High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
This weekend I got to ride Kawboy's KX500 again and I scared myself, again. It made me think of the question:

Can you ever really use the full power of a 500 in a decent traction situation?

The reason I ask is that there are times when I am on the pipe and full throttle on my 250, but leaning way forward to compensate. Is it possible to ever get far enough forward on a 500 to use all of its power or are you always having to be careful about not giving it too much?

I'd really like to consider a 500 as my next bike, but they scare me!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer:
I'd really like to consider a 500 as my next bike, but they scare me!

<Arnold voice on>
You are such a girlie man! Why didn't you just say: "Oooooh... These manly bikes are too much for my girlie muscles to hold onto"? ;)
<voice off>

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Gomer, After seeing you ride I didn't think anything scared you!

------------------
Jeff
99 RM 125 "Mr Scary"
72 TS 185 "Mr Ugly"

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Would you count the Sand dunes as a decent traction situation? The 500 is king out there because it is desirable to spin a tire, rather than "hook up" in the conventional sense. I suppose if you were going really fast (say desert racing) it would be possible to use all the 500 has to offer, as you would be geared down enough to accelerate instead of wheelie off. Other than that, maybe you could gain a few pounds... met a guy in the dunes that weighed so much that he had trouble wheelying big... must have been well over 300#. HUGE guy. He leaned over the front, and it didn't go much of anywhere.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I rode a CR500 a couple of months ago and it had to be the closest to a near death experience I have ever realized! :o
More than this 150lbs scrawny *$$ could hang on to.

I'll stick to the 125 & 250 and have a good time doing it. :)

I will say I have respect for those of you that can hang on to those beasts.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Its not only about pure power or using the "ALL" the power. not many pros can utilize the full power of a 250.

here is my thought.
Its how you use the power available, and when that kick butt hit really works. Not to mention like Okie says throttle control is the whole deal with a 500. If you try to ride it like you ride your 250, you will get that poke goober with a stick syndrome for sure.

Honestly the way it is now for me is that a 500 can be rode fast with less effort if you know what your doing.
500's are an aquired taste that a lot of people are finding out is pretty cool.

wardy

goomer on a 500, this will be interesting for sure, i hope you get an A/F.

Martinm2

Aug 20, 2000
It's all about getting used to it I think...I love my 500 in the sand. The first three gears do take some throttle control, but it's all good...

It's what I'm used to, at 185lbs, there's not much that can beat me at a sand drag.. :D

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Bbbom ( I think thats what her name is??)
She has a Cr500af and from what I hear She loves it. You guys must have some like 500 sticker on the side of a 780 tul-aris in dirt form or something.

------------------
http://www.honda-cycles.com
If your not dirty then your not riding hard enough!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Wardy i thought that clutch control would be more important than anything else on the bike, sure the throttle has some part but feeding that power out would be more important right??
I wish i could get my hands on a 500 to see what there like, im 6'5 and 95 kgs and my 250 scares me in the woods sometimes, but sometimes on open grass tracks i feel like i need more power.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
your right to some extent clutch managment is one of the most important things on a 500. but as we all get tired and riding longer we tend to forget the clutch use and concentrate on the right hand and its twisting ability.
wardy

oh....... HEy that comment above about the 2001 being the "last good A/F" is kinda a stretch they will be built and assembled very well for years to come. AJ and my bro in law take a lot of pride in building those bikes! that won't change any time soon!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
You're right CRguy, this petite & dainty little thing loves her CR500!! It isn't an AF, just the old style 94 model with a few mods.

Gomer, not sure what you mean by traction situation but my 500 is great in everything we ride - mud, roots, rocks, good traction, dusty crap, some sand.... For hill climbs it is amazing, but since I'm still learning how to keep myself on the bike I tend to stop in some less than desireable areas but can usually get it to continue up the hill if I can start it without sliding back down the hill. The alternate method is to launch it as far as it will go then catch up!! ;)

What I really love is that I can pop it over any tree, root, rock, rut......whatever I run into. Of course staying on it and upright after we have popped over the obstacle is another skill I am working on but, it's better than trying to drag my KLX over the stuff. As for keeping the front end down, that's all in the clutch/throttle combo. Yes, I do sit as close to on top of the tank as I can.

Wardy said it best, the right hand controls the situation.

I know Karl's buddies were all against me getting the CR500 - she'll get hurt when she gets tired..she's a woman.......

In reality, my CR500 is easier for me to ride on long rides than my KLX300 was. I never did get my KLX set up like I wanted to but after riding the 500 I wasn't interested in the 300 anymore. The weight of the 500 is less than my 300 and the power is very controllable the way we have it set up. As for starting the beast (which is the other complaint I hear) - one to two kicks but I have never been accused of having girlie muscles (at least not more than once!!)

