Bultaco ideas

weimedog

Damn Yankees
I am building an old 1974 Bultaco Frontera. Its in good shape and tons of fun to ride. I put a twin plug ignition system from a 1978 Pursang in this bike and haven't fowled a plug since. Has anyone ever trimmed down a flywheel to increase throttle response? After running the new stuff that heavy flywheel effect is hard to get used to.

I have a couple of extra fly wheels...

Think it would work?

smb_racing

Master of None
I'm not so sure about trimming down the flywheel, but no matter what you do it'll never rev as quickly as a newer bike, you could polish the ports on it and that would gain you some, perhaps repacking the silencer or try an updated exhaust system from vintage iron.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (bored 40 over, FMF pipe, A-Loop suspension)

pursang262

Subscriber
What size primary drive weight do you have ?
The primary drive sprocket on the right side of the crank is available in a few different sizes. Usually the Pursangs have smaller ones and the weights on the trials bikes are huge.It's a cheaper part to throw in a lathe and experiment with than an ignition rotor.
Also since the crank tapers are all the same you can put the internal rotor ignition off a 125 Pursang on the bigger motors if you want really snappy response. I use my 370 Pursang for hillclimbing and I run the 125 ignition with dual plugs and the small primary weight and it responds instantly.
The downside is its much easier to stall.

weimedog

Damn Yankees
You know I didn't even look on my pursang motor.....! (Red Faced) I have a bunch of weights for Alpina's and stuff. I didn't take that side cover off the 1978 Pursang motor I pulled the ignition from. Thanks for the tip!

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
Weimedog, seems to me you should first talk to someone at Hugh's Bultaco or one of the other Thumbs-up specialty shops. They can tell you exactly what needs doing and have the parts to make it happen. If you need a phone # or web site link, let me know. Still, the ol' Frontera was never a snappy motor as I recall. It was a grunty motor and actually quite competent as an enduro bike, once you took care of the minor nits and Spanish pot-metal (sorry) build quality.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff