these.

Hopefully with age and confidence he starts wanting to ride the 80 more.

Top Bottom