MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
i need to know what to do when i jump? i tought my self on my old '79YZ125 but this new '98cr125 is SO different. i cant get the back wheel to hit and i fly way off my foot pegs. can any one please help. thanks

Kawasaki100

Jul 15, 2000
if you want your back wheel to hit the ground slightly before your front one just lean back some as you go off a jump and keep the throttle down a little bit,or tap the rear brake in the air

also it could be the little "kickers" on a jump that make you fly off your pegs.The best way to hlod on is squeeze the bike tightly with your knees as you come up the face of the jump and you shouldnt come off the foot pegs.

WRONG WAY TO TAKE A JUMP...

Just this morning i did a superman except i was hanging onto the handlebars not the back fender and the landing wasnt very soft...
there is a very mild turn in front of my all time favorite jump,and i just adjust the carburater earlier and when i went around that turn my bike pick up speed cause i never fastend my throttle cable to the top of the carburator very good and the throttle stuck and i got about 15 feet up and about 30 feet out and landed it,slammed on the rear and front brakes and then hit the kill switch and immediatly fixed it.

------------------
My bike (a 2 stroke,1974 Kawasaki G5 100 street/trail,nicknamed "Green Hornet") can survive anything u put it through!

Kawasaki100

Jul 15, 2000
then lean forward,head over the handle bars,and if the back end is still coming down,let off the gas in the air,and tap the front brake.

------------------
My bike (a 2 stroke,1974 Kawasaki G5 100 street/trail,nicknamed "Green Hornet") can survive anything u put it through!

GeorgiaBoy

Jun 12, 2000
Should your front or rear tire hit the ground first? I think there are some conditions which will determin which should hit first. I ride mostly Supercross tracks and it is better FOR ME if my front wheel hits before my back. I have much better control of my bike because all jumps are double type jumps with landings.

IF your riding motocross type tracks and the jumps dont have a landing area, it may be better for your back wheel to land before your front and apply power just before your back tire hits the ground. This will help with acceleration after landing.

Supercross type jumps seem to be a little easier to recover from if you land with the bike parallel to the landing of the jump. Most of the time, that means front tire first.

------------------
2000 Suzuki RM250

Kawasaki100

Jul 15, 2000
well it all depends on who u talk to.
some say its better to have the back tire slightly lower for better take-off's after a jump.
and some people say that it is better for the front tire to hit first for more control as u land.

but there are cons to both landings:

-if the back tire goes to far down and hit at a good speed,the front end will be slapped down and you might loose control over the bike.

-if you get some big air,and you have the front tire pointing down slightly,the impact could blow out the seal and fork oil right out of your front shocks.(i have blown up 2 front shocks so far).

so take the jumps and land how ever you feel comfortable with.

------------------

philb

Oct 28, 1999
you can also control the jumps by adjusting the powerband on your bike . there is usually a screw at the rear of your cylinder that you use to tighten the bands.
on a 2 stroke,1974 Kawasaki G5 100 street/trail, there may be 2 screws.
philb

[This message has been edited by philb (edited 07-21-2000).]

RABID ROB

May 26, 2000
Like Philb said, it is some very powerful (Industrial strength) rubber bands just past the reed cage. These rubber bands help force the fuel into the cylinder, so the tighter the tension the more fuel it forces in. It's kind of like those toy airplanes. You know, the ones you twist the propeller with your finger. ;)

philb

Oct 28, 1999
(hanging head sheepishly)
sorry dude... hopefully you'll find some help with your jumping. to explain what the powerband is... in general terms every motor has what is called a powerband. it is not a mysterious mechanism bolted inside your engine. the range of horsepower that your motor produces at a specific rpm curve is the powerband.
i'm sure that you will find better answers to both of these and any other questions as you continue to associate here.
philb

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
You guys scare me :D . Hey Kawi100, you won't be riding too long if you are tapping the front break in the air... that is a rookie recommendation.

MoO Cow.. Take time to get the feeling and timing of jumping down. If the rear keeps coming up try slowing the rebound in the rear shock.

mx rider28

May 4, 2000
In that case, if the rear wheel keeps coming up, pull up on the bars once you go off the lip of a jump. You've got to work the bike. Try it on a smaller jump first until you get the timing right. If you pull up on the bars and the rear wheel still comes up, then your suspension could be set wrong.

------------------
Troy Duhe
Duhe Racing/Kawasaki
www.mxcentral.net

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
well i dont know what happend but it did. i can jump now :) it just happend...i dont know how or why but it did and im happy. i found i like to land on my back tire. im still testing around a bit but now i can jump like i did on my old bike and i dont fly off ;)
thanks for the help....well atleast some of you :P

RABID ROB

May 26, 2000
Philb, you sucked me right in. But I couldn't help but laugh about what you said about Mr. 100cc's cycle.

MoO coW, Hang in there. Just keep practicing. The more time you spend on your bike the better you get. Also, you might want to get your suspension tuned in for your size and ability. It will make all of the differance in the world... Good luck to you. :D

Kawi 100, how often do you TAP your front break? When your doing a Superman, Nac-Nac, or an Indian Air? :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Zookster250 (edited 07-24-2000).]

kawi72

May 22, 2000
Some good tips to remember while in the air:

tapping the rear brake will bring your front end down (pull in the clutch to avoid stalling the motor)

giving the motor a little gas will bring the front end up (not too much)

if you are having trouble keeping your front end up you are most likely letting off the gas before you hit the jump (this is called a Big Shafft) give it a little throttle at the top or hold it on all the way off. Be careful and practice slow at first until you become more compfortable.

------------------
Kawi72

99 KX250

Top Bottom