Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
I broke the hydraulic clutch on my '03 sx200 a while ago by flipping bike up a steep hill. I pulled the master cylinder apart and welded up the bracket. I put it all back together and have tried to bleed it using 10 weight fork oil (which is what a bike magazine I've read recommends and is the same weight as ktm recommends) but it isnt bleeding properly. the clutch is only half working. I've tried bleeding it using a syringe and hose while opening bleeder nipple but oil doesnt seem to go up to master cylinder? the book recommends using a syringe and bleeding this way. I've also tried bleeding it like a brake with no luck.

the master cylinder isnt leaking either (eg from distorted bore from welding) and everything seems to be done up tight (was working great before I had to pull it apart to weld)

Any suggestions as to what my problem could be from someone who's bled one would be much appreciated

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
They bleed pretty much the same way as a brake master. Fill the resevoir up, put your finger over the hole for the hydro line, squeeze the lever to expell the air from the master. Re-connect the hydro line. Re-fill the master, crack open the bleeder on the slave cylinder, let gravity pull the fluid down to the slave cylinder. Once there is a steady flow of fluid, you can begin the normal bleeding process. If you still can't get pressure after that, you may have to get a re-build kit for the master as the piston cup may be damaged and not pumping as you squeeze the lever. I was always told to never use anything els but mineral oil in the clutch master. Don't let the master run out of fluid. Keep toping it up or you'll have to start all over.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
Thanks. I've tried to bleed it again and still no good. I've got a mate coming around tomorrow who has a lot more experience than me with bikes, hopefully we can sort it rather than replacing expensive parts that might not even be the problem.

May 10, 2007
on my bike (im not sure if its the same) i did the syringe way ( sending the fluid up to the master cylinder) and it worked fine though my bike's manual said to use a hyraulic mineral oil.

not sure if that helps at all.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
My manual says that too, but I can only get 15 weight hydraulic oil (which I tried too, but wanted the correct weight incase it made clutch heavier). I went to 2 local bike shops (no ktm dealers where I am) and both tried to sell me brake fluid for it. one tried to sell me gearbox oil too...
My mate has a bike mag that someone wrote in asking what to use and they said 10 weight fork oil works fine. It isn't synthetic, just plain hydraulic mineral oil.

Did you buy the genuine KTM syringe? it sounds like it screws in place of the bleeder nipple? I've been using hose and a hose clamp on it with bleeder open. I'll have another go tonight. It didnt seem to go all the way up to master cylinder though.

I think I might have to hone master cylinder bore which could have gone out of round from welding distortion and oil could possibly be bypassing it? got nothing to lose by having a go

Thanks for your help

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
I pulled the master cylinder apart and checked seals which were fine and put back together and managed to bleed it using syringe with no trouble for some reason I dont know why it wouldnt work before or if I somehow did something wrong. the clutch feels good but I'm not sure if it's worked properly or not yet because I've pulled the barrel off for a freshen up

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The 10wt fork oil will be fine in the clutch, and you can always use ATF of any flavor.

The only good way to bleed the clutch is using the syringe and pushing it in.
Although, you can buy a cow syringe from a farm supply store for about $3 and also get a short piece of nylon or polypropylene tubing (1/4") to fit over the end of the syringe.

The magura syringes, as well as their fluids, are highway robbery.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
I put the motor back together and the clutch is working fine now. I figured a mugura/ktm syringe would be a rip off too so got a cheap one for chainsaw premixing. You pay a lot for the KTM logo.

The bike goes real hard with the new wiseco in it. I was quite surprised how much difference it made

thanks for the help everyone

Top Bottom