Brand New to Off-roading/Dirtbiking.

hammer280

Jun 29, 2009
Trail Bikes

I have only ridden one dirtbike before and it WAS NOT begginer friendly, having no idea how to use a clutch I was using a RM 85 2-stroke Suzuki, so my friend bet me I couldn't go over the whoops. So knowing me I floored it and leaned back just a tad to put the weight on the back, BUT I had no idea it had that much power, so I popped a wheelie and clipped a tree and went flying.

So the main reason I'm posting this topic is because I'm a beginner and I was wondering what a good bike for me would be. I would not mind buying a bike and learning how to use a clutch. However, I'm in the 2k - 3.5k price range. :bang:

Last edited:

hammer280

Jun 29, 2009
PHYSICAL SIZE -
14 yrs old, 125 Ibs, 5' 9".

HOW PHYSICALLY AGGRESSIVE ARE YOU? -
Moderately aggressive once I learn how to ride well.

WHAT DO YOU PLANE TO RIDE? -
Woods tracks, with like little whoops and 20-30 footers.

DO YOU HAVE ANY RIDING EXPERIENCE? -
One time, ended up wrecking on a 85 RM 2-Stroke.

DO YOU THINK YOU'LL RACE? -
Maybe but unlikely

ARE YOU MECHANICALLY INCLINED? -
50/50 but have a inclined friend who loves working on them.

DO YOU HAVE A PREFERENCE TO BRAND AND MOTOR CHOICE? -
Kawasaki or Suzuki, don't have a preference on the 2-4 Stroke.

DO YOU HAVE A DEALER CLOSE BY, IF SO WHAT BRANDS DOES HE CARRY? -
Yes, 2 actually. 1: SUZUKI AND KAWASAKI, and think we have a yamaha dealer somewhere close.

HOW MUCH $ DO YOU PLAN ON SPENDING ON A BIKE? -
I have to save up quite a bit so under 3,500$.

DO YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA? -
No...why?

YOUR AGE?
14 years :)

:Þ Thanks in advance!

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
well usually on this forum the answer is a 125 ts, but here i would recomend an 85 2 stroke...just spend some time ridding, and then it wont be so scary

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
05, 06 Honda 250X, or WR250 Yamaha. Good smooth beginner trail bikes that should be in your price range. You are already tall enough for them. 2 strokes can be difficult for the woods if your a beginner. You might outgrow the 85 quickly.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If you want to go small, look for a 100cc MX bike. They have better low end grunt and larger wheels than the 85s. I'm 5'9 and I feel a little cramped on the 85/100 chassis but the power is definitely enough to get you started. You might even look for a Honda CR150R. The power delivery would be less abrupt but the maintenance schedule is more demanding. My boy's KX100 hasn't needed a top end in 3 years. The only thing I do is clean the filter, change oil and chains.

A larger bike to try could be a KDX. You'd probably fit it pretty well and the power delivery won't scare you to death.

Top Bottom