buying a kdx need some advise

Johnboy

Dec 16, 1999
Hi guys I have an 83 kdx200 and ride it a lot out here in Colorado. I do drastic elevation changes and have found the bike to be rock solid reliable. Now I've decided I want something newer with better suspension and more ponies so I have few questions:
1. what is a good year? I'm looking to spend around $2500-2800 preferably on the lower end (college student = poor)
2. how good and reliable are inverted forks and what years came with them? Are they heavy on maintenance?
3. Will a newer kdx do a 3000-5000 ft elevation change w/o needing to be rejetted?
4.How much low end torque will a newer bike have over my stock '83? (assuming it is also stock)
5.How much of a power increase would I get from a late model KDX compared to my 83? (The 83 seems almost perfect when it comes to low end power for climing hills slowly)
6. Since I ride the rockies and torque is the best thing in the world, should I look for a kdx 220?
7.How reliable are the newer kdx's? Are the radiators leak prone?

Thanks a lot guys I hope you can help me out.

------------------

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
1. You can find a three or four year old KDX in that price range easily. Any KDX new enough to have the perimeter frame is an excellent bike.

2. I think the only year the KDX had inverted forks was '91. They are no different in maintenance, but are not as plush as the conventionals. Most riders have to at least change spring rates in their KDX's.

3. All KDX's need rejetted, they are way too rich from the factory. No bike will do 5000' elevation changes without rejetting and still run properly at all elevations, but if you find a happy medium, the KDX will perform adequately without giving trouble.

4. Much better. Power valves have made a huge difference in the power spread of two-strokes. A 220 is very strong on bottom stock, but a 200 with the right mods can probably outperform a 220.

5. It will have more power, I couldn't say how much more. The friendly nature of the engine is much better, due to the powervalves and water cooling allowing not only an increase in peak power, but an increase in the breadth of power, and much-improved response.

6. That is a matter of preference. I would choose a 200 and install a torque pipe, because it will pull longer and rev higher than a 220, with nearly as much torque. Others will choose the 220 with a rev pipe. I like the 200 better because it has more hop-up potential than the 220, but that may not matter to you.

7. They are the among the most reliable two-strokes you can buy. Many people get a year or more out of a top-end, I hear of people getting two or more years. The 220 has a few problems the 200 doesn't have, such as isolated piston skirt failures. I have not heard of radiator problems, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If it is a problem, I'm sure someone here will say so.

This is only my opinion, and will differ from others, but I think the 200 is the better of the twins.

Hope this helps. ;)

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

[This message has been edited by spanky250 (edited 04-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by spanky250 (edited 04-05-2001).]

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I bought a '00 200 last year and took it up to about 3000' on one ride last summer. My bike is stock and I live at sea level but it ran fine at 3000'. It did produce more smoke and the throttle response wasn't as crisp but then I didn't take the time to rejet. If you like your '83 KDX then you will love a newer KDX.

My first dirt bike was an '85 IT 200 and I really liked it. I then went to YZ's, XR's, WR's and finally bought the KDX. I wish I would have just stayed with the 200 class along because it is the type of motorcycle I feel the most comfortable on. Nice thing is if you pick up a '95 KDX it will be the same as the '01s.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by spanky250:

2. I think the only year the KDX had inverted forks was '91. They are no different in maintenance, but are not as plush as the conventionals. Most riders have to at least change spring rates in their KDX's.

Inverted forks came on KDXs in 93 & 94. 1991 had conventional forks (KDX 200)

Johnboy

Dec 16, 1999
Another question: My neighbor rides a new xr400 that is largely stock may get a few upgrades some day. How well could a 95 kdx keep up with him(suspension and power)? Just for a comparison - I can almost hold my own against him on my 83 kdx200 in a drag and he sucks my exhaust on the trail!

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
Sounds to me like the rider is the biggest factor. That said, a '95 or newer KDX will be more competitive.

------------------
'00 KDX 200

Top Bottom