SteveRides

May 28, 2012
Hey, I have a Suzuki DRZ 125L and i just got it out for the season yesterday. I was riding around my yard to test it out and it seemed to be running great until a sputter, then it stalled. I was able to get the bike started again, but soon after i did, the bike would stall again. I'm having no issues getting it started, just keeping it running. I also don't know a ton about dirt bikes but i want to try and fix it myself before i take it to a mechanic. Any help??

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I'd have a look into the carb, the petcock and the tank valve.
Carb cleaning, start with float height, petcock take the tube off and open it to see if you get continious flow and tank valve once it died open the tank cap, if you hear a sucking sound well that could be your problem.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Clean your pilot jet. It's the smallest jet in your carb and it sits next to the main jet. It's not uncommon for a bike that has been sitting for a while to have the pilot jet clogged. If the bike runs with the choke on but not with the choke off, it's a clogged pilot jet.

SteveRides

May 28, 2012
ok thanks for the help, but im new to dirt biking so im not exactly sure what a "jet" or a "petcock" is. And also another funny thing is that the choke, when i put it down, springs back up.. I have to use a tie to keep it down so i can start it. Im not sure if that means anything or not

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SteveRides said:
ok thanks for the help, but im new to dirt biking so im not exactly sure what a "jet" or a "petcock" is.

1. Purchase a service manual for your bike.
2. Read the service manual.
3. Read it again.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
A petcock is the tank valve you have to open when you going to ride the bike and the jets are the parts of the carb. Main jet is the smaller one and the pilot jet the bigger.

A manual is want you need first Ol'89r is right. +1

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
arnego2 said:
Main jet is the smaller one and the pilot jet the bigger.

No offense but, the main jet is the larger jet that protrudes into the float bowl. The pilot jet is one of the smallest jets and usually sits down in a orifice next to the main jet. If you are going to give advice in this forum please give correct advice. Thank you.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
None taken, :)

I referred to its actual physical size, not the diameter of the jet itself. I did that as the thread starter seems to have little knowledge of the carb or engine so maybe a physical size indication could be more helpful that the technical one.

I have a few mains here, I ride YZ250 so it will be keihin jets. If the DRZ carb is different and those jets are different in size too I apologize for the confusion caused.

Top Bottom