Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What is meant by the following statement:

"Driving is a privilege"

I don't understand how that can be true. Discuss.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
There's nothing in the constitution that gives you the right to drive; there are only laws that give you the privilege if you manage to jump through the proper hoops to obtain the license that grants said privilege.

Or, to put it another way, I don't have to pay anyone to own a gun (at least here in Idaho), but I do have to pay a fee to drive a car.

That's how I figure, anyhow.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Driving is not a privilege anymore than walking is.

Driving on public roads is a privilege given to you in terms of your drivers license as long as you agree to meet certain criteria (pass the test, pay taxes, etc.) just as walking in certain areas is a privilege. You may be able to walk but you can't cross the street a certain way (jaywalking) nor can you drive the freeway without proper equipment.

In all reality, it is all bs designed to grab money from your wallet in terms of taxes.

Ivan

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Think of it like entering a motocross. You can ride your bike, but you have to pay to ride on that track at that time. Your entry fee pays rental of the property (or upkeep if its private) Pays for the machinery that grooms/ waters the track. Any manpower / employee fees. etc, etc. You liscense and registration is (or WAS in "ye olden days") sposed to help pay for upkeep of the roads, creation of new roads, hwy signs etc. ...............................................yea yea, but dont go tryin any triples with the F350 now..... i take NO responsibility here................. O,O

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There's nothing in the constitution that gives you the right to drive
Certainly it would be impossible for the Constitution to spell out all of our rights ... The Bill of Rights on the other hand.... well, it also doesn't list all of our rights either.

Shouldn't it be that my rights extend only as far as they begin to infringe on the rights of another American? Ie; I've got the right to do as I please as long as it doesn't directly affect the ability for another person to do the same?

Privilege : a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

It implies that something is being given ... but wait. How can you give me something I already own? Example;

I ..

1) Pay for the roads via tax or toll
2) Pay fuel tax
3) Pay excise tax on tires AND a "disposal fee"
4) Pay sales tax when I buy the car
5) Pay tax eternally, each year to have a plate
6) Pay for a driver's licence
7) Pay for auto insurance
8) Pay Tax on Auto insurance
9) Pay a tax for a sticker than says my car is safe
10) Pay tax on repairs if #9 says my car is not safe
11) Pay a tax for breaking any rules of the road. Oh sorry, "pay a ticket"
12) Pay a tax to pay the officer's salary, that just wrote me the ticket
13) Pay a penalty tax if my automobile uses "too much" fuel.

Yeah, I think we all pay for the RIGHT to drive.

The only folks that are "privileged" to drive on American roads are those that have not paid taxes in this country.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I think it goes............ You have the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" , the rest.................ya gotta PAY for. and i do agree, we do P A Y with taxes. I dont have the right to a car, i have to buy it. I can drive it on my own property without a liscence, but then i dont have a "right" to my property, i have to buy it. Just sayin'..... ;-)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Well privilege is a synonym of right, so the two can be used interchangably. You can also have you privilege or right to to drive taken away and some people should have never been given the privilege or right to drive in the first place.

Personally I look at driving as a choice. If you choose to drive (take the bus, ride a bicycle, walk or ride a motorcycle) there are certain rules, both written an unwritten, you should follow. One example of an unwritten rule for motorcyclists is "ride like you're invisible." Another unwritten rule I tend to follow is "the bigger vehicle has the right-of-way."

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well privilege is a synonym of right, so the two can be used interchangably. You can also have you privilege or right to to drive taken away and some people should have never been given the privilege or right to drive in the first place...
Well I hate to say I agree with Bill but here it goes...I agree with Bill! You can't just have anyone driving, i.e. a 5 year old, so there are rules (laws) put in place to protect the rest of us from other people’s poor choices. On the surface it makes sense but as already mentioned above, the rules have been turned into a way to generate money and it has gotten out of control.

So, is driving a privilege or right? I wouldn’t say it’s a God given inalienable right but a right given to us by a set of rules and laws that have been put together by the society that we all live in. Since we elect officials to create and maintain these rules and laws it’s our own fault if we don’t like what we get.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Some good stuff in these replies.
Clearly, there have to be basic rules in place. You take a test, minimum age, etc.

However, it is in fact as "right" as you WILL be "allowed" to drive unless you are not physically or mentally able to do so without potentially infringing the rights of others, Ie; run someone over :)

In my mind it's similar to "Shall Issue" concerning concealed carry , or permits. Meaning, you have the RIGHT to do so, unless there is an obvious reason you cant. Officials WILL issue if you meet the guidelines. It's not an arbitrary choice they get to make.

"Privilege" is something given. The gov does not GIVE rights. They simply try to take them all then make us pay to get them back.

Rights are not given.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
In my mind it's similar to "Shall Issue" concerning concealed carry , or permits. Meaning, you have the RIGHT to do so, unless there is an obvious reason you cant. Officials WILL issue if you meet the guidelines. It's not an arbitrary choice they get to make.

"Privilege" is something given. The gov does not GIVE rights. They simply try to take them all then make us pay to get them back.

Rights are not given.
I see "Shall Issue" as different than a drivers license. "They" have to prove you're not worthy of a permit in a "shall issue" situation. You have to prove you're qualified to have a drivers license.

Semantics, of course.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hmmm... I read that on the back of one of those Constitutionalist homemade licenses.

Top Bottom