Kibii

Jun 2, 2018
I’m 17 (soon 18) years old girl. I’m 5’7” and 127lbs. I want to buy KTM, I’m thinking SX 85. Not sure if that bike is too small for me? Should I go with SX 125?

I have some experience with riding dirt bikes. I rode a Chinese brand dirt bike when I was like 13-14. I want a better bike now.

Thanks in advance!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What was the Chinese bike ( cc's ) , 2-stroke or 4? If it was the typical chinese 4-stroke trail/play bike, either of the bikes you mention will be MUCH faster as well as better suspended, better handling, etc. It's a whole 'nother world as they say.

It really just depends on what your goals are... the 85 could be a good choice if you are out there just to have some fun. You didn't say where you ride (MX, Woods, open fields, etc)? The 85 will move someone your size pretty well, but clearly the 125 will grow with you as you improve / get more aggressive.

The seat height will be more comfortable for a newish rider on the 85, at 5-7" you won't be able to flat-foot the 125, but that happens to be the just about the average height of pro MX'ers ... so it's not like something you can't get used to.

With some answers to the questions above, we'll be able to make a more educated suggestion.

Kibii

Jun 2, 2018
What was the Chinese bike ( cc's ) , 2-stroke or 4? If it was the typical chinese 4-stroke trail/play bike, either of the bikes you mention will be MUCH faster as well as better suspended, better handling, etc. It's a whole 'nother world as they say.

It really just depends on what your goals are... the 85 could be a good choice if you are out there just to have some fun. You didn't say where you ride (MX, Woods, open fields, etc)? The 85 will move someone your size pretty well, but clearly the 125 will grow with you as you improve / get more aggressive.

The seat height will be more comfortable for a newish rider on the 85, at 5-7" you won't be able to flat-foot the 125, but that happens to be the just about the average height of pro MX'ers ... so it's not like something you can't get used to.

With some answers to the questions above, we'll be able to make a more educated suggestion.

Can’t really remember what bike it was. It was definitely a 2-stroke, and 50cc (Not sure 100%).

I would ride mainly in woods and trails, maybe mx tracks few times. I don’t plan on entering any competitions or anything like that. Just for fun.

Actually my main problem is that I don’t know if 85 is too small for me? I can’t try it because there’s no shop near me that has KTM’s. I guess then 85 is the one?

This will probably sound stupid, but I measured seat height of 85sx on my bicycle, and I was on my toes when I sat on it. Guess 85 will lower more when I sit because of suspension?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The 85 has a seat height of 34" The 125 = 38"

Yes, the rear (mostly) will lower some, it's called sag. In short, how much it drops in the back affects how well it turns. You can't "loosen" the suspension to make it easier to sit on, or to make it feel softer or more plush. We (old schoolers) would call it a "chopper" when the rear was set too low, because the bike wouldn't turn very well.

Also keep in mind that the motorcycle is a lot wider than your bicycle, that also affects how high it "sits". Tip-toes is no big deal, I'd guess that MOST riders of modern dirt bikes are on their toes.

I sure can't tell you the "85 is the right bike", but I can tell you that for someone with your amount of experience and stature, you'll be more comfortable on the 85. A lot of new riders are really put-off by how tall MX bikes are. As for power? It'll be awhile before you get tired of it (if ever). Comparing it to what you rode before is like the difference between a peddle-car and a Ferrari.

You really need to find a way to sit on both before buying something.

Best of luck and welcome to DRN.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Both the SX85 and the SX125 have much too aggressive power for your level of experience and the type of riding your are talking about. If you are set on getting a KTM then take a look at the 250 Freeride.

https://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride-250-f/Overview

The power delivery, suspension, chassis geometry and seat height are better suited to what you are describing. Plus it will just be a much more fun bike to ride. Beta makes a few bikes that are right in the wheelhouse of what you are describing as well.

The 125 RR two-stroke
125 RR 2 stroke | Beta USA

and the 125 RR-S four-stroke
125 RR-S | Beta USA

I own a KTM and a Beta and both are excellent companies building great motorcycles.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Freeride is one of the coolest trail bikes ever produced. There are probably still some leftover 2017 versions of the Freeride and that one was a 250 two-stroke with a super mellow powerband. Fantastic bike with a low seat height and it's super light.

Top Bottom