I also rode my brother's KX250 on our trails. It was a fun bike but I felt like I was on a pogo stick. The power was not as controllable for me.

So, Gomer, don't be skeered!!! The big bores won't hurt you if you are nice to them!! ;)

------------------
Bbbom’s Picture Page

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by TwinSpar:
<Arnold voice on>
You are such a girlie man! Why didn't you just say: "Oooooh... These manly bikes are too much for my girlie muscles to hold onto"? ;)
<voice off>

Whatchoo doingk usingk my voice widdout my permission?! Must I pummel you?! I am so ankgry! :p

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I usually forget that I have a clutch on my 500. About the only time that I use it is when I stop. It is all about the throttle control. If by some chance you hear the power rev, get out of the way as soon as possible - most likely that is what I am also trying to do.

------------------
1992 WR 500
If it looked easy, then it wasnt me doing it!!!

S

Saratoga

I am wondering what the lap times are for the 500 class vs 250s. I think the European GP circuit is the only place still racing 500s. Right?

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
You all correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive the 250's may have faster lap times on a MX track.

Look at Carmichael at the MXDN.

------------------
SirT

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by SirThumper:
. . . 250's may have faster lap times on a MX track.

Depends on the track. I've seen some where 125's are turning the quickest times, while some big, wide open natural terrain track the 500's may have the advantage.

Rider has a lot to do with it, of course!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Wardy i was meaning using the clutch more than the throttle in moto, not trail riding, is that right or still throttle control instead of clutching it?
As for 500 vs 250, its the track id say, open track where you can use the power it'll go better, but it is also race situation, get cauaght up or out infront with no one to bother you. They also have a national 500 class here in New Zealand but its a bit of a joke. A guy that has been at the top of racing and has given it up for a while came out last weekend and finished 2nd overall, only to Shanye King , still pretty much anyone can race in the class.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
basically what i am saying is that using the clutch will always be faster. however many of us over the hill not in the best shape riders will find that using the clutch works great laps 1-3. then after that you can still go fast laps 3.5-7 by having good control on the throttle.

wardy

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Well...since I, on occasion, almost have my 250 run out from under me when I give it too much throttle at the wrong time, I think it would be best if I stay away from 500s.

I'm still a little confused, if you can't ride it on the pipe, isn't anything more than a 300 overkill?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Okiewan:
I am a LOT faster on the AF than I am on the KX 310, on the same track. With LESS effort.

Don't remind me :(

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I guess I am with Gomer on this one. Okie - I dont understand why you say its not about lap times, then you state that you are faster on the AF than the KX? If not based on lap times then what? Are you sure that you aren't just faster from corner to corner and on the straights? Maybe FEEL faster? Wouldnt the person or bike with the quickest lap times be the first to cross the finish line and therefore be the fastest? I'm confused.

------------------
TTRGUY - Edmond OK
2000 TTR250
"No matter what the cost of living is, it still remains popular!"

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
sure give away all my secrets LOL

wardy

------------------
"don't wake me.......I am working."

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Interesting question Gomer.
Remember a few things.
500's do require more throttle control...on the pipe...
but the flip side of that is they make a lot more low end power that can be used
"4 stroke like" to chug around not on the pipe..it can be very easy to ride.

Bike choice is like boot/google/bar choice or anything else..whats fits YOU the best is what works the best for YOU as an individual.

Can you ever use all the power that a 500
delivers? Depends on the rider.
I can't use all a 125 has to offer...
but I'm sure I can use more percentage of it than I do on a 500 >shrugs<
I dont enjoy riding the 125's as much as a 500 though. :)
but then I hate coffee and you probably like it?

As far as the lap time issue..
Johnny O won the MXDN on a 125 several years ago.. on a big wide open track.Passing the 500 GP champ of that time easily.
But in Brazil last year at the MXDN Smets on a Open bike passed 250 mounted Larocco, Windham and Everts.
( he DNFed later to a mechanical) but was fastest on the track that particular day.
Can you picture Smets on a 125?
A side note -Everts won the only 500 GP he ever entered over Smets... on a CR500.
So I think Lap times are all about the rider and track that particular day.
( mud is a good example)
but it's just an individual thing..

Most of us do this for a hobby and enjoyment so
Gomer, unless you are trying to beat McGrath this year buy the bike that, for you,
is the most fun to ride and compete on.

Ride as many different bikes as you can to help your decision, but honestly it's hard to go wrong anymore, there are so many great choices.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Well, the answers kind of decided it...I need to stay on a 250. Too often I get out of control and grab a handful when I don't mean to. On a 125, no problem. On a 250, I can usually recover. On a 500, I would be spending a lot of time on the ground.

I don't use 1/2 the power my bike makes, but occassionally (about 1.5 seconds per lap), I feel like I use all of it. I can't really see any need for more, besides, it would hurt me more than it would help me.

Top Bottom