Can you make a 2-stroke street legal?

hojuw

Jun 1, 2003
I was wondering if you could convert a 2 stroke to make it legal because I saw that most conversion kits are for 4 stroke bikes. Are there any emission laws in Missouri preventing me from converting.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Sorry mate, I can't tell you about laws in Missouri, but what I can tell you is where I live all you need is lights and an optional extra, a speedo. You can buy lighting kits for 2-strokes.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
One of my riding buddies has a 2002 KTM 300 that is plated in Missouri. State Highway Patrol is your only true source to determine what is 'legal'. It's been some time but I had 2 strokes plated in the 80's. Check w/highway patrol and let us know waht you find out.

tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
My KDX200 is street legal. It has the required rear view mirror, headlamp, brakelamp, and horn.. which was a kit, plus DOT approved tires. Get the quietest silencer you can, and have your local DMV inspect it. Most of the little old ladies don't know a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke, it just meet all the requirements. Don't ask don't tell, and you'll be ripping down mainstreet before you know it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
KDX is legal, KLX is not I believe. Other two strokes usually aren't able to be made legal unless they are alot older. Here in the fine state of CA, if you get one registered, you slipped through the cracks usually. It's a matter of emissions.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
your first trip down main street will run about a 1000 bux by the time you get the kit, stator, tires, tag, taxes,,i am considering the same thing though... does anyone know if you have to have a speedometer?

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
i am not sure about your state but dont go to the cops they may steer you wrong talk to the service department at your dealer.baja designs makes kits for just about every thing,i just did my cr500 its great.a dual sport bike sells for 1,000 more than a stock one.they can also advise you on rules for your state.they do bikes all over in and out of the country.i mounted a speedo for a byecycle it gives all kinds of info and cost less than 30bucks it uses a magnite on the wheel as a pick-up you just have to set it for your wheel dia. it tells you how to do it.

arrow101

Feb 23, 2004
you should move to Australia. We have CR 500's street legal, YZ 250's street legal KTM 300's street legal as well as XR 650's, WR 450's KTM 520/450 4 strokes all street legal off the shelf.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Arrow Mate:
Sounds like you guys have got it made down there!! Do you have ALL these bikes "legal off the shelf"? Does that mean that you folks have access to new CR500's and YZ250'S with lights and stuff on them - ready for the road?? I have a KX500 that I have legalized here in Michigan - I spent alot of time and effort to build it and would be shocked to here that the manufacturers are producing street legal MX bikes and not making them accessable to the USA!! If you do have them down there maybe you and I could setup an "underground" import service!!
Woodsy

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Woodsy:

maybe this link here may shed some light to your question:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/CRE500/ads.htm

woodsy said:
Hi Arrow Mate:
Sounds like you guys have got it made down there!! Do you have ALL these bikes "legal off the shelf"? Does that mean that you folks have access to new CR500's and YZ250'S with lights and stuff on them - ready for the road?? I have a KX500 that I have legalized here in Michigan - I spent alot of time and effort to build it and would be shocked to here that the manufacturers are producing street legal MX bikes and not making them accessable to the USA!! If you do have them down there maybe you and I could setup an "underground" import service!!
Woodsy

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Yep my KX250 is streetable- I ride it on the street all the time. Sure am glad my next door neighbor is the commander of the local GSP post and rides both dirt and street. Amazing how easy it was to get the kx "streetable" under those circumstances. :) Although I don't think I will be taking it down main street (or the main highway) anytime soon! DIrt roads will be just fine for me thank you very much. :)

Man I envy you dudes I mean mates down in OZ!

arrow101

Feb 23, 2004
yep mate you can roll up and buy a YZ 250 with lights and a complience plate all ready to roll and legaly ride on the roads.

The CR 500 E was a limited edition with the last of the 500's but there were a few put out. A company here in oz YZR engineering do the convestion kits for the YZ's we have has 2001/2003 and new 2004 YZ 250 2 strokes legal for the streets.
They also make the WR 400's, 426's and 450's legal for the roads thats the only way you get them full street legal.
Same deal with the KTM's there is KTM 200,250 and 300 2 stroke EXC's are all street legal and the 400,450, 520, 525 4 stroke EXC's are all legal to ride on the streets off the showroom floor

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
There is a differance between what is "legal" according to DOT, and what is "legal" according to EPA. You should know that anything that is not EPA approved is actually illegal from a Federal standpoint. They (EPA) are watching this, by reviewing state registrations, and will not get involved unless it gets to some arbitrary number that they decide. I got this from a dealer that has had this discussion with people in these agencies. In summary, don't ask...don't tell works for now............

