kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hello All,

I have a KDX250SR (F2 model - 1992, I think) which has a peculiar feature (peculiar to me anyway).

The transmission drain hole is on the right side of the engine (when sitting on the bike), but about 1.5 to 2 inches toward the front of the drain hole is a small (3/16") "D" shaped hole. The "D" is right on the line where the engine cases meet, but the "hole" is on the left engine case.

It will drip transmission oil when the bike is sitting upright, but not when it's on the side stand. Bike leans to the side where the hole is.

I just got back to the Philippines two days ago but while I was in the US, I bought some JB Weld with the idea that I would put a patch over the "hole". But just before I was about to do it, I looked at the hole again and was amazed at how "perfect" it was... almost like it's supposed to be there!

I decided to leave it for now and ask my fellow KDXers (250SR model owners) to look under their KDX250SRs and tell me if they have this hole on their bikes.

As I said, I can't imagine it is supposed to be there, but it looks too perfect to be impact damage! I'm wondering if this is showing me another problem (leaking internal seals) or not.

My US version KDX250 certainly has no hole! So KDX250SR owners PLEASE take a couple minutes to check out your bikes and reply to this inquiry!

Thanks.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but maybe you're the only member with one of those guys. I tried to find info on this for you, but finding info on the SR is hard (especially if you don't read Japanese).

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
KnoxKDX - I know I'm not the only one... I've given lots of advice to other KDX250SR owners on here...

Jaguar - I don't think there would be a transmission overflow on the BOTTOM of the engine!! It does have the regular case "breather" on the top of the motor...

Thanks for your input...

jaredr

May 10, 2003
I have a '94 250SR (Japanese version). The bike isn't here where I can look at it but I'm pretty sure there isn't a "D" shaped hole in bottom of the case. I'll check for sure later today and confirm this for you.

jaredr

May 10, 2003
There is a small "D" shaped hole (about 4 mm in diameter). Mine is completely dry, no oil in or around it. My *guess* is that it could be used to pry the cases apart. Maybe a KX250 owner from the MX forum could tell you what it's for?!

You've got your priorities straight. Take care.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hi jaredr,

Thanks for checking for me! I wonder if the fact that I have oil leaking out of mine is an indicator that there are internal bearings/seals leaking? UGH!

How did you get an SR in Nebraska? Was it imported for you? Do you have yours street legal? I always thought it would be cool to have the SR back in the US as a street legal dual sport bike.

Have you had any trouble finding parts for it? Specifically engine parts. I found out the hard way that a US KDX250 piston will not work... wrist pin location is different.

Stay in touch.

Jim

cmattos

Feb 11, 2002
KDX250SR owners. I had one of these imported into the US (California of all places) about 2 years ago and it's a great bike. I went through a shop in Australia to get a set of english manuals. You have to buy 2 manuals. The KDX250 manual and the KDX250SR supplement manual. I got both manuals (Factory Kawasaki) with shipping to the States for about $78 US dollars. Also, I saw in an earlier posting somebody asking about putting an FMF or other aftermarket pipe on the SR. There's no problem and they work awesome. Bscause the standard SR pipe has a bolted flange (instead of a typical spring flange like state side version have) I bought a piece of 1/4 inch flat aluminum stock, cut it in the shape of the flange on the original SR pipe, but left a little extra around the edges. After mounting the FMF pipe on my bike (with the aluminum flange bolted up to the head) I drilled small holes where the pipe springs seemed to have the right amount of tension and hooked the springs through the small drilled holes. It's worked fantastic and I've never lost a spring. Moving to an aftermarket pipe is only way to allow the engine to breath the way it should. And btw, it RIPS. It smokes my modified DRZ400E...

ukkdxrider

Apr 26, 2006
hi i have a 250 sr not seen if it has this hole but i have had engines apart before and seen this hole on other 2 stroke engines its under the crank case rather than the transmission the engine cases seal inner of this erea leaving a gap inside inbetween sealed case and external of case if the casings have been apart before and not that well sealed back up you could get a leak in this erea i dont think crank seals could cause a leak here try smelling the oil to determin weather 2 stroke or gear oil ,if the leaks not too bad i wouldnt worry

Simon's KDX

Mar 14, 2007
I have a 91 KDX250SR that was imported into New Zealand. Am keen to fit an aftermarket pipe to this model. Has anyone done this and what pipe have you used. Also, what carb rejetting was required?

Bertus08

May 19, 2020
I have a '94 250SR (Japanese version). The bike isn't here where I can look at it but I'm pretty sure there isn't a "D" shaped hole in bottom of the case. I'll check for sure later today and confirm this for you.
ANY HELP ON PISTON DIMENSIONS LIKE CROWN HIGHT AND GUDGEN PIN SIZE

Top Bottom