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Never seen a CR500 street legal, but hey, stranger things have happened. The last 2 stroke street legal bike here in CA was the Yamaha and it was a street only race bike in the early 80's. Speedo depends on the state, the main reason for them is the Odometer only, for the purpose of tracking the mileage on sales. You can get by with an Odometer here in CA only, that's all that's required. Riding a 2 stroker on the street could be real fun for sure, hold on!!

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I'm in the process of making a ATK 250 street legal in Pa.
First thing is you have to make sure the title says MC and not ORV, (My sons TTR and the other boys KTM both say ORV).
I got lucky and found one that was a real title.
I went to the salvage yard and stripped a Honda something dual sport of all the bar controls, horn, wiring, dual filiment light and housing, brake light switch for less than half the price of a kit.
You can get just about everything through a catalog, on line or through a dealer.
The output of the stator has to be @ 80/100 watts, (ATK from factory-100 wattts)
I went on line and down loaded a copy of inspection reg for PA. for a bike. Then went to where I want to get it inspected and explained what I wanted to do, and if i was all 100% legal WOULD they inspect it, (funny 3 dealerships said no), before I found a guy who would.
Now I have to put it together.
You can type in "Dual Sport mototrcycle kits", and everyone who makes them will come up on line.
If you aren't creative, (I like to tinker) a kit is the way to go, I've looked at the instructions, easy, straight forward. Just plug it in and go-go.
I'll let you know how my project bike comes out.
Joe
I'm still fast, but the world is moving faster than I am!

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
hojuw said:
I was wondering if you could convert a 2 stroke to make it legal because I saw that most conversion kits are for 4 stroke bikes. Are there any emission laws in Missouri preventing me from converting.

My KDX is tagged in MO. Super easy and costs about $30 in parts.

Just shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I HIGHLY rec you put some real mirrors on as they make the bike alot less dirt looking. Without them - I get pulled over almost every time I go out (mostly The Man just doing looky loos). With them - never get a second look.

Sean

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
OHHHHHHHHHH! Good point!
I had forgotten about the moirrors!
MY ATK, (I have a 250 now that I race H.S. with) has a threaded hole on the throttle assy where a mirror will screw right into.
Hopefuly the new ATK will have the same, (I can always swap it out).
I expect, "John Law" to pull me over for a while, that's why I'm making it 10000000000 % legal.
I'm 46 and the days of runnin' things illegal are past me.
Thanks,
Joe :flame:

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Joe:

The real key is finding the right inspector to let you slip past (legally of course). The MO motor hehicle statues are vague at best for cycles. They will have to see a mirror, a functioning tail and brake light and a functioning headlight.

MO makes no reqs for batteries, speedos, odos, blinkers, high beam etc. Technically you should have a horn. He asked about my horn - I just cracked the throttle - louder than most horns. I would rec you pick up a $45 horn kit from Four Strokes Only. It is a cool self contained little deal that comes with a button and runs off a 9 v battery.

Anyway - after inspection - I just carried it, my title and my $40ish to the most "good ole boy" DMV I could find. Small towns are always better. They process all sorts of ATV requests, tractors etc - so they are use to dealing with non -passenger types of transactions.

If you are near St. Louis - let me know. I can direct you to the fella I use. Nice guys and is a rider too.

benk

Mar 31, 2004
woodsy said:
Do you have ALL these bikes "legal off the shelf"? Does that mean that you folks have access to new CR500's and YZ250'S with lights and stuff on them - ready for the road??
If the manufacturer makes it with lights and a compliance plate, its registerable. which means all KTM exc's, Husaberg FE's, VOR's, Husky's, TM's, Gas Gas's, Yamaha WR's and the new YZ250wr. An eastern states company puts compliance plates on the last CR500's in captivity :thumb: and someone else put electric starts on XR400's. Unfortunately if it's an MX bike it cant be registered here either, which rules out CRF's and RM/KX 4-strokes.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
My sons KTM has a nice title!
Only problem is in the box the tells what kind it is, it states ORV not MX, so although it has a title, (all new bikes in Pa MUST have a title now) it only for ORV, so you can't get a plate for it.
That's in Pa anyway :(
Joe

arrow101

Feb 23, 2004
Im not sure how but i have seen a CRF 450 and a 04 CR 125 road rego's here In Western Australia.
Not sure how then went about it and what the rego conditions were I didnt get a chance to ask them

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I never thought about over seas!
Do you guys down under have regular titles like we do here in the states?? Each stat has it's only, (sometimes silly ) rules, inspections.
I've heard that quads are street legal in Europe????????
Joe

Top Bottom